New way of thinking for the library...

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

New way of thinking for the library...

Postby RBarnes » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:52 am

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:Y3 ... rary&hl=en

I found an interesting article about libraries actually getting rid of books and replacing them with digital copies.

Meanwhile, each year scholars and librarians are being deluged with a mind-boggling amount of new information, which is stored in various media -- on hard drives and in print. In 2003 alone, enough new information was published to fill five exabytes or, if scanned, 37,000 times the amount stored in the Library of Congress.

That is according to an annual survey conducted by Peter Lyman and Hal R. Varian, professors in the School of Information Management and Systems at the University of California at Berkeley. Print accounted for just one-tenth of 1 percent of that, while 92 percent was stored on computers and most of the rest, on film.

Looking at things slightly differently we may find that physical space is not as necessary as it was once thought and instead of a new library building, we may find we just need new library resources which I’m sure we can get for far less then 8 million.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Michael Pelletier » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:42 am

I wonder what the copyright law is with respect to libraries lending hardcopy of digital content - find what you need on the disk farm, print it out, then check it out.
Michael Pelletier

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water