Library numbers

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:49 pm

Sybil

Does anyone know who owns the property next door to the library? You know, the building that was once a pizza place and then a sportscard, memorabilia store?

Has anyone ever approched this person to see if that property could be purchased? That land could be used for building expansion and more parking. Just a thought.

The owner of Classic Gas also owns that property.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Pat Heinrich » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:49 pm

Dennis
Since you say you are trying to be fair to me, (your words, not mine) why didn't you ask about that building next to the library instead of assuming the building committee had not?

If you had, you would have discoverd that the Building Committee has ALREADY checked out the building and the site - even before Bob Bergin moved in - and discovered it was not big enough, cost prohibitive to renovate, does not provide us with sufficient parking and would have to be purchased!!! This is not an opportunity missed for a new library; this is just another opportunity for you to spout rumor and inenuendo.

Being fair to me would involve facts and truth.

And for the record - the numbers that the libary proponents have been using are taken from the annual town report - published and available at town hall and the library. Counting patrons, circulation and reference questions is something that every library does on a daily basis and has done for over 100 years. So yes, there are more than 500 people that visit the library daily and yes, there are more than 400 cars that drive into the parking lot everyday. And if someone wants to sit in the parking lot and count for themselves, we would welcome the verification that our counters are accurate.

Pat
Pat Heinrich

Postby RBarnes » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:43 pm

Pat Heinrich wrote:If you had, you would have discoverd that the Building Committee has ALREADY checked out the building and the site - even before Bob Bergin moved in - and discovered it was not big enough, cost prohibitive to renovate, does not provide us with sufficient parking and would have to be purchased!!! This is not an opportunity missed for a new library; this is just another opportunity for you to spout rumor and inenuendo.

Pat, I think you miss understood Dennis. He isn't suggesting that site be used as a new library... he's suggesting that be used to solve the problem with parking as it was said the only way to expand the current building would be to expand into the current parking lot and we'd be short on parking. If that property could be turned into parking it would allow the current library to be expanded.

But in figuring what that will cost in lost taxes due to taking it off the tax roll, the cost of purchasing it and knocking it down and the cost of an addition to the library it may not actually save us anything. Looking at options and asking questions like this cost the town nothing so they should be encouraged.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Pat Heinrich » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:09 am

[quote="RBarnes

Looking at options and asking questions like this cost the town nothing so they should be encouraged.[/quote]

Rick
Asking questions of those who might know, looking at new ideas and citizen participation in the process was, is and always has been encouraged. Spouting opinions based on false assumptions and deliberate distortion of the facts has not.

Win, lose or draw - the future of the library and it's value to this town will be determined today.
Pat
Pat Heinrich

Postby Michael Pelletier » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:21 am

Pat, I've heard a rumor that the new library will have basically the same floor area of book storage as the existing library, and I find that shocking and hard to believe.

What is the current floor area for books and what is proposed?
Michael Pelletier

Postby Stan Heinrich » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:50 am

Pat is at JMUES all day. You can go there and talk to her.
However I would say if the current library is approx 12,000 sq ft. and the new library is approx 38,000 sq ft simple math will tell you there is more room for books etc.
Don' to forget to vote today!
Stan Heinrich

Postby Dennis King » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:11 am

Mike, I never heard that one. I assume the figures are square feet of floor space and not cubic feet. They are getting a bigger childrens library area and lots more meeting room space, a nice room for the librarians to hand out, etc.

It is a good question, just how much more space is planned to books?

I do not think that question was ever asked as the meeting spaces was always stressed and can be done at the schools we already paid for.

Pat, Rick was right, I was talking about expanding into the lot and using the cardstore area for parking. he added benefit would be for the kids who walk. I am not convinced it would work or that I would even support it, I just liked the idea.

Dennis
Dennis King

Postby Michael Pelletier » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:10 pm

Stan Heinrich wrote:However I would say if the current library is approx 12,000 sq ft. and the new library is approx 38,000 sq ft simple math will tell you there is more room for books etc.

How many square feet does the atrium with its tree take up, though? Or the meeting rooms? It's not simply "simple math."

I found a reference indicating 50% more book space, but another indicating that the collection has grown by 350% as part of the justification for the new building. Are we going to be running out of shelf space the minute the new library opens?
Michael Pelletier

Postby uscitizen03054 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:05 pm

I think this new library issue will now fade away given the vast opposition of the voters. I think today, Merrimack made a decision between a want and a need.
uscitizen03054

Postby NH » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:31 pm

Timing is everthing. I think article 22 reflected the backlash of the population against the stubborness of the library supporters. If the new library was not being brought up again this year, perhaps article 22 might not have been proposed and even if it was it might not have passed like it did today. What's the old saying? Be careful what you ask for.
NH

Postby RBarnes » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:59 pm

NH wrote:Timing is everthing. I think article 22 reflected the backlash of the population against the stubborness of the library supporters. If the new library was not being brought up again this year, perhaps article 22 might not have been proposed and even if it was it might not have passed like it did today. What's the old saying? Be careful what you ask for.

That's exactly what I had said... they did that to themselves. I warned Pat H. about creating resentment against the library and they didn't listen. They've only themselves to blame.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby JMac1000 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:08 pm

I think the timing was bad, and they were not creative enough. For this thing to every go through, its going to have to be at a lower cost, and creative enought to win people over. At one time I supported the Library, but changed my mind. I am sad to see the considerable down payment wiped out. To me it sounds like buying new house with no money down.
The cost to build a Library will now be prohibitive, likely for many years.
JMac1000

Postby Dennis King » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:53 pm

I am sure the library supporters feel pretty low today.

I will not gloat over this as they are good people and they tried to do what they thought was best.

My only suggestion is to take some time to rest and recover, then they should scrap the entire plan, hold a open meeting and solicit support from those who did not support the plan they proposed. This is the only way they will ever get a library built, you must have the support of the people.

Dennis
Dennis King

Postby Michael Pelletier » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:32 pm

Dennis King wrote:My only suggestion is to take some time to rest and recover, then they should scrap the entire plan, hold a open meeting and solicit support from those who did not support the plan they proposed. This is the only way they will ever get a library built, you must have the support of the people.

You only need the support of the people if you're proposing to convince those people to force other people to pay for the project.

A total of $550 of voluntary contributions from each of the 18,000 library card holders would raise more than enough to build a new library. That's subscriptions of about $25 a month for two years.
Michael Pelletier

Postby JMac1000 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:21 am

Dennis,

I do think its unfortunate that the Hard earned reserves are likely going to be totally wiped out for the sake of a couple hundred bucks, one time, on our tax bill. Christine was quite upset. I can certainly see both sides of the equation. A couple hundred bucks at Christmas time will come in handy, but I think you will agree, it goes quick. I know its "advisory" in nature, but the Council is going to have to comply. What happens in the long run? Bond the whole thing, with possibly higher bond interest rates, and higher building costs. My position had changed to No on the Library this year due to the tight economic climate, but keep the down payment. I would imagine, if this ever yets built, we will get less library, for far more $$$$.

I will have to admit. I was very surprised the Library was on the Ballot this year. Obviously a huge tactical mistake.

This election confirms what I already could sense last year, loud and clear. There is some serious economic pain out there, and those that could not feel it , or understand it, were voted out. Certanily Mr. Hinch voting to keep the excess surplus was also a big tactical mistake.
JMac1000

PreviousNext

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water