PAYT: A couple of thoughts

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

PAYT: A couple of thoughts

Postby Speeder » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:44 am

I know there's a few threads throughout this board on the proposed PAYT. I've read some and haven't seen either of these issues raised:

1. The TS pays to dump the trash by weight, however the users of the TS will essentially pay by volume (e.g. however much you can fit in a bag). I know this is how it's done everywhere else, but my question is: it this legal? If forced to PAYT, shouldn't everyone pay based on the resulting cost to the town? Why should someone with a trash compactor essentially pay less than someone who doesn't? And I'm not against the prospect of using a compactor if I have to , I'm simply posing the question.

2. It seems some people want to keep the TS available for when they have a couch to get rid of, or a basement to clean out, and they want to be able to dump these things for free. I propose if this town goes to PAYT, then everybody dumping trash at the TS pays. I don't think anybody should get a free ride, just because they only go 1-2 times a year. If you don't have the proper bags, you'll need to go through the scales and pay your way. So many people are complaining that the whole town supports the TS, while only 1/3 use it. If the whole town has the right to dump a few times a year for free, then the 1/3 who PAYT regularly will essentially be suporting them instead. Why separate the "basement cleanout" stuff and make it free? It goes against logic.
Speeder

Re: PAYT: A couple of thoughts

Postby Fitzie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:55 am

Excellent questions, the first I've seen that are true in nature and don't appear to be trying to scare people or lie to them that PAYT is "just another tax".

You are absolutely correct that the "customer" pricing will be based on volume whereas the ultimate cost will be based on weight. Weght-based PAYT systems are too slow and cumbersome. This is fairly easily resolved by simply calculating the "average" weight of a bag containing a "typical" bevy of organic goodies past their prime. Not perfect, no. If you fill the bag up with bricks you're not paying your share. But it is still a hell of a lot better than what you have now where nobody is responsible for their own costs yet everybody is responsible for everyone else's costs.

To your 2nd point....you HAVE to keep a drop off site. Absolute must. Renovations, new windows, demo, hazmat and the like need to be dealt with. The way most town's deal with the cost is they allow a certain amount to be tipped for $0 and then charge a pro-rated tipping fee over the minimum. In Nashua for example I brought like 250 pounds of demo late last year. The first 100 pounds were free and I paid like $20 for the additional 150 pounds. Very easy. You do need a scale though.....didn't MMK just but one when they built the TS?
Fitzie

Postby TonyRichardson » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:03 pm

Speeder wrote:I know there's a few threads throughout this board on the proposed PAYT. I've read some and haven't seen either of these issues raised:

1. The TS pays to dump the trash by weight, however the users of the TS will essentially pay by volume (e.g. however much you can fit in a bag). I know this is how it's done everywhere else, but my question is: it this legal? If forced to PAYT, shouldn't everyone pay based on the resulting cost to the town? Why should someone with a trash compactor essentially pay less than someone who doesn't? And I'm not against the prospect of using a compactor if I have to , I'm simply posing the question.

2. It seems some people want to keep the TS available for when they have a couch to get rid of, or a basement to clean out, and they want to be able to dump these things for free. I propose if this town goes to PAYT, then everybody dumping trash at the TS pays. I don't think anybody should get a free ride, just because they only go 1-2 times a year. If you don't have the proper bags, you'll need to go through the scales and pay your way. So many people are complaining that the whole town supports the TS, while only 1/3 use it. If the whole town has the right to dump a few times a year for free, then the 1/3 who PAYT regularly will essentially be suporting them instead. Why separate the "basement cleanout" stuff and make it free? It goes against logic.

For question 1, I don't think "legality" is even on the horizon here.

You are paying a fee to drop off a bag of trash. Whether they decide to do it by weight or volume is up to the "entity" running the program. What happens to the trash afterward is outside the bounds of your transaction dropping the trash off.

Once it is in their possession they can dispose of it by weight, volume, color, composition...whatever they like.

It has to be that way, because if you retain a legal interest in the trash after you drop it off, they could then be obligated to give you a portion for any of the stuff you drop off that gets recycled for money.

Too big a legal nest of snakes to deal with and still have any kind of functional recycling system. Something that fortunately has been left alone by lawyers and lawsuits.
Liberalism - What happens when emotional reactions are confused with and substituted for facts and reason.
TonyRichardson

Postby TonyRichardson » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:03 pm

Grrr...deleted duplicate post.........lag
Liberalism - What happens when emotional reactions are confused with and substituted for facts and reason.
TonyRichardson

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling