Selectmen Abdicate Responsibility

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Postby Wayne » Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:19 pm

What I think might have the most credibility would be a petitioned warrant article from the AdHoc committee itself. Anything from individuals or one of Tony Pellegrino's "groups" will always be suspect. Any chance the committee could reconvene (unofficially, of course) to carry out this one last task?
Wayne

Postby Mark Fitzgerald » Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:27 pm

Joe,

You hit on a very important point when you stated:

Simultaneously, we should begin canvassing prospective candidates to replace the BOS members who have acted with gross negligence, and apparent conflict of interest, in the managing of the peoples business!

There was nothing apparent about it, there was a very clear business conflict of interest last night relative to the existing traffic route and volume. Heavy traffic is not a bad thing to some businesses.
Mark Fitzgerald

Postby Mike Scopa » Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:48 pm

I'd like to see someone post the sequence of events that would have to take place in order for this issue to result in curbside pickup for the town.

I say this because I place more credence in recommendations made by a committee of subject matter experts than a committee of...erh you know. :wink:

I think if we all knew what needs to be done then we can get on with this issue and resolve it once and for all.

I'm hoping this sequence would also put the BOS out of the loop.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike Scopa

Postby Mark Fitzgerald » Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:03 pm

Mike, Wayne and Joe,

Please call me this weekend to discuss this. There are several options available to us and we will need to coordinate our efforts.

I'm in the book.
Mark Fitzgerald

Postby Chuck Mower » Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:12 pm

I was unable to view last nigh'ts meeting and appreciate the forum letting me know the framework of events. One of the things that is seldom examined in this odessey is the brutality and abusive handling of the people of Merrimack. It seems that we are so accustomed to the deadbeat paterninty of the Selectmen that we have lost sight of the nobleness of public service and the good that it provides under more capable and thoughtful public servants.

The Arena was the sandy area of the Coliseum where brutal battles between people and animals took place. The emporers sat amused or bored and indicated by thumbs what their disposition was.

The selectmen seem intent upon watching blood battles of citizens left without leadership or understanding of their circumstances. Most of us would be in jail if we treated our families in the same manner as the selectmen treat the family of Merrimack.
Chuck Mower

Postby Mark Fitzgerald » Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:58 pm

Chuck,

Extremely well phrased.

Imagine for a moment the situation they have placed us in for the sake of their own "pride". We are now officially at war. Our "leaders" have essentially stated...."well, we couldn't force the solution WE wanted on them, so let them beat each other to death while we watch and hope nobody notices how inept and unqualified we are. While we're at it (and just for a little sport) let's make villians out of the people who caused us all this bother in the first place." Unbelievable, but we only have ourselves to blame. We put them there for the time being.

There are at least two BOS members who I am now convinced simply cannot comprehend the math at work in the solid waste situation, and perhaps as many as four. Rather than buckle down and attempt to understand it (aka WORK), they'd rather stay uninformed and throw stones at the people who do understand it while calling them "bullies". I wouldn't expect or accept this kind of immature behavior from my 8 year-old daughter, nevermind a group of 50-somethings.

By the way Chuck, the fact DK and several BOS members are on "the same page" on this issue provides comfort to those of us who hold the opposing view.
Mark Fitzgerald

Postby Debra Huffman » Sat Dec 07, 2002 10:33 am

I have reviewed the tape of Thursday's BOS meeting and have been thinking about what was said. I believe we have two essential issues to discuss, and rather than lump them atogether under this topic of "Abdication" I will start two new threads - one under Solid Waste to discuss how the town should now handle voter education and one under General Town Topics to discuss the BOS as a body.
Debra Huffman

Previous

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling