Wny Not Open the Transfer Station Every Sunday?

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Wny Not Open the Transfer Station Every Sunday?

Postby jjgrady » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:25 am

For a variety of reasons, I did not get to the transfer station yesterday and took advantage of the special Sunday opening today. I just got back and although it was not Saturday traffic, all three areas that I visited (recycling, compost, and trash drop off) saw a steady stream of visitors. For those who are concerned, yes there was an attendant at the gate checking stickers. It got me to thinking, why not open up the transfer station every Sunday to enable residents (taxpayers) who can not make it on other days?

First a little history. Back in the late 70's when we had a town meeting that really meant something, a voter brought the issue of Sunday opening up on the floor. At the time as is now, the dump was only open Tuesday through Saturday. Although back then there was built in over time for the attendants to do grading work on Monday's. I do not believe that we have the overtime situation on Monday's today. It was suggested that we close the dump on Tuesday and open it on Sunday when more residents could take advantage of the hours. Both the Selectmen and the DPW administration spoke against this and stated that we had an obligation to contract haulers to keep the dump open on Tuesday's. The Sunday opening died on the floor of the town meeting.

It is now 2011. Things have changed. We no longer have the high volume of contract haulers. Our community has grown. Society has changed. Many no longer work a Monday through Friday schedule and just can't get to the transfer station. Why not open on Sunday's throughout the year? Close it on Monday's and Tuesday's. Overtime should not be an issue if it is only open 40 hours per week. If there is an issue with the DPW employee's contract, maybe this could be broached in negotiations?
Last edited by jjgrady on Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jjgrady
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:15 pm

Re: Wny Not Open the Transfer Station Every Sunday?

Postby bobandgeri » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:35 pm

Agree! Having it only open 8 - 4 seems to be more about what some people want as a work day, versus what is best for the residents of Merrimack.

We should have curbside, but until that happens the TS should be open to 8 PM at night and all day Sat and Sun to allow those that work normal hours to use make use of the facility without having to give up a Saturday.
bobandgeri
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 1:22 pm

Re: Wny Not Open the Transfer Station Every Sunday?

Postby andysinnh » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:51 am

I agree we should consider opening it on Sunday - but maybe instead of closing it on Tuesday we make those days 1/2 days or something like that. Something to consider perhaps for one of those "voter inquiry" questionnaires at the polls next spring?

IN terms of keeping it open later, the only reason that works in the summer till 7:30 on Thursdays is because it doesn't get dark that early. The TS isn't lit up hardly at all - especially in the areas like metal, brush, etc. If we really wanted to make the TS a resident-friendly facility in terms of time open, the town will need to invest in lighting to make it truly functional....

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:04 am
Location: Woodward Rd

Re: Wny Not Open the Transfer Station Every Sunday?

Postby sabrina » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:29 am

They should close it on Monday's and Thursday's and be open the rest of the week and the entire weekend. People work during the week and only have a small window of opportunity to get there on a Saturday especially if there are kids activities... opening on both Saturday and Sunday would be great, who can we write to?
sabrina
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:18 pm

Re: Wny Not Open the Transfer Station Every Sunday?

Postby lynn » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:06 pm

town council and town manager
lynn
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:00 pm

Re: Wny Not Open the Transfer Station Every Sunday?

Postby Brian McCarthy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:22 pm

As I recall, there are several trips out of there with full loads on a Saturday. I am going to assume that volume would go up on a Sunday should it be open, but is that MORE volume or just displaced volume from a different day?

The trash floor can hold a little overflow, but it would make Wed (if it was closed Monday/Tuesday) a very busy day traveling to catch up.

I believe there are also regulations on how long the stuff can 'sit around'.

Never mind the recycling side of the issue (staff, transportation, overflow...).
Brian McCarthy
 
Posts: 1347
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:12 am
Location: Merrimack, NH

Re: Wny Not Open the Transfer Station Every Sunday?

Postby RBarnes » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:52 pm

So screw over those of us living on the road?

Sunday is the one day people living on the road can (and do) bike down the road without the fear of being run down. Kids can walk to their friends houses without being hit by cars (which we've already seen one get hit because of dump traffic).

If you want convent hours then get it out of a residential neighborhood so you aren't taking away the little bit of quality of life afforded to those of us having to put up with it.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
User avatar
RBarnes
 
Posts: 6852
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:21 pm
Location: Merrimack

Re: Wny Not Open the Transfer Station Every Sunday?

Postby MMK » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:10 am

RBarnes wrote:So screw over those of us living on the road?

Sunday is the one day people living on the road can (and do) bike down the road without the fear of being run down. Kids can walk to their friends houses without being hit by cars (which we've already seen one get hit because of dump traffic).

If you want convent hours then get it out of a residential neighborhood so you aren't taking away the little bit of quality of life afforded to those of us having to put up with it.


How long have you lived in Merrimack Rick, and more importantly, how long have you lived on Lawrence Road?
MMK
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:32 pm

Re: Wny Not Open the Transfer Station Every Sunday?

Postby RBarnes » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:26 pm

MMK wrote:How long have you lived in Merrimack Rick, and more importantly, how long have you lived on Lawrence Road?


I moved here in 2001, before the transfer station was put in.

And yes there was a dump and dump traffic to deal with but that didn't include tractor trailers hauling trash away from the site. We had one way traffic before and the town voted not to even consider Lawrence for future dump sites, a vote that the selectmen at the time choose to ignore.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
User avatar
RBarnes
 
Posts: 6852
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:21 pm
Location: Merrimack

Re: Wny Not Open the Transfer Station Every Sunday?

Postby FromMerrimack » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:12 pm

FACT: When we operated as a dump we accepted commercial waste and they paid by the cubic yard. Houle, Waste Management and BFI had packer trucks and open roll-offs going to and from the dump 4 days of the week on a regular basis(no commercial on Saturdays). And then we had all of the occasional roll offs from construction and demolition sites. True, not tractor trailers, but I wouldn't want to bump bumpers with them either.
BTW - doesn't every vehicle that goes to the site leave? How can it only be one way?
FromMerrimack
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:40 pm
Location: NE part of town

Re: Wny Not Open the Transfer Station Every Sunday?

Postby Fitzie » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:37 pm

FromMerrimack wrote:FACT: When we operated as a dump we accepted commercial waste and they paid by the cubic yard. Houle, Waste Management and BFI had packer trucks and open roll-offs going to and from the dump 4 days of the week on a regular basis(no commercial on Saturdays). And then we had all of the occasional roll offs from construction and demolition sites. True, not tractor trailers, but I wouldn't want to bump bumpers with them either.
BTW - doesn't every vehicle that goes to the site leave? How can it only be one way?


All that proves is it shouldn't have been sited there 40 years ago either. Nothing more. :D
Fitzie
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:04 pm

Re: Wny Not Open the Transfer Station Every Sunday?

Postby FromMerrimack » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:20 pm

Fitzie wrote:
FromMerrimack wrote:FACT: When we operated as a dump we accepted commercial waste and they paid by the cubic yard. Houle, Waste Management and BFI had packer trucks and open roll-offs going to and from the dump 4 days of the week on a regular basis(no commercial on Saturdays). And then we had all of the occasional roll offs from construction and demolition sites. True, not tractor trailers, but I wouldn't want to bump bumpers with them either.
BTW - doesn't every vehicle that goes to the site leave? How can it only be one way?


All that proves is it shouldn't have been sited there 40 years ago either. Nothing more. :D


What proof is that?? My fact reference was to the supposedly horrible truck traffic today, when I can say it was a lot worse BEFORE the transfer station. Thank you for not disagreeing with that fact. Heavy traffic was reduced. That should be good, I think. You might be suggesting a 40 year conspiracy?
FromMerrimack
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:40 pm
Location: NE part of town

Re: Wny Not Open the Transfer Station Every Sunday?

Postby RBarnes » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:57 am

FromMerrimack wrote:My fact reference was to the supposedly horrible truck traffic today, when I can say it was a lot worse BEFORE the transfer station. Thank you for not disagreeing with that fact. Heavy traffic was reduced. That should be good, I think. You might be suggesting a 40 year conspiracy?


Your confusing two points. The trucks are a problem and the fact someone hasn't yet been killed is luck on the town's half.

Mark and a couple other hired one of the same tractor trailers used on the site today before the station was build and instructed the driver to drive as safe as possible from the site to the main road. The truck could not physically make it from that site to the highway without crossing into the other lane at several points along the way. I have the video if you'd like to see it (it's a VHS copy).

Even today when I watch that truck travel down the road they aren't nearly as careful as the driver Mark and others hired and they cross the center several times on each trip, some out of bad driving and others because the truck cannot safely make it down a narrow country road.

That was point one, the "truck" traffic is terrible and unsafe.

Point two is over all traffic and your right it was a lot worse before the station... because less of the town uses it. Not a single hauling business uses it.

So while the station's trucks are the main problem the over all traffic is less.

That said it doesn't make it any more safe where it's located. The country road's cannot handle regular traffic much less tractor trailers as evident by the little boy hit by the pickup truck months back.

At what point do you say it's unsafe? After someone is killed?
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
User avatar
RBarnes
 
Posts: 6852
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:21 pm
Location: Merrimack

Re: Wny Not Open the Transfer Station Every Sunday?

Postby FromMerrimack » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:29 am

We continue to digress from topic and I have deleted an intended response to RBarnes' last post.
Bottom line, on topic, is that I do not agree that the Transfer Station should be open on Sundays. I agree that the weekend day of peace should be continued. I also believe that use vs the cost that routine Sundays would be a grand waste of money. We can have better user friendly hours by opening and closing later Tue - Fri than being open on a Sunday. I have mentioned noon to sunset. I also think that Saturday use will slow down a little if we have 4 other days that we can get there after work so that we don't have to have to continue my Saturday routine. Right now if I cut my grass on Sunday my routine has me waiting until next Saturday to get rid of my 2 barrels of clippings unless I doubletime it home to do it on a weekday.
FromMerrimack
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:40 pm
Location: NE part of town

Re: Wny Not Open the Transfer Station Every Sunday?

Postby Fitzie » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:25 pm

FromMerrimack wrote:
Fitzie wrote:
FromMerrimack wrote:FACT: When we operated as a dump we accepted commercial waste and they paid by the cubic yard. Houle, Waste Management and BFI had packer trucks and open roll-offs going to and from the dump 4 days of the week on a regular basis(no commercial on Saturdays). And then we had all of the occasional roll offs from construction and demolition sites. True, not tractor trailers, but I wouldn't want to bump bumpers with them either.
BTW - doesn't every vehicle that goes to the site leave? How can it only be one way?


All that proves is it shouldn't have been sited there 40 years ago either. Nothing more. :D


What proof is that?? My fact reference was to the supposedly horrible truck traffic today, when I can say it was a lot worse BEFORE the transfer station. Thank you for not disagreeing with that fact. Heavy traffic was reduced. That should be good, I think. You might be suggesting a 40 year conspiracy?


Nope, you still don't get it.

Your interpretation of better or worse is meaningless....as is mine. The only criteria that matters (or will matter if the issue ends up being debated in a court of law) relate to the suitability of that area to accommodate the type of traffic REQUIRED for the operation of the facility. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hopefully that day never comes but if it does, as Ricky said to Lucy many times.....you're (as in the Town of MMK) going to "have some 'splaining to do". And before some other anonymous former BOS member or town employee blurts out "Discretionary Function Immunity" they would do well to consider this defense requires proof of a high level of descretion and judgement combined with the thoughtful consideration of other options. Good luck with that.
Fitzie
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:04 pm

Next

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron