Transfer Station Operation

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Transfer Station Operation

Postby uscitizen03054 » Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:50 pm

Can someone please tell me how the transfer station will operate? Can I throw anything away there?
uscitizen03054

Transfer Station

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:44 pm

Today's Merrimack Connection had a column written by Dean Shankle that explained the new procedures at the transfer station.

Here is the article

A weekly column by Dean E. Shankle, Jr., Ph.D.

Merrimack Town Manager

Transfer Station information
The closing of the landfill is upon us. The open house for the Transfer Station took place on Saturday, December 13th and beginning January 2nd, the transfer station will be receiving the town's trash.

Although we have been discussing it for a long time, I expect there are many people who are wondering, now that the time is near, what exactly this means to them if they are accustomed to bringing their trash to the landfill. Well, not as much is changing as you think. In fact, it should be an easier, cleaner and quicker process than driving through the mud, backing as close as you can to a large, deep hole (hopefully, without falling in) and then throwing bags at the seagulls.

It is important to remember that you will not be charged for bringing anything in now that you were not charged for before. Which means that you will only be charged if you bring in tires ($2.00 each) or if you are transporting over 1,000 pounds of trash or construction and demolition material, in which case you will be treated as a commercial hauler and charged $110 per ton.

At the open house a brochure was distributed (copies of which can be picked up at Town Hall) that showed a map of the new facility and explained, step by step, how to dispose of various items. Although I can't reproduce the map in this memo, I would like to pick out some facts from the brochure that I think you might want to know.

"The new transfer station layout will require a one-way traffic pattern to safely and quickly move residents through the facilityResidents that wish to recycle will bear left at the fork and continue into the recycling facility to drop off their items"

The waste auto oil and antifreeze drop-off area "is located directly behind the recycling facility We do not accept oil-based paints, solvents, gasoline," etc. Latex paint cans (once you have left them open until the paint dries) can be disposed of with the household trash.

There is a yard waste and brush drop-off area. "The brush area only accepts material 5" in diameter and smaller. We will no longer be accepting stumps." There is a concrete pad to drop off white goods such as refrigerators, air-conditioners, washers, dryers and stoves.

There is a tire drop-off trailer and an area for scrap metal. The Transfer Station will not accept propane tanks, home heating oil tanks, gas tanks and 55 gallon drums. There will also be trailers in which you can dispose of your construction and demolition (C&D) material.

And then, last but not least, you reach the Transfer Station building itself. "This building will accept your regular household trash that will be dropped through small openings at the front of the building to be scooped up and loaded into transport trailers and hauled to a location out of town."

I hope this brief tour of the new facility makes you feel a little more comfortable about your first trip there. Please call public works if you have any questions (4245137). As the brochure says, "We emphasize that if you are uncertain of the location to drop off an item or have any questions at all, please ask the staff. We will gladly advise in the proper method of disposal. As always, thank you for your cooperation and support."
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling