TIPPING FEES

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Postby Muriel Lortie » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:54 am

Roland Houle and Mark Mercier are not using the Merrimack TS. They are bringing it to Bow because they are saving money. Buckley is the only local hauler using the Merrimack TS. And, I can take good guess why.

Dennis King,
I remember before the Budget Committee Roland Houle stated he gave this town $180,000.00 in revenue. With not only losing his revenue but others, who is going to pay to maintain this TS and pay to take our trash to it's final destination?
Last edited by Muriel Lortie on Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muriel Lortie

Postby Denise O'Dwyer » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:02 pm

THE TAXPAYERS OF MERRIMACK

:evil:
Denise O'Dwyer

Postby RBarnes » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:16 pm

Muriel Lortie wrote:Roland Houle and Mark Mercier are not using the Merrimack TS. They are bringing it to Bow because they are saving money. Buckley is the only local hauler using the Merrimack TS. And, I wonder why?

Dennis King,
I remember before the Budget Committee Roland Houle stated he gave this town $180,000.00 in revenue. With not only losing his revenue but others, who is going to pay to maintain this TS and take our trash to it's final destination?

Muriel,
I have a prediction to make regarding this... if we drop down to about 12,000 tons total being taken to the TS (which considering in the past we had over 15,000 coming from the haulers alone) then according to Norm's budget numbers the cost of the TS will drop below the 1.8 million per year we would have paid with CS. Now keep in mind that would mean a large portion of the town is paying haulers NOT to use the facility so the percent of the town using the facility in my guess would be about 50 to 60 percent.

Now my prediction is the TS will suddenly declare this a victory because they can then show the TS is cheaper then curbside of course ignoring the fact that only a portion of the town is actually using it while the rest pay for some other service and in a CS plan the entire town would have service for only 1.8 million.

This is EXACTLY why in a TS to CS comparison you MUST include any outside costs because with the TS it is possible for 50% to hire a hauler that doesn't even use the TS so they are paying for their waste to be collected yet by having a hauler taking it directly out of town they are not impacting the towns costs.

On and one more point... since Less Mess and Houle are skipping the station and Buckley isn't I find their price increases even more interesting...

$372 for Houle
$361.40 Less Mess
$325 for Buckley
$302 for Waste Management
RBarnes

Postby Muriel Lortie » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:17 pm

R Barnes,

I would like to know what Dennis King's prediction is on this turn of events.
Muriel Lortie

Postby Mark Fitzgerald » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:28 pm

It would have been easier to pile $2,000,000 up in the brush pile and burn it for all the good this TS will do the resident taxpayer. While they're at it, throw another $300,000 in the fire for what's being needlessly spent by users of the system so one hauler could use the site with his box truck and another can drive his F-150 and two-wheel trailer held together with bungie chords to Bow. It is laughable. Nobody who supported this thing has any right to bitch about their taxes and their lack of pocket money for pizzas on Friday night.

The only ones who won were Waste Management, who still get all the trash tipping revenue without having the hassle of picking it up at 10,000 individual households.
Mark Fitzgerald

Postby RBarnes » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:10 pm

Mark Fitzgerald wrote:While they're at it, throw another $300,000 in the fire for what's being needlessly spent by users of the system so one hauler could use the site with his box truck and another can drive his F-150 and two-wheel trailer held together with bungie chords to Bow. It is laughable.

Sadly for those of us paying for this albatross it isn't all that laughable.

I completely forgot about the $300,000 scale we'll be paying for that will hardly be used since most of the haulers are now skipping the station all together. And it isn't even like that would be an expense we can pass on to the few haulers who will actually be using it since raising the tipping fee to the rate it would need to be to cover their actual expenses rather then subsidizing them through our taxes would more then like drive them either out of business all together or drive them to skip the station as well.
RBarnes

Postby Shannon Barnes » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:48 pm

I do not know who can answer this question, but how can we as taxpayers get information from the town on how much in tipping fees is collected monthly?

If even 10 percent of the information on this board is correct we are losing our shirts on this deal.

I am seeking facts as a taxpayer first THEN as a LR resident!

S.
Shannon Barnes

Previous

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling