Transfer Station NOW OPEN.

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Postby Constitution1 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:28 pm

Mark-

1. It costs a hypothetical town $100,000 per year for school bus service to transport children to and from school. Twenty parents decide to hire a taxi service each day to transport their children to and from school. The total cost of this private taxi service for these twenty children is $20,000 per year. It is the height of stupidity to add the $20,000 to the $100,000 and proclaim that the total cost for the town to transport children to and from school is $120,000. The total cost for the town is still $100,000.

2. If anyone thinks that you can hire a company to pick-up trash at over 10,000 different locations and remove it from town for less than it costs to pick-up the same trash from one location and remove it from town, then that "anyone" is a fool!
Constitution1
Constitution1

Postby RBarnes » Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:37 pm

Constitution1 wrote:1. It costs a hypothetical town $100,000 per year for school bus service to transport children to and from school. Twenty parents decide to hire a taxi service each day to transport their children to and from school. The total cost of this private taxi service for these twenty children is $20,000 per year. It is the height of stupidity to add the $20,000 to the $100,000 and proclaim that the total cost for the town to transport children to and from school is $120,000. The total cost for the town is still $100,000.

That isn't the case with the TS. We know it's total cost will be about 2.26 million. Lets say for this example we collect $760,000 in tipping fees we would only need to collect 1.5 million in taxes but if those hiring haulers stop and we only get $260,000 in tipping the total amount of the TS is STILL 2.26 million so we would need 2 million in taxes. Get it?

Constitution1 wrote:2. If anyone thinks that you can hire a company to pick-up trash at over 10,000 different locations and remove it from town for less than it costs to pick-up the same trash from one location and remove it from town, then that "anyone" is a fool!

Constitution, while you may think otherwise the numbers prove otherwise.

2.26 million for the cost of the TS and the quote for town wide CS was 1.8 million.

What you seem to forget is BOTH would have full time employees (one pushing trash into a truck while in the other they drive around tossing trash into a truck), both have trucks hauling the trash, both have to pay a tipping fee to the final site but the TS has building maintenance on top of everything else and it's a town run facility rather then being 100% outsourced to a private business as CS would have been.
RBarnes

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:42 pm

Who Cares
Devils Advocate

Postby Muriel Lortie » Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:44 pm

DA,
As I stated to you in a email, it was the deceit that I had a difficult time accepting not the TS. Is this what you call being bias?

Heck, I had voted for two of the previous BOS. Believing they were honest and forthright. I will be the first to agree to disagree. But don't play games with peoples' lives. And, that's what they did. One even told me they wanted to protect the small businesses in town. Where are the local haulers now? Their hauling somewhere else because it's cheaper.

Fran L'Heureux and Nancy Gagnon are self-serving. Norm Carr is attempting to make a point at our expense and Tony P must give his opinions in the back room because he doesn't say much during a BOS meeting.
Muriel Lortie

Postby Mark Fitzgerald » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:38 pm

Hey Muriel, it is comical isn't it?

The town not only builds them a $2,000,000 facility, they give their businesses a kiss in the mail of around $250,000 by not charging full cost and subsidizing the joint with taxpayer's money. Yet after all this they turn their nose up at the idea and send to Bow the money Nancy Gagnon wanted to "keep in MMK".

It would have been equally efficient and more fun for all involved if the $2,000,000 had been gathered together in a big pile and burned. The only question left now for MMK taxpayers is if they wish to continue throwing away another $250,000 each year.
Mark Fitzgerald

Postby lowerrtaxes » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:44 pm

Hey mike,

how's that trash budget going in Nashua? Heard there was a shortfall or something.

Are you ignoring it or are you getting 'involved'?

Have you had any time to spend more time researching garbage?
STOP GOVERNMENT GREED
STOP GOVERNMENT SPRAWL
lowerrtaxes

Postby Muriel Lortie » Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:06 pm

Mark Fitzgerald wrote:Hey Muriel, it is comical isn't it?

The town not only builds them a $2,000,000 facility, they give their businesses a kiss in the mail of around $250,000 by not charging full cost and subsidizing the joint with taxpayer's money. Yet after all this they turn their nose up at the idea and send to Bow the money Nancy Gagnon wanted to "keep in MMK".

It would have been equally efficient and more fun for all involved if the $2,000,000 had been gathered together in a big pile and burned. The only question left now for MMK taxpayers is if they wish to continue throwing away another $250,000 each year.

Mark,
What's also comical the local haulers are blaming the current BOS for making them haul elsewhere.
Last edited by Muriel Lortie on Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muriel Lortie

Postby Muriel Lortie » Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:29 pm

lowerrtaxes wrote:Hey mike,

how's that trash budget going in Nashua? Heard there was a shortfall or something.

Are you ignoring it or are you getting 'involved'?

Have you had any time to spend more time researching garbage?

Hey LT, there definitely will be a shortfall or something with our trash budget.

WM is reaping their reward.

Time for you to get involved. :lol:
Muriel Lortie

Postby RBarnes » Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:34 am

Mark, your last comment just triggered my memory. I heard a rumor this week that the TS was either over budget or we didn't really have the 1.5 million in the general fund we were lead to believe. Regardless of which the point was we are now stuck having to pay taxes to cover the building cost on top of the maintenance costs when we were originally told we had the funds from the $40 a ton tipping rate we used to charge at the landfill to cover it.

Again I don't know if this can be confirmed but from what I understand as inflation went up over the years the $40 no longer even covered the cost of running the land fill so we were even subsidizing that after a while with out taxes.

I would love to see the Merrimack Journal or New Connection do some investigative reporting and get to the bottom of this one. Just how much are we REALLY being taxes for this?
RBarnes

Postby Mark Fitzgerald » Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:21 am

Rick,

I'd have a very hard time believing the $40/ton didn't cover the cost to operate the landfill. If there was a shortfall, perhaps it had to do with additional money being needed for closure. The hole in the ground and old recycling center only cost about $35/ton to operate. I'm 100% sure of this.
Mark Fitzgerald

Postby RBarnes » Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:59 am

As I said, I can't confirm this at all but the more I think about it even in the public hearing for the tipping fees one of the BOS members made a claim that the $40 tipping fee didn't cover the full amount due to inflation. Maybe someone else who watched the meeting can verify this.

But either way I would be very interesting in knowing what the actual full construction costs came out to be when all was said and done and exactly how much of it was truly covered by money earned off the $40 tipping fee.
RBarnes

Postby Mark Fitzgerald » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:15 am

Shock!! Horror!! You mean they may have had to dip into the General Fund as well??
Mark Fitzgerald

Previous

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling