Giving away the Library Land

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Postby Loweresttaxes » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:50 pm

Selling it is a great idea! I'm with you on that one. I mean you can't get a good chicken wing in all of reeds ferry!
"AS FAR AS I'VE SEEN, HIS [Mahmoud Ahmadinejad] ONLY BITCH IS OUR DESIRE TO PREVENT HIS COUNTRY DEVELOPING NUCLEAR POWER." -Fitsy
Loweresttaxes

Postby RBarnes » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:52 pm

Just an FYI, since it seems most here are against this move, should the town council move forward with this land donation and we as a whole are not convinced that it is a good idea let's not forget that with the new charter we can petition to have their vote reconsidered.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby RFTO1111 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:52 pm

Heck, I would even settle for a Kentucky fried chicken joint. Gotta go all the way to Nashua for that. And just like the former new library, it would make one heck of a social gathering place. Sell it to the highest bidder.
RFTO1111

Postby mmoy » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:59 pm

RFTO1111 wrote:Heck, I would even settle for a Kentucky fried chicken joint. Gotta go all the way to Nashua for that. And just like the former new library, it would make one heck of a social gathering place. Sell it to the highest bidder.

The logical place for a KFC would be the abandoned Taco Bell as they're
both owned by Yum Brands. Of course at the rate we're going, they'd
have to switch to non-trans-fats first.
mmoy

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:17 pm

RFT

Heck, I would even settle for a Kentucky fried chicken joint. Gotta go all the way to Nashua for that

There's one at the Manchester/Bedford line too. But you're right - I'd like a KFC in town. Can't get enough of those trans fats.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby JMac1000 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:11 pm

At the Council meeting tonight, they decided AGAINST putting the library land on the Warrant Article to allow for any use for this year. I think it was the right decision, and appreciate the recondideration. Despite what some say, this is a good Council. I think That holding off this article this year is good news, as I see that site as being too valuable, regardless of whether the library is built there, or not. I think its worth seeing if the Town can work out a reasonable plan for a library 3 -5 years from now, or when the climate can support it. I think there needs to be new trustees that can work with people in town to put a proposal out there that people will support. I also think if there are new trustees, they should not rush a new plan out there, and take a few years to get this right, raising private money, ect. If it takes 5 years to get a plan out there that people can support, it better than another rejection by the voters in a shorter timeframe.

One other site, Front St was thought to be the more likely site for a Courthouse, and the TM found out that it is not suitable. The TM is going to look for other possible sites, including possible donated land from the School District, Water District, and a leading Developer who owns land up by Exit 12, and get back to the Council in March. I think they will find suitable land, and the Court will get built here. I think it makes sense to have a court here, because of reduced overtime police costs. I don't think its enough money to give away prime land.
JMac1000

Postby RD » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:39 pm

Jamie, were any particular council members speaking out FOR including the library land on the article?
RD

Postby Loweresttaxes » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:50 pm

I had a bag of Snyders Pretzels filled with jalapeno chedder cheese product...

Just wasn't as good as it used to be...

Then I saw that it was trans fat free.
"AS FAR AS I'VE SEEN, HIS [Mahmoud Ahmadinejad] ONLY BITCH IS OUR DESIRE TO PREVENT HIS COUNTRY DEVELOPING NUCLEAR POWER." -Fitsy
Loweresttaxes

Postby Ann Goldman » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:41 pm

Loweresttaxes wrote:I had a bag of Snyders Pretzels filled with jalapeno chedder cheese product...

Even the trolls don't get fed like they used to :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ann Goldman

Postby Debra Huffman » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:15 am

Jamie MacFarland wrote:At the Council meeting tonight, they decided AGAINST putting the library land on the Warrant Article to allow for any use for this year.

Jamie, I attended the meeting and I had a different impression of their decision. I believe they decided that they needed more information, and asked Mr. Hickey to discuss the idea further with the School Board, MVD, and a private landowner (Flatley) so they know what their complete set of options are, then they will make a decision. I did not hear them say they decided against using the library land.

I could be mistaken... my mind occasionally glazes over in these meetings. :lol:

UPDATE: Apparently I slipped into a fog for a moment at last night's meeting and missed the details of this discussion. Someone has privately assured me that Jamie's post is correct - the library land has been taken off the table.
Last edited by Debra Huffman on Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debra Huffman

Postby Loweresttaxes » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:33 am

Ann Goldman wrote:
Loweresttaxes wrote:I had a bag of Snyders Pretzels filled with jalapeno chedder cheese product...

Even the trolls don't get fed like they used to :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now THAT was funny. Good one Ann.
Loweresttaxes

Postby RFTO1111 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:51 pm

Maybe I heard this wrong, but I thought I heard the town manager say having a courthouse in town as opposed to not having one in town would cost 130K in overtime. That would seem a little steep to me to say the least. In other words 2500 bucks a week in OT. Seems a little out of wack to me, and as far as I know, court is not in session 7 days a week whether its in Nashua, Merrimack or wherever. Like I said, maybe I misheard or misunderstood, but I think this was one of his reasons for keeping the courthouse in Merrimack along with more business for the local gas stations and restauraunts etc. I ask again, why do we even need a court house in this town, especially when it requires us to give away town owned land that at best we could sell to private industry.
RFTO1111

Postby mmoy » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:01 pm

If we assume that the police have to travel to the courthouse a lot and
they had to travel back and forth 20 minutes to another town to testify
in cases, then I could see additional overtime or personnel costs to cover
for them in the time that they would travel.

It seems that colocation of court buildings and police stations would be
most efficient for the city or town where the court building is located.

Why does the state require that the town donate a parcel of land?
Obviously the state was leasing the land+building from the town before.
Why can't that continue? Was there a change of law that now requires
the donation? Or maybe the state just doesn't want to pay rent?
mmoy

Postby Ann Goldman » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:11 pm

It seems to me that the state already has land in Merrimack - aren't the tollbooths on State land? Why don't they build a courthouse there.

An other alternative would be to swap the Tollhouse parcels for a parcel in town for the court house? I am sure every resident in Merrimack would be willing to tear down the tolls for free.
Ann Goldman

Postby RFTO1111 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:15 pm

Yes I could see some additional OT too if police have to travel, but again, 2500 bucks a week. How many trips to court do they make in a week? Seems high to me.
RFTO1111

PreviousNext

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water