THROUGHPUT FOR THE TRANSFER STATION

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Postby RBarnes » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:09 pm

Tom Williams wrote:So, I correct my estimated cost of PAYT bags for self haulers to $5.88 / week ($305 / year).

At this rate, it may be sustainable. If the self haulers would do this and get their trash disposal off of my tax bill, then I would be satisfied to continue with my current privately contracted curbside service, even though I know both of us would pay less with townwide curbside.

$5.88 sounds close to what I came up with.

But when you consider that it does come out to be $305 a year and WM charges $302 a year for full service curbside... I know I for one would stop self-hauling in a minute.

My guess is you would be left with only a small handful of people such as Norm Carr who find the dump to be a social gathering place but unless they are wiling to pay more then the cost of full service curbside the town would have to look to other options to make up any shortfalls in funding. At that point what other options would there be other then to put it back in taxes?
RBarnes

Postby Norman Phillips » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:42 pm

RBarnes wrote:-------My guess is you would be left with only a small handful of people such as Norm Carr who find the dump to be a social gathering place-------

Gathering place with who? The seagulls? :D :D :D :D :D :D
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

Re: THROUGHPUT FOR THE TRANSFER STATION

Postby RBarnes » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:31 pm

Norman Phillips wrote:Last Wednesday Ed Chase, Director of DPW, supplied me with the following statistics on the trash that passed through the TS in January.
Total Tonnage: 526 tons (includes MSW and C&D)
Commercial : 147 tons " " "
=========
Residential: 379 tons (MSW)

Approximately 15,725 vehicles were recorded over the car counter

(379 tons)(2000 lbs./ton)
--------------------------------- = 48.2 lbs. per vehicle (ave.)
15725 vehicles

( The unweighed "Residential" ( known locally as "self-hauled" :D ) of 379 is obtained by subtracting the weighed input of "Commercial" from the weighed output of "Total Tonnage". )
Buckley has said that he will also take his trash to Bow as soon as he gets a Commercial Driver's License. In the past he has picked up about 1000 tons in a year.

Multiplying the 379 by ( 50 / 5 ) ( to allow for the 5 Saturdays in Jan. 2004 ) predicts a total of 3790 tons of self-hauled trash.

The remaining commercial tonnage would be 52/5 X 147 = 1529 tons. subtracting 800 of Buckley's tonnage leaves 729 tons of commercial trash. C&D ( Construction and Demolition ) trash may increase in the summer time.

We are ending up with a prediction of 3790 + 729 or about 4500 tons of trash throughput in the calendar year 2004.

I think it should be pointed out that the total tonnage for February was given out at the town meeting.

440 total tons

Norm, do you have the breakdown of how much of that was commercial vs. residential?
RBarnes

Postby Jim Bass » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:03 pm

Norman Phillips wrote:Gathering place with who? The seagulls? :D :D :D :D :D :D

Not anymore!

The "dump ducks" have flown the coop. :o :o :o :o :o :o
Jim Bass

Postby Norman Phillips » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:04 pm

Rick, I do not have the breakdown. I am sure that Ed Chase will be glad to give it to you if you email him.

I had made a private prediction in advance of the town DS assuming that the non-residential was the same as January, but since January had 5 Saturdays, while February had 4, I adjusted the residential self-hauled by 4/5. My predicted total was 450 tons. Did Buckley stop coming?
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

Re:

Postby Fitzie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:23 pm

Referenced just for fun....... but also to remind the new generation of MMK leadership that much of what they're considering today has been gone over before. Read the entire thread......its very valuable, especially Norman's comments.

Dennis King wrote:Sorry Wayne, I orignally posted this on the general town side, here it is on this thread as requested:

Wayne,
Funding the TS with taxes is unfair? How about the people who pay for the schools and don't have kids. How about the people who don't use the library, senior center, town welfare, and other such services. How about the inequity that a person in a condo may pay half the taxes of a home in town due to the higher values of those homes.

My point is we all pay for things we may never use in this town for the betterment of the town as a whole.

We simply do not have the numbers to determine the specific cost of the TS yet as labor cost will certainly decline if the usage does as well.

It may just be a lower cost alternative for those people in town (1/3 of them) who choose to self haul. We have people who have lost their jobs and other that live in trailer parks. Many senior are on fixed incomes and this certainly gives them a way to stretch those meager funds.

Lastly, this TS could serve us for 40 years or more (I have been told that just this thought is "hate speech").

Anyway, we just don't know what the future will hold and we may find our town ten years down the road praising the wisdom of the BOS.

For now, it is just too early to tell.

I am reminded of "Seward's folly",,, We now call it Alaska!

Dennis
Fitzie

Previous

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling