NH considering cutting toll discount

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

NH considering cutting toll discount

Postby rmorrissey » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:17 pm

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_ha ... _discount/

CONCORD, N.H.—New Hampshire is considering eliminating the 30 percent discount given to all noncommercial turnpike users and capping what commuters pay each month.

Transportation Commissioner George Campbell asked the House Public Works Committee on Tuesday to eliminate the noncommercial discount for E-ZPass users. Campbell wants to cap what commuters pay at $30 per month. Infrequent turnpike users would no longer get a discount, or a very small one depending on which plan lawmakers implemented.

The 10 percent discount given to commercial drivers would not change
rmorrissey

Re: NH considering cutting toll discount

Postby Wayne » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:55 pm

Notice that they cleverly set the $30 cap to be per transponder, rather than per account. That means my $80/month divided by my three transponders will be going up.
Wayne

Postby Speeder » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:29 am

I've been trying to save myself soem money recently, for obvious reasons. From where I live in the SW part of town, I can cut through Amherst to 101, travel thru Bedford, and get to 293 in Manchester, and it only adds 5 minutes to the trip.

Like my cable bill, grocery bill, heating bill, and all my other bills, the EZ Pass bill will be trimmed as well. Sorry to any Amherst or Bedford people for having to cut through your town. :lol:
Speeder

Postby RBarnes » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:00 pm

Let's put blame where it belongs for this attempt at increasing our taxes...

SPONSOR: Rep. Candace Bouchard, D-Concord.

Being from Concord she's not taxing her own constitutes. Isn't that always the way, look for others to pay for what you want... people don't complain when they get the benefits but when you're the one being forced to pay for others stuff its not so hot.

Quite frankly this isn't all that much different then the transfer station PAYT debate.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Michael Pelletier » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:46 pm

John Lynch is the one who signed last session's 17% increase in state spending based on revenue-number soufflé, so he and the Democrats who drafted that budget abomination deserve even more of the blame than Rep. Bouchard. Her toll proposal is just another piece of the Lynch legacy, along with this:

Michael Pelletier

Postby Wayne » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:56 pm

Michael Pelletier wrote:Her toll proposal is just another piece of the Lynch legacy

Tolls aren't partisan. We had them under a Republican governor and legislature for years.
Wayne

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:58 pm

Wayne

NOw that my husband isn't commuting to MA every day our toll usage is only $30 for three vehicles. Are you saying they are going to charge $30 for each regardless of usage? I hope I misunderstood.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Wayne » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:14 pm

No, the proposal is to charge a MAXIMUM of $30 per vehicle per month. Each vehicle's charge would be calculated (and capped) separately I guess.
Wayne

Postby mmoy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:25 pm

The transportation commissioner is proposing a bunch of new construction and a boatload of other tolls around the state.
mmoy

Postby Ann Goldman » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:12 am

Wayne wrote:Notice that they cleverly set the $30 cap to be per transponder, rather than per account. That means my $80/month divided by my three transponders will be going up.

I have to disagree with your math Wayne. You make about 44 passes through the tolls per month going South which amounts to $23 with the discount. This does not include trips through the tolls not related to commuting. Without the discount your car will go up to $30.
Our youngest daughter currently passes the northbound toll at least 20 per week for a monthly total of $56 with the discount. This will drop to $30 for a savings of $26. She also makes other trips through the tolls that I didn't factor in.

Without factoring in my sporadic toll passes we would save at least $19 for the 2 cars. I don't make nearly enought trips to cancel out the $19 in savings.
Ann Goldman

Postby Tom Surette » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:42 pm

It doesn't matter. It will only be a period of time before the $30 max cap is eliminated, as the discount.
Tom Surette

Postby Michael Pelletier » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:16 am

Wayne wrote:Tolls aren't partisan. We had them under a Republican governor and legislature for years.

Under a Republican governor and legislature, the tolls were lower and the discount was higher, remember?

Doesn't this look familiar at all? Ring any bells? Do you remember the old Bedford and Hooksett signs?
Image Image

From July 31, 2005: "NH Insider - Forums - NH Issues - Lynch deserves credit.."
As far as credit goes, how about to the Governor [Lynch] and Council for actually making EZPass a reality? About time this thing went live.
Michael Pelletier

Postby mmoy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:53 am

There was a discussion on EZ-Pass bugs on the radio yesterday. It seems that MA has their share of problems with EZ-Pass too.
mmoy

Postby Ann Goldman » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:15 am

Michael Pelletier wrote:
Wayne wrote:Tolls aren't partisan. We had them under a Republican governor and legislature for years.

Under a Republican governor and legislature, the tolls were lower and the discount was higher, remember?

Doesn't this look familiar at all? Ring any bells? Do you remember the old Bedford and Hooksett signs?
Image Image

From July 31, 2005: "NH Insider - Forums - NH Issues - Lynch deserves credit.."
As far as credit goes, how about to the Governor [Lynch] and Council for actually making EZPass a reality? About time this thing went live.

When I moved to Merrimack the tolls were 25 cents with a 50% discount. The tolls then doubled to 50 cents - all under Republican rule - Bernie Streeter was our executive councilor at that time.
Ann Goldman

Postby RBarnes » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:18 am

I'd like to share a little history by posting a comment made on the union leader in response to an article from 2007 when the Toll discounts were first lessened after EZ pass was put in.

The Costs just don't add up...

Rates were raised in 1989.

In 2006, Tokens (available at 50% of the cost) were replaced with a 30% discount on an increased fare. In order to continue to receive ANY discount (on the increased fares), it was necessary to put up $54.61 UPFRONT for tags and deposit.

The cost of the fare was raised in order to "update" the tolls with EZ-Pass lanes using outdated technology. "A high-speed E-ZPass lane can process 50% more cars per hour (1800 vehicles) than an E-ZPass-only lane in an old-style toll plaza (1200 vehicles). " http://jerseycityonline.com/news/ezpass.htm
Wouldn't this have better achieved the goal of "less pollution" and lower costs?

Now that the "cost-saving" system has been implemented, why are the fares are being hiked yet again?!?! Perhaps because it's so "EZ" with an automatic (mandatory) bill pay account that you don't even have to look at?

I don't expect that this will be the last of the toll-hikes. Is I-93 widening the writing on the wall?
- Jon, Bradford
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Next

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water