Should we move to PAYT or fund through the tax rate?

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Should we move to PAYT or fund through the tax rate?

Pay As You Throw
33
48%
Disposal costs paid through property tax
36
52%
 
Total votes : 69

Re: Should we move to PAYT or fund through the tax rate?

Postby RBarnes » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:36 am

andysinnh wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Tom Mahon wrote:Several haulers are advertising recycling pickup as part of their service. I received a mailing from Casella for trash and recyclables. There are several others out there who will do this.

:?: We got the mailing from Casella today. I was wondering if any readers have had any experience with this company? :?:

Wayne - if I read the postcard correctly it's $25 per month for JUST the recycle pickup - not trash. Add that to the $30 per month for trash pickup, and you're paying over $50 for a month. Ouch....

andy


Andy, I have the flier in front of me because I was going to post about it here.

It's $24.95 per month for trash and recycling pickup. They give the 2 large size toters free as part of the deal as well.

I can't see a company charging for recycling because they profit from what they collect on that side.

For each user the transfer station sees this town pays over $40 a month on average. We could collect the names of each and every person using the station and hire this service for them and we'd see the station portion of our taxes nearly drop in half and we'd still have recycling.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
User avatar
RBarnes
 
Posts: 6852
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:21 pm
Location: Merrimack

Re: Should we move to PAYT or fund through the tax rate?

Postby TonyRichardson » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:51 am

Have people looked at the charts included with the voter information documents?

Solid waste disposal (Transfer Station) is just over $1m of the budget representing 18% of our town budget.

Awful high price tag for a drop off point in my opinion.

Shutting it down would be an obvious $1m in open savings plus any other associated costs that are accounted for elswhere in the budget.
Liberalism - What happens when emotional reactions are confused with and substituted for facts and reason.
TonyRichardson
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Should we move to PAYT or fund through the tax rate?

Postby ggkrupp » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:32 am

TonyRichardson wrote:Solid waste disposal (Transfer Station) is just over $1m of the budget representing 18% of our town budget.

Awful high price tag for a drop off point in my opinion.

Shutting it down would be an obvious $1m in open savings plus any other associated costs that are accounted for elswhere in the budget.


Actually it is only 3.5% of the proposed budget but your point is still valid.
Gary G. Krupp

America is a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy (thankfully) :-)
User avatar
ggkrupp
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:41 pm
Location: Ministerial Dr

Re: Should we move to PAYT or fund through the tax rate?

Postby RBarnes » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:38 am

TonyRichardson wrote:Shutting it down would be an obvious $1m in open savings plus any other associated costs that are accounted for elswhere in the budget.


There are several other costs hidden through the budget. The cost of vehicle maintenance and fuel are two that come quickly to mind that last I knew were not in the solid waste portion of the budget. Employee benefits were not in it either.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
User avatar
RBarnes
 
Posts: 6852
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:21 pm
Location: Merrimack

Re: Should we move to PAYT or fund through the tax rate?

Postby TonyRichardson » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:46 am

ggkrupp wrote:
TonyRichardson wrote:Solid waste disposal (Transfer Station) is just over $1m of the budget representing 18% of our town budget.

Awful high price tag for a drop off point in my opinion.

Shutting it down would be an obvious $1m in open savings plus any other associated costs that are accounted for elswhere in the budget.


Actually it is only 3.5% of the proposed budget but your point is still valid.



Pretty little pie chart shows "Sanitation" as 18%
Liberalism - What happens when emotional reactions are confused with and substituted for facts and reason.
TonyRichardson
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Should we move to PAYT or fund through the tax rate?

Postby RBarnes » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:56 am

TonyRichardson wrote:Pretty little pie chart shows "Sanitation" as 18%


That might included waste water as well.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
User avatar
RBarnes
 
Posts: 6852
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:21 pm
Location: Merrimack

Re: Should we move to PAYT or fund through the tax rate?

Postby ggkrupp » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:58 am

It does ... Solid Waste + Waste Water Treatment is 17.6%
Gary G. Krupp

America is a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy (thankfully) :-)
User avatar
ggkrupp
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:41 pm
Location: Ministerial Dr

Re: Should we move to PAYT or fund through the tax rate?

Postby TonyRichardson » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:51 pm

I stand corrected.

Still not sanguine about tossing $1m a year into the TS money pit.
Liberalism - What happens when emotional reactions are confused with and substituted for facts and reason.
TonyRichardson
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 6:01 pm

Previous

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron