Hours of Operation change

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Hours of Operation change

Postby M@ » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:38 am

What would it take to get the transfer station to be open on sundays? I'm pretty sure the large majority of the town would find sunday hours very useful, as the majority of us work mon-fri.

Is there a specific reason the site is closed on sundays? Is it a blue-law type thing? Maybe get something on the ballot next year. Doesn't take much to get things on the ballot, but I'm not sure this is the kind of thing requiring a vote.

M@
M@

Postby Jim Bass » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:39 am

M@,

Nice idea but we'll have to pay double-time for sunday and the abutting residents wouldn't like it.

Just my 2 "sense".
Jim Bass

Re: Hours of Operation change

Postby RBarnes » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:53 pm

M@ wrote:I'm pretty sure the large majority of the town would find sunday hours very useful, as the majority of us work mon-fri.

Matt, the large majority of the town would also find it much easier to just leave their trash at the curb and have the town collect it rather then have to drag it all the way across town (not to mention it would be cheaper for the vast majority who already hire a hauler and it would be a tax deduction) but for whatever reason the town felt what we have now is the best option.

Also as Jim pointed out having town employees work Sundays would be very expensive and you would get strong opposition from those of us living on Lawrence Rd if you impose this on my entire weekend. Not to mention since this site is already costing this town far more then it should and is being far under used we should be looking to cut BACK on hours not increase them. There are days where hours go by and not a single car come or goes from that site. And even on Saturdays when the majority of the users come it still isn't as backed up as the landfill was.

So where is the need for extended off peek hours? I'm sorry but you haven't built a case here for such a need. If there were, as a resident of Lawrence Rd I would request that weekday hours be considered first. I wouldn't have so much of a problem with Tuesday nights or Wednesday nights being considered then if you were to contaminate my entire weekend with the dump traffic. Quite honestly I've already suggested to save money we cut back the hours to just two days, one extended hour week day and Saturday since it seems the only ones using the site are residence.

While we are on the topic of changes, we also need to look to switch to pay as you throw since we currently have a system in place were the entire town pays for the trash only a percent of the town generates and the vast majority while paying for that one thirds trash also have to pay higher rates for their own trash. PAYT would at least lessen the tax burden on those who hire haulers.
RBarnes

Postby Muriel Lortie » Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:41 pm

Jim Bass wrote:M@,

Nice idea but we'll have to pay double-time for sunday and the abutting residents wouldn't like it.

Just my 2 "sense".

Jim,

It's nice to see that you do care about the quality of life of a minority of the people. :)
Muriel Lortie

Postby M@ » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:51 am

Extended weekday hours would probably be fine, and I think these already exist in the summer.

I had not considered the impact on the lawerence road residents.

The reason I proposed it was becuase I've come across many a sunday (note the date of my original post) where I wish the dump was open. If sunday were added I imagine another day (tuesday?) could be removed from the schedule, as opposed to having an additional day to pay to have it open.

In the 5 yrs I've lived here I have never gone to the dump on a weekday, so I would not be opposed to cutting back the hours of operation mid week.

M@
M@

Postby RBarnes » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:05 am

M@ wrote:Extended weekday hours would probably be fine, and I think these already exist in the summer.

They do open late on Thursday’s during the summer.

M@ wrote:I had not considered the impact on the lawerence road residents.

That’s just it Matt, if the town wanted a site where they didn’t have to put the concerns of residents near by first then they should have done the right thing and put it in an industrial zone. Since they didn’t and instead but it in a residential zone, the impact on the nearby residence need to be considered first.

M@ wrote:he reason I proposed it was because I've come across many a Sunday (note the date of my original post) where I wish the dump was open. If Sunday were added I imagine another day (Tuesday?) could be removed from the schedule, as opposed to having an additional day to pay to have it open.

Likewise Matt, Sunday is my day off. Because of traffic on Saturdays I feel unsafe mowing the front of my law so Sundays are really the only days I have to do these types of things. Weekdays after a long day of work I personally don't have the energy to mow my lawn so I prefer to accomplish it on the weekends. Adding another day of residential dump traffic would take that away from me. And from talking with my neighbors I am not the only one on Lawrence Rd with that concern. Come down the road some Sunday. It's a far different road from what it is on Saturday. People are biking, kids are playing outside... things we can't do on Saturdays because of the dump. Pushing for Sunday hours will spur on a strong fight by those of us who look at that as our only true day off.

M@ wrote:In the 5 yrs I've lived here I have never gone to the dump on a weekday, so I would not be opposed to cutting back the hours of operation mid week.

As someone who works from home on Lawrence Rd I can tell you that you aren't the only one. During weekdays the only traffic I ever saw was haulers and now that we have the transfer station with it's higher tipping fees we really don't even have that. In fact I doubt I've heard more then 3 or 4 cars total go past my home in the last hour. The money we are spending on weekday hours is being wasted (no pun intended).

We would be far better with one or two late nights on weekdays and closing the site additional days. Maybe the solution would be open it late Wed and Thursday and regular hours on Saturday then close it the rest of the week.
RBarnes

Postby M@ » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:18 am

RBarnes wrote:We would be far better with one or two late nights on weekdays and closing the site additional days. Maybe the solution would be open it late Wed and Thursday and regular hours on Saturday then close it the rest of the week.

This sounds like a very good suggestion. What's the first step towards making it more of a reality?

M@
M@

Postby joe179 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:43 pm

I'm not too sure of the latest tonnage or commericial tipping figures, but it seems that the TS is funded mainly by taxation. Therefore it follows that the the Transfer Station should be open on hours most convenient to the citizens of Merrimack. The present hours of 8am to 4pm do not seem to be reasonable for most working people to utilize the TS facilities on weekdays. A shift in the hours on weekdays from 8-4 to 10-6 or 11-7 would help many people make their trip on days other than Saturday or Thursday. I don't know if there would be a cost impact--but this type of service should be considered.
joe179

Postby Muriel Lortie » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:38 pm

joe179 wrote:I'm not too sure of the latest tonnage or commericial tipping figures, but it seems that the TS is funded mainly by taxation. Therefore it follows that the the Transfer Station should be open on hours most convenient to the citizens of Merrimack. The present hours of 8am to 4pm do not seem to be reasonable for most working people to utilize the TS facilities on weekdays. A shift in the hours on weekdays from 8-4 to 10-6 or 11-7 would help many people make their trip on days other than Saturday or Thursday. I don't know if there would be a cost impact--but this type of service should be considered.

Hi Joe,
I appreciate and understand your view. I do hope the town administrators consider that these hours will further impact the quality of life of the residents leading to the TS.
Muriel Lortie

Postby RBarnes » Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:34 am

Muriel & Joe,

While this would be just one more of many negative issues impacting those of us living around the facility there is also one other issue to consider. Late nights mean we would need lights.

As it is now we only have Thursday nights as late hours and it's only during the summer when the sun stays out until well past its closing time. If we were to extend hours year round we would need to light the facility both inside and out and more importantly we would have to light the roadways leading to and from the facility. The roads are already unsafe because of its location as it is, I don’t think increasing the danger by opening it up late hours year round without lighting would be very wise for this town.

For a facility already costing this town much more then it was told it would cost us do you really think the people of this town are going to jump up and want to spend more money on the facility? But then again safety hasn't really been shown as a concern yet why stop now... let's just open it up late without lights and wait for lawsuits when people are injured.
RBarnes

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling