Recommendations for Satellite

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Recommendations for Satellite

Postby Debra Huffman » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:11 pm

I still can't bring myself to pay $1,800 to bring cable up my driveway (and so far Comcast doesn't seem inclined to cut me a break) so I'm considering installing satellite TV. Anyone have any recommendations?
Debra Huffman

Re: Recommendations for Satellite

Postby James Austin » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:13 pm

I've been a DirecTV customer for over 8 years, no complaints.
Just because you don't take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you.
James Austin

Re: Recommendations for Satellite

Postby RD » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:46 pm

James Austin wrote:I've been a DirecTV customer for over 8 years, no complaints.

Same here. DirecTV is a great service, espcially when combined with a DVR and the Tivo service.
RD

Postby Debra Huffman » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:04 pm

Thanks for the recommendation, guys. DirecTV looks like a reasonable deal.

I hate to give up on cable because it means I'll never get the local government channel, but being able to watch Town Council meetings just isn't worth $1,800 to me I guess. So satellite wins.

Thanks.
Debra Huffman

Postby JMac1000 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:25 pm

Deb, I have Dish Network and like it. The cost of Dish is slightly lower than DirectTV, and just as many stations. They have a low end package, somewhere around 60 stations for a really low price, somewhere around 30 bucks which is good for those that do not need 400 stations. Also if you have High Definition, Dish has the most channels in HD.
JMac1000

Postby Michael Pelletier » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:55 pm

Why would you have to pay $1,800 to bring cable up your driveway? Is that what they're asking to do it for you?

You could rent a walk-behind trencher at Home Depot, hire Charlie Smith, and get it done in short order for vastly less money - and low-voltage cables like TV coax don't have to be buried very deep. Maybe even invest the extra money in running a conduit with a string, so you can pull fiber-optic cable or whatever the next big thing will be without having to do any more digging.
Michael Pelletier

Postby Tom Williams » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:47 am

I have also been a DirecTV customer for about 8 years, first in Atlanta, then here. I installed both dishes myself - it isn't that hard to do. You can get the equipment at Circuit City and be watching it tonight.

DirecTV also has a $30 plan; my take is that on any given day, Dish or Direct may be lower than the other, but the deals are always pretty close. We have been extremely happy with the customer service from DirecTV, but I don't recall hearing that anyone was unhappy with Dish. So you should probably just go by whichever channel lineup and deal appeals to you the most.

The strongest recommendation I can give is this: whichever service you choose, GET IT WITH A DVR! You will not regret it.
Tom Williams
"Treating businesses and affluent people as prey, rather than assets, often pays off politically in the short run-- and elections are held in the short run." -- Thomas Sowell
Tom Williams

Postby Debra Huffman » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:59 am

Thanks for the additional info guys. I'll check out both sets of deals.

Michael: We can't cut a trench because of granite, and Adelphia said we can't string our own wire on the telephone poles because they won't support it.

I'm going to go into the cable office with the DirecTV or Dish info in my hand and tell them this is their last chance to capture my business. (I really would prefer to get the local government channels if I can.) They'll probably just smile at me for trying because their salaries don't depend on making sales I guess.

Thanks for the help.
Debra Huffman

Postby Ann Goldman » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:10 pm

Debra Huffman wrote:Thanks for the additional info guys. I'll check out both sets of deals.

Michael: We can't cut a trench because of granite, and Adelphia said we can't string our own wire on the telephone poles because they won't support it.

I'm going to go into the cable office with the DirecTV or Dish info in my hand and tell them this is their last chance to capture my business. (I really would prefer to get the local government channels if I can.) They'll probably just smile at me for trying because their salaries don't depend on making sales I guess.

Thanks for the help.

You also forgot to mention that your driveway is longer then some streets in Merrimack.
Ann Goldman

Postby Debra Huffman » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:23 pm

Oh yeah... sometimes I forget how anonymous we really are on the forum. I talk to these people so much online that I just assume they know I live in the boonies.

My driveway is 850' long. :shock:
Debra Huffman

Postby MMK » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:00 am

Go with satelite Deb! After my experience this week with ComCast, I'm thinking of switching. . . I never thought I would see the day that I actually wished I had Adelphia!
MMK

Postby rmorrissey » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:10 am

Hi Deb,

Have you contacted Comcast directly recently (since the take over)?
rmorrissey

Postby Michael Pelletier » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:03 pm

They won't support it, or they won't plug it in?

If they just mean that they won't send a truck out if a tree falls on it, then personally I'd break out the extension ladder. :D

Eagle Aspen RG-6 Coaxial Cable with Ground Wire - 1000' REEL IN BOX (Model 40 B3) - $69

There's probably some tricks of the trade to mount the cable to the poles properly, to cope with thermal expansion and what have you, but I'm sure there's something online somewhere that would explain it.
Michael Pelletier

Postby Brian McCarthy » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:31 pm

Within the franchise agreement it states a max distance - which I think is 250' but they have exceeded that in some cases.

this is 'from the road' distance.

Beyond that number, they state they can not make sure you have 'quality signal' so they won't support it without putting additional hardware to service your home. That is where the cost is.

Last time I asked about this it was 'we would have to build a plant' and I never got details of what that entailed but I suspect an amp of some sort near the street which would require power (perhaps a meter from PNSH?), the amp, a weather-tight enclosure - parts you can't just pickup at Radio Shack.

Would she get OK analog at the end of a 1000' run of RG-8 - perhaps but I wouldn't want to run digital or my Powerlink over it (which is what they have to think of).

I'm not defending their pricing, only trying to provide what I've been told in the past and why its not as simple to them as a spool of wire.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby bobandgeri » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:34 pm

We had DirecTV for several years and then switched to DISH Network. Both are @ the same price - check out both for what channels you re interested in. One offers Sirius, while the other has XM for music. DISH has better DVR systems and updates the capabilities remotely. They also seem to have a better trade up programs, at least when we traded up anyways.

Reception is pretty equal. Dishes are differant but both are fairly easy to mount/point yourself.

Like someone else said - go with a DVR receiver. We have 2 receivers, one of which can record two shows at the same time, so we almost never watch television real time.
bobandgeri

Next

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water