The Farmhouse Curve

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

The Farmhouse Curve

Postby RBarnes » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:09 am

Since we've already voted on the money to fix this curve as part of the same article that approved the transfer station I'm curious as to when the construction will begin. And considering the town just also approved the money to fix the Bedford Rd Bridge I think it is fair to say this town understands that the route to and from the station is not safe... so will the road be corrected the same time as the bridge?

Seems to me since we've had the time to build the entire station and even have had it open for 4 months we should have at least started the road repairs that have been approved by the town. Is this asking too much?
RBarnes

Re: The Farmhouse Curve

Postby Muriel Lortie » Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:25 pm

RBarnes wrote:Since we've already voted on the money to fix this curve as part of the same article that approved the transfer station I'm curious as to when the construction will begin. And considering the town just also approved the money to fix the Bedford Rd Bridge I think it is fair to say this town understands that the route to and from the station is not safe... so will the road be corrected the same time as the bridge?

Seems to me since we've had the time to build the entire station and even have had it open for 4 months we should have at least started the road repairs that have been approved by the town. Is this asking too much?

Rick,
You are not asking too much. I wonder if the town has acquired the land needed to correct the curve?
Muriel Lortie

Postby Tim Tenhave » Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:52 pm

Hi Rick,

In other topics related to Road work, I recall Ed discussing the season for road work to be from mid April to about Thanksgiving. Temperature and weather conditions dictate the season. The tar making companies don't produce tar during the winter. I have no knowledge if this affects your curve, but just something to consider.

tim
Tim Tenhave

Postby Shannon Barnes » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:24 pm

Tim,

Thank you for the insight. However, the curve was to be corrected BEFORE the TS opened. A failure in effective negotiating with the proper landowner may have been the cause, but if there is a problem, it should be communicated and when measured goals are not reached, it should be justified why it wasn't. There may be a good business case, but if there is, we have no idea about it. Rick has on a number of occasions asked about the status and an indirect response was what he received in return.
Shannon Barnes

Postby RBarnes » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:18 am

Tim, I do understand that they may not be able to put down tar until it's warm but they could have at least started clearing trees and doing the prep work which I'm sure will take more then a day to complete. Last summer they had surveyors flag off parts of the land and that was the last I've seen of anything getting done. In fact that has been the only thing I’ve seen done all together. I haven't heard any updates in town meeting, haven’t seen anyone marking trees that need to be cut… nothing… zippo! I think this town has had ample time since it had the entire spring, summer and fall of last year to get the work done and as Muriel pointed out we still aren't sure if they have even made a deal to purchase the needed land yet. That alone if it needs to go to court will take a couple months and could very likely run us until fall if the process hasn't at least been started.
RBarnes

Postby lowerrtaxes » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:05 am

:P
Last edited by lowerrtaxes on Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
STOP GOVERNMENT GREED
STOP GOVERNMENT SPRAWL
lowerrtaxes

Postby Debra Huffman » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:30 am

<text deleted>

And to Rick and Shannon, as a resident of this town I offer my sincere apology for what we have done to your home.
Last edited by Debra Huffman on Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debra Huffman

Postby Concerned » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:35 am

While I may not alwasys agree with the opinions of Mr. and Mrs. Barnes, the article that I read about what is happening to their home is absolutely appalling. The town needs to cease all activity immediately and allow the Barnes family to pursue whatever action is necessary for resolution - including a lawsuit. The last thing this town needs is another lawsuit but in this case, it is absolutely justified. According to the articcle, the BOS is planning to investigate and supposedly correct the situation. This is their chance to show that they stand up for the citizens of Merrimack when it counts. It will be VERY INTERESTING to see what they do.
Concerned

Postby Debra Huffman » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:03 am

LT, thank you. You have restored my faith in the fundamental kindness of our community.

We all disagree about things, sometimes heatedly, but I believe none of us wishes ill on the others' families or homes.
Debra Huffman

Postby Dennis King » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:32 pm

I couldn't agree more Deb.

I went out Saturday to see the damage for myself and called Rick to express my concern. I definately feel the town should put up a retaining wall nearest the house and repave and regrade the driveways affected so the families invoved have a smooth transition to the road.

My guess is this land is probably the town buffer between the road bed and the residients property. Still, the town can not just leave a scar and damage people acess to the road. I left a message with Dick Hinch on this and I am confident the Barnes' will get a retaining wall and the driveway fixes needed.

Dennis
Dennis King

Postby Debra Huffman » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:29 am

I'm sure the town intends to fix the driveway and clean things up. The point is why did no one discuss this with the Barnes' before bringing this road six feet closer to their door?

