Get a little money back from Comcast for the outage.

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re: Get a little money back from Comcast for the outage.

Postby Firewoodguy.com » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:13 pm

For you people that requested and recieved a Comcast rebate from the outage during the Dec ice storm. Good luck to you. You might have won the battle but you didn't win the war. I would think that Comcast has you flagged in their database and they will recoup " your FULL rebate and more " on your next rate increase. Maybe, the next outage that you have, Comcast should charged you "cheep people" a reconnection fee instead of a rebate. :lol:
Just my 2 cents worth.

Firewoodguy.com
Firewoodguy.com

Postby Joel » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:38 pm

Thanks for the editorial opinion.

:roll:
Joel

Postby Kathy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:03 pm

For you people that requested and recieved a Comcast rebate from the outage during the Dec ice storm. Good luck to you. You might have won the battle but you didn't win the war. I would think that Comcast has you flagged in their database and they will recoup " your FULL rebate and more " on your next rate increase. Maybe, the next outage that you have, Comcast should charged you "cheep people" a reconnection fee instead of a rebate.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Firewoodguy.com

Maybe if you read my previous post you would understand why Comcast customers are entitled to the refund.

Comcast charges you in advance for their services. Any Comcast customer had already paid for services and then did not receive them during the outage. Where I was without power and Comcast for five days and I have all three (phone, cable, internet), my refund was close to $40, and this was $40 I had already paid.

Do you have Comcast Mr. Firewoodguy? Do you like to pay for services you don't receive?

Kathy
Kathy

Postby Firewoodguy.com » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:34 pm

Kathy wrote:
For you people that requested and recieved a Comcast rebate from the outage during the Dec ice storm. Good luck to you. You might have won the battle but you didn't win the war. I would think that Comcast has you flagged in their database and they will recoup " your FULL rebate and more " on your next rate increase. Maybe, the next outage that you have, Comcast should charged you "cheep people" a reconnection fee instead of a rebate.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Firewoodguy.com

Maybe if you read my previous post you would understand why Comcast customers are entitled to the refund.

Comcast charges you in advance for their services. Any Comcast customer had already paid for services and then did not receive them during the outage. Where I was without power and Comcast for five days and I have all three (phone, cable, internet), my refund was close to $40, and this was $40 I had already paid.

Do you have Comcast Mr. Firewoodguy? Do you like to pay for services you don't receive?

Kathy

Yes, I have comcast for about 7 years. I just upgraded last year to the tripple package. My point is that Comcast did not contrubute or have anything to do with the outage of trees and etc falling on their service lines, it was an act of god. But if you recieved a credit on your Comcast account for the outage, than good for you. I believe that Comcast bills in advance, but the payment is not due untill the end of the billing period. I also think that Comcast will amend/address the "future"un-forseen outages in their next PUC meeting, what U think.

Firewoodguy.com
Firewoodguy.com

Postby spnorm » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:36 am

Now, I'm someone who is sick of Comcast's regular rate increases when I see no increase in the value of my service. Having said that, I rather agree with Firewoodguy. While we all like to get money back, and don't like paying for something we don't receive, I don't know that it is Comcast's resposibility in this case. It's not as if their signal went down or something. They could just as easily pull a PSNH and charge everyone the cost of repairing all the wires that were downed. Issuing rebates is a PR move on their part, but they ultimately have to cover that expense somewhere. Honestly, I can see both sides of the argument, but I won't be asking for the money.
spnorm

Postby Kathy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:27 pm

It may not be Comcast's fault that I didn't have their service for x amount of days, but I had already paid for x amount of days. If I hadn't been billed in advance for these services and already paid, I couldn't and wouldn't expected to get $ back. I wouldn't have had to ask for $ back if I hadn't been billed in advance. I didn't have electricity for X days, but I wasn't charged for it either, so no refund necessary.

You can't bill for and receive payment for a service and then not provide it. Let's say I bill you and you pay for me to mow your lawn twice a week in May. There's a freak snowstorm and your lawn is buried for half the month. Shouldn't I credit or refund you for the weeks I don't mow your lawn? It's not my fault it snowed, but you already paid.

Maybe Comcast needs to change their billing policy. If they don't want to issue refunds, don't bill for service that hasn't been delivered yet.

Kathy
Kathy

Postby spnorm » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:12 am

Like I said, I can see the argument from both sides. For example, say that instead that you have a large yard and I use a lawn tractor to cut it. A storm sends a tree crashing though my shed, destroying the tractor. While I might agree to refund your pre-payment while I am out of service, you might also get a notice that my rates are going up, since I can't make a profit after having to shell out a couple grand on a new tractor. That's kind of playing devil's advocate for the sake of the discussion, but the point is a business is going to make sure they make money. You can pay me now, or pay me later. I don't begrudge anyone asking Comcast for a refund. I just think the cost will eventually be reflected somewhere.
spnorm

Postby Kathy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:32 am

If you hadn't billed me in advance, a refund would not be an issue. I still don't understand how Comcast is able to bill in advance. Are there any other businesses that are allowed to bill in advance?

Kathy
Kathy

Postby Confucius » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:30 am

Kathy wrote:If you hadn't billed me in advance, a refund would not be an issue. I still don't understand how Comcast is able to bill in advance. Are there any other businesses that are allowed to bill in advance?

Kathy

Magazine subscriptions? Newspapers? Along that line, if I don't get an issue delivered for whatever reason I expect credit. I get it too. I don't care if it's an act of Yahweh, or what. That's not my problem. I paid for service that wasn't delivered.
My font > yours.
Confucius

Postby Firewoodguy.com » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:18 pm

Kathy wrote:If you hadn't billed me in advance, a refund would not be an issue. I still don't understand how Comcast is able to bill in advance. Are there any other businesses that are allowed to bill in advance?

Kathy

Billing in Advanced ! ! !
Kathy, I can name a few companies that bill in advance ; American Express annual fees; most all Insurance policies premiums are due / billed in advanced upon renewal ( i.e. Auto insurance, Health and Dental Insurance plans and etc.) ; monthly home morgages loans; monthly auto loans payment coupon books; Bus,Boat and Air transportation fees; all mailing and shipping fees; and the list goes on. So if Comcast and or who ever, refund you for interupted services and/or no service at all, thats fine. Everyone just have different opinions as to what an act of god means or services interupted by no control of themselves. :)

Firewoodguy.com
Firewoodguy.com

Previous

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water