Letter to the editor in the March 4th Merrimack Connection

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Letter to the editor in the March 4th Merrimack Connection

Postby James » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:24 pm

Last Friday there was a letter to the editor in the Merrimack Connection recommending that we boycott the tolls, by driving through them without paying.

Should anyone follow this advice, does anyone know how much the ticket would be if you are caught? I doubt that mailing the ticket to John Lynch would get you off the hook.

On a side note, another thing I've always wondered about. Suppose you put the correct number of tokens in the automated basket and the light stays red. It doesn't happen too often, but what are you supposed to do in that case?
James

Re: Letter to the editor in the March 4th Merrimack Connecti

Postby RBarnes » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:52 pm

James wrote:On a side note, another thing I've always wondered about. Suppose you put the correct number of tokens in the automated basket and the light stays red. It doesn't happen too often, but what are you supposed to do in that case?

I've seen someone toss in their money and start forward and for whatever reason the light stayed red. They started to back up but the toll taker in the next booth waved them to just go on. I happened to be in the next booth buying tokens and they said people shouldn't hold up the line, they need to just keep going.

I’ve also seen people stop their cars, open their doors… pick tokens off the ground that missed the basket and use them.
RBarnes

Postby mmoy » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:24 pm

A better protest would be to stop using the highway. Perhaps an
approach where those with last names starting with A to J not using
it on Monday, J to P on Tuesday, etc.

Or perhaps someone could come up with a book or webpage on how to
avoid the toll booths heading north and south. Someone actually did a book
detailing side roads along Route 3 in MA and it sold well. Until they widened the highway.
mmoy

Postby cosmo » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:47 pm

I agree with the letter to boycott the paying of the tolls, I've been doing it ever since I moved to Merrimack 6+ yrs ago. Unless there's a state trooper nearby, I just blow right on thru. Until now there hasn't been any cameras and the lazy toll takers don't care, too busy watching Oprah or whatever. After 9 pm it's a real no-brainer.

I wish more people would do this. Wake up Merrimack send a msg - we;re getting shafted and with these stupid ez-passes - we're getting it even worse. Sheeeeesh. There's no benefit to us.

If the state wanted to keep up the revenue and probably make more, then they should have put tolls on the border and then implement the ez-pass to keep the traffic flowing.

:evil: :evil: :evil:
cosmo

Boycott

Postby sabrina » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:38 am

I do it as well, or just throw pennies... I think the cameras are fake, I really do. You are so right about the toll collectors, they don't care. There used to be one busy body woman that used to watch, but she is no longer there.
sabrina

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water