Trash program prompts Tea Party in Merrimack

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Trash program prompts Tea Party in Merrimack

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:03 pm

I guess I won't have to send in my application for a taxpayers group.
Lots of irate Merrimack residents posting there.

Trash program prompts Tea Party in MerrimackPrint
By KIMBERLY HOUGHTON
Union Leader Correspondent
16 hours, 16 minutes ago

MERRIMACK – A Tea Party revolution is emerging in town, with residents and former elected officials saying they are fed up with unnecessary spending and demanding a change.

A former councilor is spearheading Merrimack Tea, a new political organization that he formed this past weekend after town officials adopted a controversial pay-as-you-throw trash program.

"I'm going to mobilize the masses in Merrimack," said Michael Malzone, the founder of Merrimack Tea. "We are going to take this town back from the liberal elitists."

He is establishing a weekly television show called "Merrimack Tea TV," which will educate residents about newsworthy topics in town. The program is geared toward informing taxpayers about how their money is being spent, he said.

The goal of his group, according to Malzone, is to promote less government and less spending.

continues...
http://unionleader.com/article.aspx?hea ... 79175c1e8f
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios
 
Posts: 9306
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:36 pm
Location: Jessica Drive Merrimack

Re: Trash program prompts Tea Party in Merrimack

Postby lynn » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:29 pm

are you looking at the school as well as the town?
lynn
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:00 pm

Re: Trash program prompts Tea Party in Merrimack

Postby Brian McCarthy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:37 pm

I've been told that its illogical to look at the school for cuts. Its not logical to look at a big piece of a pie if your goal is to make the biggest impact...at least that is what I was told earlier this week. I'm looking my my math teachers to tell them they were all wrong.

lynn wrote:are you looking at the school as well as the town?
Brian McCarthy
 
Posts: 1347
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:12 am
Location: Merrimack, NH

Re: Trash program prompts Tea Party in Merrimack

Postby Dennis King » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:22 pm

Brian McCarthy wrote:I've been told that its illogical to look at the school for cuts. Its not logical to look at a big piece of a pie if your goal is to make the biggest impact...at least that is what I was told earlier this week. I'm looking my my math teachers to tell them they were all wrong.

lynn wrote:are you looking at the school as well as the town?


well I sure hope so since it is 72% of our tax burden. Imagine, 65,000,000.00 ! That is a lot of money from the tax payers, it comes out to $15,000+ per pupil or $10,000.00 in the lower grades and $20,000.00 in High school. The charter school provides a high school education for $5,500 and Trinity does it for $8,700. If we closed the school tomorrow and just gave the parents the money to go to private schools, we would save millions!
User avatar
Dennis King
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:37 am

Re: Trash program prompts Tea Party in Merrimack

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:48 pm

Brian and Lynn

I am going to keep a close watch on the progress of this new group. If their main goals are to fight PayT and the town budget it won't have much of an impact on our taxes. I was more concerned with the $5,000+ per year I pay just for schools. It also appears to be more political than I was planning.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios
 
Posts: 9306
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:36 pm
Location: Jessica Drive Merrimack

Re: Trash program prompts Tea Party in Merrimack

Postby Brian McCarthy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:34 am

UL comments are no longer visible? Page says there are 65 of them but they are not visible.
... nevermind - not visible from FF this morning - IE sees them ...
Brian McCarthy
 
Posts: 1347
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:12 am
Location: Merrimack, NH

Re: Trash program prompts Tea Party in Merrimack

Postby RD » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:41 am


"I'm going to mobilize the masses in Merrimack," said Michael Malzone, the founder of Merrimack Tea. "We are going to take this town back from the liberal elitists."



When he says "liberal elitists," what he really means is most normal people with average and above average intelligence. He's probably not going to get very far by insulting his neighbors like that.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD
 
Posts: 5689
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:49 pm

Re: Trash program prompts Tea Party in Merrimack

Postby TonyRichardson » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:53 am

RD wrote:

"I'm going to mobilize the masses in Merrimack," said Michael Malzone, the founder of Merrimack Tea. "We are going to take this town back from the liberal elitists."



When he says "liberal elitists," what he really means is most normal people with average and above average intelligence. He's probably not going to get very far by insulting his neighbors like that.


Good job RD, the perfect "liberal elitist" reply.
Liberalism - What happens when emotional reactions are confused with and substituted for facts and reason.
TonyRichardson
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Trash program prompts Tea Party in Merrimack

Postby RBarnes » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:53 am

Jeannine while this group claims to be a "tea party" movement it has so far proven itself quite the contrary to what I believe the tea movement to be.

I like Mike M. and do support him so I hope I'm wrong but so far his approach is either you follow his way or your banned.

I disagree with his views on PAYT and I expressed my opinion. I explained why I believe my approach of placing the burden on the users and not forcing the rest of town to pay a "welfare" system of supporting other people's trash bill is the correct way to go.
Because of that he kicked me out of the group.

Now I've been involved with the NH tea party since 2007 (that's even before the national tea party movements started if your keep track). I participate with several pro liberty and limited government groups throughout the state. I've written a pro liberty political column for 2+ years now. And I was very supportive of Merrimack Cares when they started up and pushed for reigning in Merrimack's spending.

If I'm not a "friend" of the tea movement then there are very few people in this town who are so if Mike is kicking people like me off the site then clearly he doesn't want an open movement, he wants a dictatorship with followers who will only agree with his views and not think for themselves.

Open debate, even when someone disagrees with you, either forms better ideas in the long run or strengthens your stance if you can successfully defend it when it is questioned. To prevent debate and shut down all opposition only shows your own argument to be weak and undefended.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
User avatar
RBarnes
 
Posts: 6852
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:21 pm
Location: Merrimack

Re: Trash program prompts Tea Party in Merrimack

Postby RD » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:56 am

RBarnes wrote:
I disagree with his views on PAYT and I expressed my opinion. I explained why I believe my approach of placing the burden on the users and not forcing the rest of town to pay a "welfare" system of supporting other people's trash bill is the correct way to go.
Because of that he kicked me out of the group.



You liberal elitist! :D
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD
 
Posts: 5689
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:49 pm

Re: Trash program prompts Tea Party in Merrimack

Postby Tim Tenhave » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:55 am

So Mike Malzone is quoted in the UL article as saying “Obviously, I am a taxpayer here in town, and our taxes are exorbitant.” Dave McCray is quoted as saying “This spending is becoming a theme in our Town.”

Let’s take a minute and look at the record of Dave and Mike.

- In 2006, the town tax rate was $2.82 per thousand (Dave was on the BOS for that budget cycle).

- In 2007, the town tax rate was $3.54 per thousand (Dave and Mike were on the TC for that budget cycle and voted to approve that budget 1/25/2007).

- In 2008, the town tax rate was $4.23 per thousand (Dave and Mike were on the TC for that budget cycle and voted to approve that budget 2/4/2008).

- In 2009, the town tax rate was $4.23 per thousand (Mike was on the TC for that budget cycle).

- In 2010, the town tax rate was $4.34 per thousand (neither Mike or Dave were on the TC for that budget cycle)

The tax rate increases for those years were:

- 2007: $.72 increase
- 2008: $.69 increase
- 2009: 0 increase/decrease
- 2010: $.12 increase
- 2011: $.12 decrease or less to $.06 if voters approve all warrant articles.

If you examine the tax increases for these years and previous years, you will see that either or both Dave and Mike were serving when the highest increases for tax rates were realized in the past 8 years (from when Dave was first elected to when both served and up to now).

2001 5.07
2002 4.34
2003 5.04
2004 5.26
2005 5.11
2006 2.82
2007 3.54
2008 4.23
2009 4.23
2010 4.34


Maybe they need to take a fresh look at the facts…

Tim
Tim Tenhave
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:18 pm

Re: Trash program prompts Tea Party in Merrimack

Postby Tim Tenhave » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:10 am

Their stance on PAYT is really a double standard.

They make no objection when they PAYF.

Mike everyday pays a user fee to flush his trash down the toilet. But, he then has a big objection when he has is being asked to pay to throw his trash over the cement wall at the transfer station.

It is time for equity in Merrimack. Let’s treat all trash the same. If you want to dispose of it, you will need to pay to do it. If you don’t want to pay, either don’t generate it or find someone else to pay for it (not me in my taxes, keep your hands out of my pocket).

Until they can explain why they don’t also object to PAYF, there is nothing to talk about…

Tim
Tim Tenhave
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:18 pm

Re: Trash program prompts Tea Party in Merrimack

Postby tastyratz » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:20 am

Using the tax rate to compare is difficult because of the wild swings in the real estate market as of recently. My home was worth 50% more during the peak of the bubble, so tax per thousand to reach the same operational budget would be significantly different.

I might say for sake of this argument population vs fiscal budget would be more appropriate, wouldn't you?
tastyratz
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: Trash program prompts Tea Party in Merrimack

Postby Tim Tenhave » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:27 am

The tax rate argument holds for at least since 2006. I say that because there has not been a town wide re-evaluation in these recent years. So if you have owned the same home all these years, you have been paying your proportionate share of the tax burden and that means the tax rate is an appropriate measure.

Population has an issue because we tax based on property, not based on how many people live in town or how many live on any particular property.
Tim Tenhave
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:18 pm

Re: Trash program prompts Tea Party in Merrimack

Postby Tim Tenhave » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:39 am

Another tea party...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Merrimack ... 8605878254

At least everyone can post here...as long as they don't attack people or use foul language.
Tim Tenhave
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:18 pm

Next

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron