Town dumping costs

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Town dumping costs

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:21 pm

I read in today's paper that the town is paying $52 per ton to dump in Rochester. I don't care about any of this but I have seen numbers thrown around on this board for months and never saw $52 as one of them.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Re: Town dumping costs

Postby RBarnes » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:38 pm

Jeannine S. wrote:I read in today's paper that the town is paying $52 per ton to dump in Rochester. I don't care about any of this but I have seen numbers thrown around on this board for months and never saw $52 as one of them.

I believe that is JUST the cost to dump. We also have costs to haul it there as well as the facilities operational costs as well.

If you take the total cost of everything and divide it by the amount of expected waste you come up with a total cost of about $122 a ton.
RBarnes

Costs

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:40 pm

RBarnes

I believe that is JUST the cost to dump. We also have costs to haul it there as well as the facilities operational costs as well.

That is true, but it is the first time I see a number for this, which is why I posted it in case others were interested in knowing.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby Dennis King » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:40 pm

Now don't forget to subtract the $110/ton we get in revenue.

Dennis
Dennis King

Postby Ann Goldman » Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:04 pm

Dennis King wrote:Now don't forget to subtract the $110/ton we get in revenue.

Dennis

And don't forget that the $110/ton in revenue is for the commercially hauled trash brought to the TS which is minimal at this point.

And don't forget that the zero/ton trash from the self-haulers is costing the taxpayers $52/ton to dump in Rochester.

Let's get the complete picture here. Waste Management is NOT bringing their trash to the Merrimack TS. I expect that the other major hauler won't either. Do the math Dennis! Even if the amount of trash at $110/ton equals the amount of trash at zero/ton, we still are paying for 6 employees and the facility and the hauling of all the trash to the Rochester site.

Annie
Ann Goldman

Postby Ann Goldman » Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:17 pm

I think this thread belongs in the Solid Waste Topic board.
Ann Goldman

Postby RBarnes » Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:23 pm

The spreadsheet the town gave out at the tipping rate public hearing had a rate of close to $90 a ton as our total contracted out per ton rate.

This was broken out into 3 different costs...

$52 per ton for disposal costs
$17.89 per ton for C&D hauling (14.90 for MSW hauling)
$20.31 per ton for loading

If you take the total budget cost and divide by the total amount of waste expected you come up with a total cost to the town of about $122 per ton for the waste going through the station.

Now since the largest local haulers have already stopped using the site our revenue from tipping is going to continue to drop as people switch to the haulers with lower rates (which are the ones skipping the TS).

What we are going to slowly see is the large majority of people hiring haulers using the exact same CS type service taking trash directly out of town as we could have had if CS passed yet they will be paying much more per year for this service. If you take the cost of the TS and divide it out by the amount of people who will actually be using it the cost per person again in this case would be far grater then if we had CS.... but since those of you who pay for the CS will also be subsidizing some of the TS costs it will slightly help keep the self haulers costs lower. But when you factor in the time and out side expenses they put in for this self-service option they too will be spending far more.
RBarnes

Postby RBarnes » Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:37 pm

Ann Goldman wrote:And don't forget that the $110/ton in revenue is for the commercially hauled trash brought to the TS which is minimal at this point.

It doesn't even cover the full per ton rate we as a town will be paying. Divide the total cost of the TS by the expected tonnage and you come up with about $122 or more a ton (depending on which estimates you use). By charging the haulers only $110 we are subsidizing their businesses with our taxes and still the largest of them aren't even using the facility because of the tipping rate.

Ann Goldman wrote:And don't forget that the zero/ton trash from the self-haulers is costing the taxpayers $52/ton to dump in Rochester.

As I said that is only to DUMP the trash... we are also paying 20.31 for loading and $14.90 a ton for hauling. And then there are all the operational expenses, which will never go away even if we received zero tons of trash on top of all these other per ton expenses. The less trash taken to the site the higher the per ton cost will be for those who use it since we have the flat base cost (which by my calculations came to be a little over $800,000).

Ann Goldman wrote:Do the math Dennis! Even if the amount of trash at $110/ton equals the amount of trash at zero/ton, we still are paying for 6 employees and the facility and the hauling of all the trash to the Rochester site.

Ann, don't even bother trying to explain this to Dennis. If you follow his most recent argument claiming there is 1.5 million in savings over CS with the TS you see he somehow things that we will take in 1.9+ million in tipping revenue. To achieve that we would need to collect 18,000+ tons from the haulers at the station. His argument also bases around the theory that $110 a ton in tipping will pay not only the $122 per ton we as a town pay but go on to cover even more of the expenses.
RBarnes

Postby Mark Fitzgerald » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:43 pm

Dennis wrote:

We won't, but we also won't forget to add the other $78/ton to operate the TS making the full equation $52 to dump + $78 to operate = $130 total. Now we simply subtract the $110/ton revenue and we arrive at a deficit of $20/ton. Thanks for helping us figure this out Dennis, others (Jeannine) may have thought you were actually trying to imply a $58/ton profit.
Mark Fitzgerald

Postby RBarnes » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:47 pm

Mark Fitzgerald wrote:Dennis wrote:

We won't, but we also won't forget to add the other $78/ton to operate the TS making the full equation $52 to dump + $78 to operate = $130 total. Now we simply subtract the $110/ton revenue and we arrive at a deficit of $20/ton. Thanks for helping us figure this out Dennis, others (Jeannine) may have thought you were actually trying to imply a $58/ton profit.

Reminder to both of you... that $110 a ton we get from the haulers are ONLY from the haulers using the TS. So far Waste Management, BFI, Less Mess and Houle have started dumping elsewhere. The only hauler I know of actually using the TS is Buckley and since Buckley's past receipts show him taking in only about 975 tons I wouldn't count too much on revenue.
RBarnes

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling