Request: Let the Cable Committee know about your problems

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Postby RD » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:32 am

Perhaps this experience will convince more folks to stop using ISP-supplied email, and start using web-based email (yahoo mail, gmail, etc.). They are free, safe from viruses, and accessible anywhere in the world where there is an internet connection or cell phone connectivity, regardless of who your home ISP provider is. I recently spent a week in Europe and always had access to my web-based email through my cell phone.
RD

Postby Ann Goldman » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:44 am

RD wrote:Perhaps this experience will convince more folks to stop using ISP-supplied email, and start using web-based email (yahoo mail, gmail, etc.). They are free, safe from viruses, and accessible anywhere in the world where there is an internet connection or cell phone connectivity. I recently spent a week in Europe and always had access to my web-based email through my cell phone.

RD,

Yahoo has major problems. I am missing at least 20 emails on my Yahoo account. I use it for my business and I always send a copy of my ebay messages to it for archival purposes. If I have 7 shipping notices for customers there will always be one that never shows up.

I also was subjected to multiple viruses in my bulk folder earlier in the year through my yahoo account. It took months to get rid of them. Yahoo was so clogged with viruses that there was a major shut down last Spring. The problem occured with Yahoo Groups that allowed attachments in their email posts. Although attachments aren't allowed in my group, for some reason I was subjected to them as the group owner when I deleted a post from an infected member.

Yahoo has been the reason that major viruses have spread so vastly and quickly.

Now I am getting duplicate spam mail from my Adelphia account but at least I am getting my real mail too.

Annie
Ann Goldman

Postby Ann Goldman » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:45 am

Joel wrote:I haven't gotten the email to change my email address over to Comcast yet. When I try to make the change on welcome.comcast.net it tells me it's not time yet. Did you guys already get notified by Comcast to change?

I got two notices from Comcast before I did the conversion and followed the link that the notice provided.

Annie
Ann Goldman

Postby Joel » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:51 pm

Thanks Ann. Glad your email is getting better. I guess they are not switching emails by town but by other areas in their system.
Joel

Postby Brian McCarthy » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:05 pm

I have heard from several people who got the 'transfer' email that it got routed into their Adelphia Spam folder....

I am not sure (since I really didn't used Adelphia's mail) if there was an option to have spam deleted without you having to review it first. If this was possible, then perhaps people who never got an email, actually got it deleted before they saw it.

I have asked Michael and DaveM for some info via a PM to see if some direct requests from the committee help.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby Ann Goldman » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:55 pm

Brian McCarthy wrote:I have heard from several people who got the 'transfer' email that it got routed into their Adelphia Spam folder....

I am not sure (since I really didn't used Adelphia's mail) if there was an option to have spam deleted without you having to review it first. If this was possible, then perhaps people who never got an email, actually got it deleted before they saw it.

I have asked Michael and DaveM for some info via a PM to see if some direct requests from the committee help.

Brian

I spent a long time at adelphia's site studying my configuration. I had never had a spam filter and didn't have a bulk or spam folder. The only thing I changed yesterday morning was to have my adelphia mail not deleted after being forwarded to comcast. Since then I have received over a dozen emails. I just checked online again and my two folders - inbox and trash - are still empty. I have email in my sent folder that is from 3 years ago that is still there.
So even after trying not to have my adelphia mail get deleted after forwarding, it is still getting deleted. Perhaps outlook express is doing this but for a a few days most of my adelphia mail was not even making it to outlook. The trash folder gets emptied after 7 days but the email that I am missing is from 3 days ago. None of my Yahoo messages made it to the adelphia site but was intercepted and deleted by Comcast. Personally, I feel as though comcast is violating my privacy by stealing my email and doing what it wants with it.

I can't even notify contacts of my new email address unless I address just a few contacts at a time. This would take me hours to accomplish. When I tried to notify 20 people at once I got all sorts of error messages and the email remained in my outbox and did not get into my sent box. If I can find the error message I will post it.

Annie
Ann Goldman

Postby Ann Goldman » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:47 pm

I just spoke with a comcast rep (very looong story). She said that the conversions are being done in batches and not to do the conversion unless you get the email directing you to.

I am now getting double emails and she will be researching that as well as the original problem of legitimate emails being treated as spam.

I have told her (forgot to write down her name) as well as Joe Kinney who originally called me regarding a cable tv problem that Brian McCarthy is the head of the cable committe.

Brian, I told them that you were the liason between Merrimack and Comcast. I hope I was correct in telling them that. I also told them you had a list of problems compiled from comcast customers in Merrimack.

Annie
Ann Goldman

Postby davem » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:36 pm

Hi,

I figured out my issue with the email conversion, Stupid user error.

In the form it looks for service provider, adelphia user name and password.

In the user name field I was cutting and pasting my full user name such as

mailto:username@adelphia.net

when all it was looking for was username.
But the error message returned is fairly vauge stating the server has experienced an error please try again later.

So I'm on my way to Comcast email conversion.
davem

Postby Brian McCarthy » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:02 pm

Ann Goldman wrote:I just spoke with a comcast rep (very looong story). She said that the conversions are being done in batches and not to do the conversion unless you get the email directing you to.

I am now getting double emails and she will be researching that as well as the original problem of legitimate emails being treated as spam.

I have told her (forgot to write down her name) as well as Joe Kinney who originally called me regarding a cable tv problem that Brian McCarthy is the head of the cable committe.

Brian, I told them that you were the liason between Merrimack and Comcast. I hope I was correct in telling them that. I also told them you had a list of problems compiled from comcast customers in Merrimack.

Annie

That's fine Anne.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby Michael Thompson » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:43 pm

I just wanted to state that I had to call Comcast again today for my email issue. I did not recieve a call from my issue two weeks ago.

I finally have a Comcast account however I will not be able to forward my adelphia accounts now due to website issues.

Brian, thank you for forwarding my request. However I didn't receive a call or any communication.

So far the "service" in customer service is missing from my experiences with Comcast.

Not to mention today when there was an outage I called Comcast and was told it was my modem. Went to the local office and was told, it's not your modem the service is down, the techs know about it already. I stated that they didn't, and was then told I wasn't talking to the right people over the phone becuase they do know it is down.

GREAT service...... no really
Michael Thompson

Postby M@ » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:03 pm

Our connection went down this morning around 8am. Rebooted the cable modem and it came back - but I've no clue what caused it to go down.

M@
M@

Postby andysinnh » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:08 pm

M@ wrote:Our connection went down this morning around 8am. Rebooted the cable modem and it came back - but I've no clue what caused it to go down.

M@

Ours went down at well around the same time. Modem reboot didn't work, but it came back about 20 mins later on it's own. Was eerily similar to when we were down for a day or so during the transition a few weeks back.....

andy
andysinnh

Postby Brian McCarthy » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:22 pm

I called this morning 'problem with a node in your area' - I am not sure how wide spread the issue was - I am in southern Merrimack.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby mort » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:04 pm

Northern Merrimack experienced the same issue this morning with the Internet being down. Oddly, while I was in calling-queue for a customer service representative, the modem lights started blipping again!

Our Internet -- it's Comcastic!!!
mort

Postby rmorrissey » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:12 pm

My cable modem was off line this morning, I called at 9:45 and was told no one else in the area had reported an issue, so the problem must be with my connection. He scheduled a tech to come out to my house later that day. Later this morning I spoke with a neighbor who told me their internet was down as well and when they called they were told there was an outage in our area (they called at 9:30, 15 minutes before me), anyway later this morning the internet connection came back up, no tech came to my house, or called to cancel the appointment.
rmorrissey

PreviousNext

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water