Library numbers

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Postby Tim Tenhave » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:00 pm

Jamie,

I believe Article 22 was written in the correct legal words to make it manditory. Capital Reserves can only be started, ended, or changed by a vote of the people. Charter does not change that either, as it is dictated by RSA.

Tim
Tim Tenhave

Postby JMac1000 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:31 pm

Hi Tim,

While I voted against The Library for this year, I disagree with the voters decision to empty this reserve fund. That being said, If I sat on the Town Council, or BOS, my obligation is, really to follow the will of the voters, anyhow. The reason I thought it was advisory, is because the new finance administrator for the town said that on Ch. 20.
JMac1000

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:35 pm

Has anyone seen the house for sale diagonal from the police station? Behind it is the skateboard park. Does anyone else think the town should think about purchasing it so it owns all of the land on that side of the street in front of the school?
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Ann Goldman » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:16 pm

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Has anyone seen the house for sale diagonal from the police station? Behind it is the skateboard park. Does anyone else think the town should think about purchasing it so it owns all of the land on that side of the street in front of the school?

I think that would raise our taxes even more. We need to focus on needs not wants.
Ann Goldman

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:28 pm

Ann

You are correct. I just wondered if it had been thought about.

I remember when Candia went from an appointed PB to an elected one and it worked out quite well for them. I will ask how this was transitioned. It can't hurt to have 40-50% of the board elected.

Dennis - I have no agenda I don' live on Horseshoe Pond or anywhere near mall site. I think we need changes because I see the possibility for topsy turvy building occurring much like what happened in Hooksett.
Jeannine Stergios

Postby RBarnes » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:34 pm

Ann Goldman wrote:
Jeannine Stergios wrote:Has anyone seen the house for sale diagonal from the police station? Behind it is the skateboard park. Does anyone else think the town should think about purchasing it so it owns all of the land on that side of the street in front of the school?

I think that would raise our taxes even more. We need to focus on needs not wants.

The town has I believe a little over 2 million in a reserve fund to purchase land so it could be done without impacting taxes in the least.

But the question I have is why would we want to purchase that land other then the town owns other land around it?
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:35 pm

Rick

But the question I have is why would we want to purchase that land other then the town owns other land around it?

I just wondered because I saw the For Sale sign in front of the house. No other reason.
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Dennis King » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:41 pm

Actually that may make sense as it could be a good place for the new courthouse. I want to see data that shows this would have a postive economic impact to the town. If so, great, it would be an investement with a return. If not, let it go.

As to the library,

I drove by it today with a fresh perspective. I need to see the actual blueprint of the parcel but I think the exit ramp could be changed, the parking lot expanded, remove the cans for kids and picnic tables, cut down the trees and put a retaining wall to expand the parking lot. Then you could build an addittion say 60 feet out into the lot. The building appears to be about 35 feet wide so if this has a second story, you are adding 4,200 square feet. Another option would be to add a full basement for a total of 6,300 new square feet of space.

The top floor can be for your meetings so you do not have to pay extra for the load capacity. Sell the other piece of land and put that into a capital reserve for the new library. Redesigning the parking lot would generate only 15-20 new spaces since the building takes up more spaces but it is still a net increase. If there was any overflow, they could go to the senior center parking lot and a walkway could be made to walk down.

The cost for this? I bet it would be half ot the new building and I would not be surprised if we could get the excavation and retaining walls for free from local companies (sort of like a kids kove project). We could get corporate donations for the meeting rooms and stacks (the AB annex, The Chelsea room)

My point is at the end of the day with the sale of the land, donated materials and labor, and corporate donations, we probably could come to the taxpayers with a bond for 2 million and it would finally pass.

Well, I threw this out, let's see if it gets picked up.

Dennis

It would be smaller
Dennis King

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:46 pm

Dennis

I have had similar thoughts regarding the existing library. If our tax bills hadn't risen so much over the past 5 years, I am sure it would have been approved yesterday. There has been too much spending in recent years and it had to stop.
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Tim Tenhave » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:38 pm

Hi Jamie,

I did not see what Paul said, but it is covered under RSA 35:

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/htm ... III-35.htm

Tim
Tim Tenhave

Previous

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water