Fairpoint billing screwups

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Fairpoint billing screwups

Postby mmoy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:33 pm

I guess the articles on billing problems at Fairpoint are true. We've had slow service on Fairpoint DSL on and off for a month or two according to the kids.

I just reviewed my March bill and it had a double bill on it because my previous payment was past due. Of course I have Direct Payment.

I checked my bank account and they took the right amount of money out of my checking account in February and March but the February payment went to Verizon. I suspect some screwup that was fixed after the bill went out. Everything worked out the way it should have but I'll be watching my Fairpoint bills for a while from now on.
mmoy

Re: Fairpoint billing screwups

Postby Michael Pelletier » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:53 pm

I applied for a couple of jobs back in August-September last year having to do with managing and implementing this cutover from Verizon's decrepit old infrastructure to their new equipment. On the one hand, I'm glad I didn't get the job in light of this big wreck, but on the other hand it's too bad I didn't get the job in light of the years of experience I have in domain migrations and mergers.

I have a feeling that they were under a great deal of pressure to get the migration completed as the deadline slipped from October to November to December - positions of interest to me were open well into December - and as a result they probably couldn't meticulously cover all the bases that they needed to cover, or ferret out all the hidden logic landmines in the legacy systems and software. And perhaps the new guys didn't have the nerve to call a further time-out in spite of the pressure they were under. Perhaps they were too closely focused on their fancy new fault-tolerant HP cluster hardware technology, and as a result the software - and the tedium of mapping out a decades-old spider-web of inter-dependencies - fell by the wayside.

I don't envy those guys their position right about now, that's for sure.
Michael Pelletier

Re: Fairpoint billing screwups

Postby nis » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:23 pm

mmoy - exact same thing happened to me. I called and they said they are just transitioning and not to worry :) We will see what the next bill says.
nis

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water