Want a Laugh??

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Postby Stan Heinrich » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:11 pm

Yes Rod Buckley did say once he gets a CDL and a packer truck he too would take Merrimack trash out of town to a lower priced dump station.
Stan Heinrich

Postby Norman Phillips » Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:03 pm

What is "CDL"?
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

CDL

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:08 pm

Norm

A CDL is a Commercial Drivers License.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Norman Phillips » Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:21 pm

You mean Buckley does not have one????
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

CDL

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:52 pm

Norm

apparently not - but he doesn't need one for the type of vehicle he currently uses for trash pickup. I think he is getting a larger truck whic would require a CDL.

All I know is what I heard at the BOS meeting the other night.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Norman Phillips » Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:00 pm

Thanks, Jeannine.
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

Postby Mark Fitzgerald » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:22 am

Hey Norman,

I could have sworn that as far back as three years ago I heard the prediction that no commercial waste would end up at a TS in MMK. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reality has set in. It costs $X to run the place and no matter what you do with tipping fees that $X won't change very much.
Mark Fitzgerald

Postby RBarnes » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:29 am

Mark Fitzgerald wrote:So much for Nancy Gagnon's desire to "keep the money in MMK".

This point was so right on the money I think it needs to be repeated.

Here I though Buckley was the one decent hauler in the bunch and actually supporting the transfer station that he and his fellow haulers fought so hard for based on principles.

I guess in July when the BOS review the tipping fees once again this town will be left with one of two choices and neither of them are any good... we either lower the tipping fees down low enough that the haulers will use the facility leaving the tax payers having to subsidize their hauling business or keep the tipping fee at an amount where it covers at least some of the operational costs even if they aren't the fair proportions in which case the haulers wont use the facility leaving the extra burden on the tax payers.

So where are all those who argued in favor of the station? Why have they nothing to say? This town was lied to and coned into believe that this was a cheaper and better alternative which is becoming clearer and clearer day-by-day to EVERYONE that it isn’t. If Dennis King or Jim Bass or any of the others that supported this monstrosity had any moral fibers what so ever you would hear them come out and admit they were wrong but I’m not holding my breath for that one. Maybe if I have time for laughs I might look up some of other arguments they used to “sell” this station to the taxpayers of Merrimack. Let’s see how many of their “facts” still hold up. So far the “keeping money in Merrimack” and the TS being the cheaper option didn’t hold true. Not a very good track record. Yet every point those for curbside made as to why the TS would be a bad idea has held up to be true so far.
RBarnes

Postby Mark Fitzgerald » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:54 am

Its all about "choice" Rick, and the haulers are freely "choosing" to not the use facility. I don't fault them, they are doing exactly what a business should do. I just think they never fully recognized that a stand-alone muni TS in MMK could never be competitive with a group of private TS's that have direct ties to most of the disposal capacity in NE. He who owns the disposal capacity rules.......always has and always will.

Next prediction......one of the larger companies will start actively marketing pickup in MMK for 25% less than the local pricing......with recyling. It is all sooooo predictable.
Mark Fitzgerald

Postby RBarnes » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:34 am

Mark Fitzgerald wrote:I just think they never fully recognized that a stand-alone muni TS in MMK could never be competitive with a group of private TS's that have direct ties to most of the disposal capacity in NE.

I don't know. I think it was more of a case in that they didn't care. They were in it for their businesses alone and didn't truly care about the taxpayer.

Mark Fitzgerald wrote:Next prediction......one of the larger companies will start actively marketing pickup in MMK for 25% less than the local pricing......with recyling. It is all sooooo predictable.

Already happening, while not to the tune of 25% less then the lowest priced hauler but Waste Management is already charging far less then any of the other haulers.
RBarnes

Postby Norman Phillips » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:02 am

Mark, from your service on Dick Hinch's Ad Hoc Committee on SW 18 months ago, you must remember how the local haulers maintained that they were unable to take SW out of Merrimack, and hence needed a transfer station.

And how the Committee bent over backward to develop scenarios where they could compete within Merrimack, such as dividing the town into areas where each one of them could pick up curbside from one third or so of the town.

If they have business sense, it is not a far-seeing vision whatsoever, only do what one is forced to do at the last minute.

Sad.
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

Postby RBarnes » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:38 pm

Norman Phillips wrote:Mark, from your service on Dick Hinch's Ad Hoc Committee on SW 18 months ago, you must remember how the local haulers maintained that they were unable to take SW out of Merrimack, and hence needed a transfer station.
And how the Committee bent over backward to develop scenarios where they could compete within Merrimack, such as dividing the town into areas where each one of them could pick up curbside from one third or so of the town.

Exactly Norm. If they had any sense at all they would have looked to divide the town up amongst themselves and give the town a curbside quote. Instead they LIED saying they couldn't take the trash out of town because it would be too expensive and a transfer station would be the cheaper way to go. While people will keep this in mind when curbside is put back up to a vote and trust me it will be put back up to a vote.

And what really annoys me is the sharp contrast of how the town bends over backwards to get opinions of what will make the haulers happy or help their business when compared to how they treat other businesses such as Adelphia cable. The taxpayers were not put first when it comes to the transfer station.
RBarnes

Previous

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling