Intro to Linkedin class

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Intro to Linkedin class

Postby Michael Thompson » Sun May 10, 2009 7:45 am

What: Introduction to LinkedIn
Where: Library
When: Thursday May 21st starting at 7PM

The class will go over the basic set up of LinkedIn and the advantages of using networking to land a job in the current marketplace. The presentation and training will be geared towards individuals that are looking for work and have not used LinkedIn, however the class is open to all.

There are 25 spaces available so please sign up with the library if you are interested. Registration is required.

Thank you,
Mike
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." Thomas Jefferson
Michael Thompson

Re: Intro to Linkedin class

Postby andysinnh » Sun May 10, 2009 8:19 am

So let me share something about LinkedIn to help get people to seriously consider this....

If you're not familiar, LinkedIn is a professional networking tool that allows you to create a resume-looking profile, and connect to many of those you know or who know about you. You can now do online much of what you needed to do with phone and email connections in the past. And, if you've ever been looking for a job, this level of networking is typically how you find your next position.

I've personally spent some time lately updating my profile, and also connecting with many I know both personally as well as in my field. I've also focused my profile in highlighting the technology areas where I have experience - as opposed to making it more broadly-focused to all of the types of things I've done over the years. The net result is that over the past 6 months I've gotten 3 unsolicited contacts from recruiters based on what my profile has shown. So far, I've responded to each, had a brief discussion to talk about the position, and then politely declined as I've opted to stay where I was. But in the last case, I actually was able to name a few candidates for the recruiter to follow up with, at least 2 of which will be seriously considered.

As you can see, LinkedIn can be a very valuable tool in searching for a job, or just making yourself visible to others for future job searches for yourself or others that you know. This is a wholehearted recommendation to attend the session Michael has outlined here if you need to know more about LinkedIn.

cheers - andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Michael Thompson » Sun May 10, 2009 7:33 pm

Thank you Andy, I was planning on adding more information regarding the benefits to LinkedIn but your post helps a lot.

I plan to go over some of the points you shared during the training and others. If anyone has any questions regarding LinkedIn please feel free to also use this thread to ask, there are many people that are using the site that are involved in the forum and I'm sure together we can help each other.

Look forward to sharing how the training goes and the possibility to adding more dates in the future.

Thanks,
Mike
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." Thomas Jefferson
Michael Thompson

Postby Michael Thompson » Mon May 18, 2009 8:50 pm

Only a couple spots left, look forward to seeing all that have signed up already.

Mike
Michael Thompson

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water