PAYT is not the way to go

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re: PAYT is not the way to go

Postby RBarnes » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:01 pm

Fitzie wrote:Every single municipal and private enterprise in the waste market base their operation on an assumption in terms of how much waste a HH generates. Its the only option when you think of it. I forget the average number NHDES uses but I do seem to recall that all the studies were within 5% of one another and took into account the recycling rates.

Simply take the yearly tonnage of MSW MMK transported over the last 5 years, divide it by the average yearly HH generation number and you'll know within reason how many HH are using the TS. Forget traffic counts and forget stickers, they're meaningless. Volume / average HH generation = the answer.

Wasn't it around 1.4 or 1.5 tons a year for an average house?

Calculating that way will estimate slightly high because you have people who have curbside that occasionally use the site as well. They'll put off the average.

Slightly off the current topic, this weekend we saw a HUGE number of people going to the station bringing branches from the storm. Because of the huge line of cars they had an attendant at the gate checking for stickers and directing people without branches to go around the huge line. From my house I also noticed a large number of cars without stickers turning around with trash still in their trailers heading away from the station. This leads me to believe illegal dumping is still a fairly large problem.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Fitzie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:22 pm

I located something that should shed at least some light on the issue. In MMK's 2002 Annual Facility report to NHDES on the operation of the landfill the Town reported receiving 23,847 tons of MSW, excluding construction and demo materials. The breakdown was 8,316 Residential MSW and 15,531 Commercial/Industrial MSW. The former number was meant to represent the self-hauled materials and the latter the privately collected materials.

The self-hauled number reported was just a guess. It had to be, they never actually weighed any of that. The commercial number however was derived from actual weights recorded at the scale (at $40/ton MMK was the cheapest option in the state).
Fitzie

Postby bobandgeri » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:31 pm

But the numbers still don't tell us how many households use the TS as their primary source of trash removal. The only way to to get this number is to survery each household or record each sticker for a period of time and backtrack against the address to see how many unique households actually use it.
bobandgeri

Postby RBarnes » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:52 pm

Fitzie wrote:The breakdown was 8,316 Residential MSW and 15,531 Commercial/Industrial MSW.

That would come down to around 2.6 tons per household (assuming roughly 9,000 homes).

Given that all we'd need to calculate the current number of uses is the total tonnage and divide it out by 2.6 tons per house.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
RBarnes

Postby bobandgeri » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:58 pm

Not true - since you have no idea where the commercial trash was coming from. The only number tha may be true is the self hauling number, but since we know that stickers were/are not checked you do not know how much of that is from out of town.
bobandgeri

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:42 am

From my house I also noticed a large number of cars without stickers turning around with trash still in their trailers heading away from the station. This leads me to believe illegal dumping is still a fairly large problem.

Leads me to believe we've got lots of out of towners using our taxpayer funded facility. Glad to hear they're checking for stickers. I was pretty disappointed when I went there and they didn't bother to check even though we had a full truckload.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby RBarnes » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:11 pm

Fitzie wrote:I located something that should shed at least some light on the issue. In MMK's 2002 Annual Facility report to NHDES on the operation of the landfill the Town reported receiving 23,847 tons of MSW, excluding construction and demo materials. The breakdown was 8,316 Residential MSW and 15,531 Commercial/Industrial MSW.

The 2011-2012 town budget shows an estimate of 7500 tons being taken in total. I'm sure the single stream recycling accounts for some of the drop but this implies to me that even as the town is growing fewer people are using the station.

I actually find that number a little surprising because with the increased hauler fees that came with all the Merrimack hauling business seeing increasing in their tipping fees it was assumed that more people, not less, would resort to self hauling to keep their costs low.

We're averaging spending about $160 for every ton of trash taken in at that facility. If the station saw the amount of trash the old landfill took in back in 2002 at that rate we'd see a budget of just under $4 million a year. :shock:
$DO || ! $DO ; try
RBarnes

Postby bobandgeri » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:47 pm

Perhaps it is due to a change in demographics and there are now more houeholds that work Mon - Fri and do not want to give up a chunk of their Saturday free time. Factoring in the cost of gas, if we were to go once a week, it would cost us $14 per month. With our current trash hauling costs at $35 a month, the net is $21 per month, or $5.5 a week to ensure we have Saturday free. Well worth it after a long week at work!
bobandgeri

Postby Fitzie » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:33 pm

RBarnes wrote:
Fitzie wrote:I located something that should shed at least some light on the issue. In MMK's 2002 Annual Facility report to NHDES on the operation of the landfill the Town reported receiving 23,847 tons of MSW, excluding construction and demo materials. The breakdown was 8,316 Residential MSW and 15,531 Commercial/Industrial MSW.

The 2011-2012 town budget shows an estimate of 7500 tons being taken in total. I'm sure the single stream recycling accounts for some of the drop but this implies to me that even as the town is growing fewer people are using the station.

I actually find that number a little surprising because with the increased hauler fees that came with all the Merrimack hauling business seeing increasing in their tipping fees it was assumed that more people, not less, would resort to self hauling to keep their costs low.

We're averaging spending about $160 for every ton of trash taken in at that facility. If the station saw the amount of trash the old landfill took in back in 2002 at that rate we'd see a budget of just under $4 million a year. :shock:

Of the $160/ton, $105 is coming out of the pockets of residents who don't use the facility and without PAYT there's no mechanism avaiable to make sure the ratio doesn't worsen.
Fitzie

Previous

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling