EZ Pass purple lights

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

EZ Pass purple lights

Postby RD » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:35 pm

Has anyone seen these? What are your opinions?

http://www.nh.gov/dot/documents/nr061310ezpass.pdf
RD

Postby andysinnh » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:44 pm

It's just an extra light on top of the EZPass sign (Hooksett where I saw it) that flashes purple. Doesn't help me much since I'm red/green colorblind, so it just looks like a flashing light of some random color. I wish they'd just enable all the lanes for EZPass like they do in some states.....
andysinnh

Postby RD » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:50 pm

I think it's better when it's solid and not flashing. They also removed one dedicated E-ZPass lane so it's down to two lanes only. I preferred having the third lane as an option because all the Speedy Gonzales' would fight and scramble for the left two lanes, while I happily coasted through the right-most lane.
RD

Postby Michael Pelletier » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:39 pm

I drove through there the week they were doing the test with the solid purple light. Kind of staggering it took them this long to come up with and implement this idea to better distinguish the EZ-Pass lanes. I think the second week I used EZ-Pass I was thinking how it would be useful to have flashing lights over the dedicated lanes at night.
Michael Pelletier

Postby MMK » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:08 am

andysinnh wrote: I wish they'd just enable all the lanes for EZPass like they do in some states.....

Andy, you can use the EZ Pass in all lanes. The problem comes from the morons who can't read. I can't tell you how many times I've been stuck behind some numb nut who pulls into the purple lane, and then tries to back up because they thought it was a cash lane.
MMK

Postby andysinnh » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:46 am

MMK wrote:
andysinnh wrote: I wish they'd just enable all the lanes for EZPass like they do in some states.....

Andy, you can use the EZ Pass in all lanes. The problem comes from the morons who can't read. I can't tell you how many times I've been stuck behind some numb nut who pulls into the purple lane, and then tries to back up because they thought it was a cash lane.

Is that true (for example) at the ramps at Exit 11? Every morning I'm stacked in that middle lane with up to 20 cars in line, while the left "exact change" lane is empty. Or are you talking about the main booth(s) like in Bedford and Hooksett?

thx - andy
andysinnh

Postby MMK » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:18 pm

andysinnh wrote:Is that true (for example) at the ramps at Exit 11? Every morning I'm stacked in that middle lane with up to 20 cars in line, while the left "exact change" lane is empty. Or are you talking about the main booth(s) like in Bedford and Hooksett?

thx - andy

Yup, the EZ Pass transponder works on all lanes. . .
MMK

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:54 pm

MMK wrote:Yup, the EZ Pass transponder works on all lanes. . .

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work in all lanes. Just a few weeks ago (while they were working on the exit 11 southbond toll booth) they had the right two lanes closed, leaving only the exact change lane open, but with a toll taker. Beliving that EZ-Pass worked in that lane as well I drove through with my transponder and set off the bell & red lights. So it's fairly clear to me there is no EZ-Pass reader in that booth.

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby MMK » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:52 pm

You're right Nat, I stand corrected. . . I know all lanes have receivers and when the system first went live it worked in all lanes. I tried tonight going through the Bedford tolls, and it didn't trip.

Sorry Andy, didn't mean to mislead you. . . .
MMK

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water