These plans were drawn up many months ago. Flags and stakes appeared on the opposite side of the road. The town negotiated with neighbors across the street. Before bringing the road even closer to their door, I'm sure it was someone's responsibility to discuss the plan with the Barnes' to show them why taking 6' of their yard was crucial to the plan. I'm sure it was someone's responsibility to show that the town hadn't already taken its maximum land in previous widenings of the road (assuming there is a maximum).

Remember when a neighbor tried to stop the tree-cutting crew in the Wasserman Heights development when she thought he was cutting too far? It turned out that a mistake was made (not by the tree cutter but above his level) and those trees could have stayed. How sad if something similar happened here. I'm sure that's not the case, but still... a little communication beforehand was in order.

Mistakes happen, people drop the ball, we have all dropped the ball on occasion. I'm not looking for heads to role, just to be sure that whatever caused this particular ball to be dropped is fixed so something like this doesn't happen again.

Considering how much attention has been paid to this particular road reconstruction, how often it has been discussed in how many meetings, it just seems inconceivable that it was never mentioned that they would need to take 6' of the Barnes' yard.

(Addendum after Mark's post below: Rereading my wording I see that my meaning was unclear. I agree that taking the Barnes' yard was never mentioned. I meant it is inconceivable that our town did not think to mention it in all those meetings, not that they actually mentioned it and we all forgot somehow. )
Last edited by Debra Huffman on Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debra Huffman

Postby Mark Fitzgerald » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:04 am

Remember when a neighbor tried to stop the tree-cutting crew in the Wasserman Heights development when she thought he was cutting too far?

I think we all do Deb, which is why the Barnes should consider the following:

As a FORMER resident who lived on that road, the issue of notification is secondary. An error for sure, but not the main issue. First and foremost,
was the road located properly to begin with?

Having lived there, it always struck me a little strange that the road was so close to that home to begin with. I always wondered....which came first, the house or the road? If the answer is the house, then how did the design of that curve end up leaving almost no frontage between the road and the house?

I'd find out when that road went in and measure from the centerline of the road to the home's foundation. It could be that the "standard" buffer is already part of the paved surface, (in other words the road was incorrectly positioned to begin with) which is why any additional taking of land is ending up almost in their living room.

I can vouch for this......I was there on more than one occasion when the reconstruction of that curve was being discussed and debated two years ago. ALL discussion related to reducing the radius by extending into the land on the opposite side of the street.
Mark Fitzgerald

Postby Muriel Lortie » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:17 pm

Mark Fitzgerald wrote:
Remember when a neighbor tried to stop the tree-cutting crew in the Wasserman Heights development when she thought he was cutting too far?

I think we all do Deb, which is why the Barnes should consider the following:

As a FORMER resident who lived on that road, the issue of notification is secondary. An error for sure, but not the main issue. First and foremost,
was the road located properly to begin with?

Having lived there, it always struck me a little strange that the road was so close to that home to begin with. I always wondered....which came first, the house or the road? If the answer is the house, then how did the design of that curve end up leaving almost no frontage between the road and the house?

I'd find out when that road went in and measure from the centerline of the road to the home's foundation. It could be that the "standard" buffer is already part of the paved surface, (in other words the road was incorrectly positioned to begin with) which is why any additional taking of land is ending up almost in their living room.

I can vouch for this......I was there on more than one occasion when the reconstruction of that curve was being discussed and debated two years ago. ALL discussion related to reducing the radius by extending into the land on the opposite side of the street.

Mark,

As you and others know I was one of the original three families who lived on LR. When I moved onto LR it was a dirt road and the farmhouse preceeded the paved road. As the years went by the road kept widening.

I will also vouch for this......I was there on more than one occasion when the reconstruction of that curve was being discussed and debated two years ago. ALL discussion related to reducing the radius by extending into the land on the opposite side of the street.

I hope this Administration's "WATCH" will correct this travesty.
Muriel Lortie

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:39 pm

I think way back when, they built the farmhouses close to the road. You can drive down many New England roads and see this. I think and would hope when this road is completed that the Barnes residence would be fully restored and landscaped to a condition better than even RB would expect.
Devils Advocate

Postby Muriel Lortie » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:55 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:I think way back when, they built the farmhouses close to the road. You can drive down many New England roads and see this. I think and would hope when this road is completed that the Barnes residence would be fully restored and landscaped to a condition better than even RB would expect.

DA,

Why do you continue to make fun and begrudge an equal quality of life for LR residents?

What do you mean by fully restored?
Last edited by Muriel Lortie on Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muriel Lortie

Next

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling