Library building uses

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Library building uses

Postby AN » Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:46 pm

If a new library is built, what will happen with the old one? Could this be the new "Teen Center" I have read about? Its closer to the schools, and all the children wouldn't be disturbing anyone in the library. Were there other plans for this building?
AN

Postby Pat Heinrich » Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:54 pm

AN
Your question is a good one and is one of many that are posted on the Library Homepage (http://www.merrimack.lib.nh.us) under the section New Library Update: FAQs.

Question: What will happen to the current library? Answer: Once the library is passed, it will take two years before the library is opened and the current library is available. The library trustees have been looking at several possibilities for future use, including other town uses.

So in a nutshell: we can't make a firm plan until the library actually passes; however, a teen center could certainly be considered as an "other town use."

If you or anyone else has any questions, comments or concerns about the new library plan, please call me! 424-4663

Pat Heinrich
Pat Heinrich

admin message

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:39 pm

I retitled this topic to more accurately reflect it's subject (from library to library building uses)

-Nat (as admin)
Nat Fairbanks

Postby Jim Bass » Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:25 pm

Pat,

I'm totally in support for a new library. Does the Lowell Reading room, located in the existing building, need to stay a library of some sort?

A teen center is a great idea but I'm not sure the town wants the liabilities that will acompany such a building.
Jim Bass

Postby Pat Heinrich » Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:22 am

Jim
The Probate Court has ruled that the current library can be used for used for other purposes or can be sold. Part of the ruling was an agreement that something substantial in the new building be named for the Lowell Family. In addition, should the current building be sold, proceeds must go to the Library Development Fund and can not be used to offset construction costs of a new library. And finally, at least the original part of the building is considered to be a charitable asset of the library.

So the short answer - is the Lowell Room does not have to remain a library as there will be a Lowell Room in the new library. We just haven't decided which room that will be.
Pat
Pat Heinrich

what will happen

Postby pointman » Mon May 17, 2004 2:44 pm

Whatver happens, the new occupant will need to update everything to present ADA codes. The parking lot will only allow certain occupants. The State of NH has very strict guidelines regarding facilities used for State purposes. That would cost the Town Of Merrimack significant dollars to upgrade.

Keep it as a Libary...that's a good use.

or do like the folks in Brookline...take $1 million and build an indoor athletic field facility and hen the town can actually have a revenue source. It's time to stop the library from draining our wells.
pointman

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water