The Farmhouse Curve

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Postby Muriel Lortie » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:54 pm

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Muriel

Good news!

The more businesses in town the better for all of us.

Jeannine,

The two descending votes did have a problem with the boarding of animals due to the fact that she "WOULD NOT" HAVE ACCESS TO OPEN RUNS FOR THESE ANIMALS.
Muriel Lortie

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:00 pm

Muriel

It is a problem. IF that is the case, then why approve it?
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby RBarnes » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:59 pm

Muriel and Jeannine, this is an interesting topic but off topic for this thread. I'd like to suggest one of you start a new thread to discuss it as I'm sure many more people will find it of interest.
RBarnes

Postby Shannon Barnes » Mon May 16, 2005 1:33 pm

I wanted to speak on behalf of Rick and I that we have achieved the best possible resolution for the property frontage issue we have suffered. The town is planting hedges that will fill the area affected. The top is a boxwood which will grow to create a barrier for the children. The slope is juniper which will catch debris. I am also hoping this will reduce vibration from passing vehicles which was markedly increased with the reduction of land buffering the road from the house. At the edge of the driveway there are two boulders to stop cars from hitting our house.

I credit Ed Chase and Ernie Buck for making the effort to make amends to us for what we have been through. I hope we as a town can take this entire experience as a lesson learned.

S.
Shannon Barnes

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Mon May 16, 2005 1:39 pm

Shannon

Call it ESP, but I happened to think about your problem over the weekend and wondered what (if anything) had been done about your front yard.

Glad to here that the town is fixing it.
:lol:
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Shannon Barnes » Tue May 17, 2005 10:46 am

Here is the article resulting from my phone call to the Telegraph.

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbc ... /-1/news01

MERRIMACK – It wasn’t the wall she sought last year, but the solution left little room for Shannon Barnes to hedge on her praise.

On Monday, town public work employees began planting a Korean boxwood hedge on Barnes’ property where it fronts Lawrence Road. Workers also planted juniper along the embankment that slopes to the road.

The work, scheduled to be finished today, will provide the buffer Barnes and her husband, Rick, had sought since last summer. That’s when subcontractors hired by the town cut into the hillside near the couple’s 1763 house, which they bought four years ago.

“It would have been better if they hadn’t cut into our side of the road to begin with,â€
Shannon Barnes

Postby Norman Phillips » Tue May 17, 2005 11:08 am

It is good that this seems to be passing into history. However, a relatively unknown bit of history to this concerns the Public hearing on November 20 2003,

http://www.ci.merrimack.nh.us/Boards/BO ... 031120.htm

This was about 10 months before action was started to slope the town right- of-way in front of the farmhouse.

The backup material contained a surveyed plan showing the road, the land to be taken from the left side ( opposite from the farmhouse ) and grading to be done on the farmhouse side of the curve. It was this grading that surprised and infuriated the Barnes.

The surveying must have been ordered by then Town Manager Shankle, and it is difficult to see that he would not have known about the grading at the time of the public hearing in November 2003, since the survey was part of that hearing. .

Shannon, did you or Rick attend the November 20 public hearing?
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

Postby RBarnes » Tue May 17, 2005 11:23 am

Norman Phillips wrote:It is good that this seems to be passing into history. However, a relatively unknown bit of history to this concerns the Public hearing on November 20 2003,

http://www.ci.merrimack.nh.us/Boards/BO ... 031120.htm

This was about 10 months before action was started to slope the town right- of-way in front of the farmhouse.

The backup material contained a surveyed plan showing the road, the land to be taken from the left side ( opposite from the farmhouse ) and grading to be done on the farmhouse side of the curve. It was this grading that surprised and infuriated the Barnes.

The surveying must have been ordered by then Town Manager Shankle, and it is difficult to see that he would not have known about the grading at the time of the public hearing in November 2003, since the survey was part of that hearing. .

Norm, I sent you an email in regards to the one you sent earlier to Pat from the Telegraph, Ed Chase and my wife and I but since you choose to bring this matter public I will also publish my email response to you....

Norm,

You seem to leave a couple things out of your facts, which clearly explain you point #1..

Aug 6th 2004 Merrimack Journal quoted Dean Shankle in saying:
“That was different from any plan we ever had,â€
RBarnes

Postby Ann Goldman » Tue May 17, 2005 11:36 am

Richard Barnes asked about the curve at the farmhouse on Lawrence Road, which in fact is his property.

This may be a dumb question Rick, but I was under the impression that the land that the town took in front of your house was the town's "right of way" land. Did they actual take part of your taxed property?

One reason I want to know is that over the years the road I live on has drifted to one side. My property has about 2 feet of "town right of way" while the neighbors across the street have over 20 feet of "town right of way".

Annie
Ann Goldman

Postby RBarnes » Tue May 17, 2005 11:41 am

One more thing Norm, I think I was at that meeting… I remember a BOS meeting in the curve was discussed and I flat out asked Hinch if anything would be done in front of my house and I sited the fact that Brian Lawrence, Roger Lawrence and the Bartlets all received letters from the town since land abutting their own was to be touched. I quested because I NEVER received a letter so I wanted to verify that none of the land directly in front of my house was to be touched. Dick Hinch responded that if any land was to be touched I would have gotten a letter from the town explaining so!

It may have been a different meeting but I can say with 100% certainty that it was a BOS meeting that I asked about never receiving any notification from the town and it was Dick Hinch who told me I would have received a letter.
RBarnes

Postby RBarnes » Tue May 17, 2005 11:48 am

Ann Goldman wrote:
Richard Barnes asked about the curve at the farmhouse on Lawrence Road, which in fact is his property.

This may be a dumb question Rick, but I was under the impression that the land that the town took in front of your house was the town's "right of way" land. Did they actual take part of your taxed property?

Ann, I think the way I stated it was that I had questions about the curve because it was in fact my house and property there. I stated that I was ONLY concerned with the 20 or 30 feet directly in front of my house and wanted to make sure they would not cut into it at all.

They cut back into the hill the first time and after we complained they surveyed and found they had 2 more feet before the right of way so they dug a second time cutting right up to that right of way.

But all that said, this matter as I see it is settled. The town can be happy that they found a very low cost solution and my wife and I are pleased with the out come.

The only thing I’m questioning at this point is Norm’s inflammatory statements. I’ve always been respectful of his views and I have always been nice to him so I do not understand why he would attack in this very hurtful way. I see no point to his rehashing this argument other then to get my wife and I upset. I think it’s a low and despicable thing for him to do and I thought him a much better person then to sink to this.
RBarnes

Postby Wayne » Tue May 17, 2005 12:01 pm

I'm sorry it took so long, but I'm glad that town employees worked with you both to right the wrong. Making the best of a bad situation is sometimes the only choice, and it's good to hear that you never gave up on the Merrimack government. We must always remember that our government is not a greedy monolith, but instead just a team of our neighbors that really are trying to make the town a better place to live.
Wayne

Postby Ann Goldman » Tue May 17, 2005 12:52 pm

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the explanation about the property boundaries.

I can't answer for Norm as only he can explain his behavior.

Annie
Ann Goldman

Postby Norman Phillips » Tue May 17, 2005 1:05 pm

RBarnes wrote:---------

Norm, I sent you an email in regards to the one you sent earlier to Pat from the Telegraph, Ed Chase and my wife and I but since you choose to bring this matter public I will also publish my email response to you....

Norm,

You seem to leave a couple things out of your facts, which clearly explain you point #1..

Aug 6th 2004 Merrimack Journal quoted Dean Shankle in saying:
“That was different from any plan we ever had,â€
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

Postby RBarnes » Tue May 17, 2005 1:17 pm

Norman Phillips wrote:Thank you for your forbearance, Rick ( and Shannon ) and be assured that I am not trying to rile you. If I have, please forgive me.

Thank you.
RBarnes

Previous

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling