New Channels

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:01 am

Tom Williams wrote:I have 4 TVs connected to my one DirecTV/Tivo box, which I have had for almost 5 years, still going strong. I brought it along when we moved here from Atlanta 2.5 years ago. I use a remote control repeater system from Radio Shack to control the box from the upstairs bedroom.

Not to drive this too far off track, but do you have your guide info pulled by modem or broadband? I've also just begun the move to VoIP phone lines, for a reduction of $36/month, with another $14 in savings once I can totally drop a regular line when E911 with VoIP is working 100%. The only caveat is that fax and modem lines aren't guaranteed to work at the $20/month package level. I haven't heard of anyone updating a DirecTivo box over broadband, but I hope it's possible.

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby Tom Williams » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:30 am

Nat Fairbanks wrote:Not to drive this too far off track, but do you have your guide info pulled by modem or broadband? I've also just begun the move to VoIP phone lines, for a reduction of $36/month, with another $14 in savings once I can totally drop a regular line when E911 with VoIP is working 100%. The only caveat is that fax and modem lines aren't guaranteed to work at the $20/month package level. I haven't heard of anyone updating a DirecTivo box over broadband, but I hope it's possible.

Nat,

Not to worry - with the DirecTV/Tivo bundle, the guide info comes straight off the satellite. No muss, no fuss. There is a phone line connected to the box, but it is used only for buying PPV movies and events. The phone line is not required for the system to work, and since the calls are so short, it is OK with slow speeds. If you can get any modem synch at all, it should work. Also, for an additional fee, you can buy PPV programming online or through an 800 number, if you don't have the modem connection.

My box is too old to have the ethernet port on it. From what I have read, the purpose of it was to allow user interface by network (set to record while out of town). If it will update the guide this way, that would be useful for non-DirecTV service. Also, I wonder if programming can be downloaded by this port - that would be a huge plus, since everything exists on the system disk as MPEG files. Having a way to extract these files directly would be my number one choice for an improvement.
Tom Williams
"Treating businesses and affluent people as prey, rather than assets, often pays off politically in the short run-- and elections are held in the short run." -- Thomas Sowell
Tom Williams

Postby Shannon Barnes » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:18 am

As far as the phone, doesn't the box shut down if a phone line is not detected? When digital cable 1st came out, the cable company I worked for before Adelphia rolled out w/ the phone line return. If the box could not be polled it would be shut down. A lot of customers across the country were ordering the PPV movies then unplugging the phone line so the billing server could not access the orders on the box.

May want to check in case your TV is not near a phone jack. If that is the case, though, Radio Shack sells wireless phone jack systems for $50.

S.
Shannon Barnes

Postby RD » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:12 am

Shannon Barnes wrote:As far as the phone, doesn't the box shut down if a phone line is not detected? When digital cable 1st came out, the cable company I worked for before Adelphia rolled out w/ the phone line return. If the box could not be polled it would be shut down. A lot of customers across the country were ordering the PPV movies then unplugging the phone line so the billing server could not access the orders on the box.

May want to check in case your TV is not near a phone jack. If that is the case, though, Radio Shack sells wireless phone jack systems for $50.

S.

I have learned that you don't have to have a phone line constantly connected to your DirecTV box. What happens is that once a month or so, the box will send you a reminder that it has not been able to make a successful call for updates. At that point, I just bring a phone line over, plug it into the box, and instruct the box to make the call. (It also needs to be connected to order PPV I believe).

Of course, having the line plugged in all the time is more convenient, but I don't have a jack near my TV. The wireless system sounds interesting though. Maybe I'll ask Santa.

Oh, BTW, I have two DirecTV receivers and it seems that only one of them has to have access to the phone line.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby Shannon Barnes » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:40 am

When I was doing an audit in White House TN, the system used the wireless jacks a lot, as the cable company wasn't in the business of running phone lines. We did run lines when feasible as it was cheaper than the wireless jack.

S.

Here is the link to the item. It is $90 @ The Shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?c ... Fid=43-160
Shannon Barnes

Postby bobandgeri » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:10 pm

Be sure to check out the DISH offerings as well if you are thinking about DirecTV. With the DISH DVR system there is no $5 per month Tivo charge. We are very happy with the 721 system which allows us to record to shows at the same time while watching a previously recorded show.
bobandgeri

Postby RD » Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:13 pm

Well, Santa didn't bring me a wireless phone jack, but he did bring me a Sirius Satellite radio! I'll be moving with Howard next year. :D
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

New Channels

Postby rmorrissey » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:22 pm

Hi Shannon,

Have you looked at http://www.weakknees.com for a hard drive replacement.

I just used them to add a second hard drvice to my Tivo and it worked great.
rmorrissey

Postby Shannon Barnes » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:14 pm

I will check it out. I understand that you need to have a boot disk for Linux. I will see if they have the program on the site!

Thanks for the heads up.

S.
Shannon Barnes

Previous

Return to Cable, Library, Tolls & Water