Beyond bags, how will PAYT work?

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Beyond bags, how will PAYT work?

Postby andysinnh » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:28 am

Let's say that starting 1-July we find PAYT is in place for Merrimack. Those who don't choose to use curbside service providers will buy the bags and utilize them if they go to the TS. And I'd imagine that the sale of trash compactors may rise dramatically for Merrimack residents (do they even make those any more?). And hopefully recycling will increase.

But what about the bigger stuff? Let's say someone is cleaning all of the junk out of their basement for spring cleaning? Or has a couch or mattress they need to dispose of? Or what about the building materials that get dumped into the building (since the outdoor area is always blocked off)? Will those items be paid for by going thru the scales and paying a per-ton (or something different) rate?

Everyone always gets hung up on the weekly trash logistics - but many of us in town use the TS for bigger stuff that can't be recycled. Impacts to that aspect would be important to understand.

thanks - andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Re: Beyond bags, how will PAYT work?

Postby Brian McCarthy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:01 am

These items were on my 'hot list' when this first came up two years ago. I'm one to rip out a wall instead of repainting it ;-)

Mattresses, couches would be as they are today. Bring them in and over to the building. Large amounts of construction would have to pass across the scale and the first 1000 pounds for residents is free. If they bring in 1001 pounds on one trip, the they pay the going tipping fee. Putting that stuff into trash barrels would be acceptable I assume and I would think that if you had 'non-construction' items mixed in, well, who knows, a stern warning for first offense? Its going to be a slower process than it is now because you can't just drive through dump and leave, you''ll have to drive up to the scale, get weighed, dump, and come back to get your bill. Before you go there, driving off without coming back, well we've got you plate and we know where you live.

Logistics play in for the person who has paid for bags, has recycling, and construction stuff - and that total weight put them over the 1000 lbs. If you believe you are even close to that weight with everything, you, in my opinion would make three trips through.. One to drop off recycling, then your paid bags, then over to get weighed, then dump that, the back to get weighed and get you 'free pass' or a bill if you were over 1000.

Its not a perfect world but has been mentioned before, these items have been before us on multiple occasions in the past, what has not happened is it has not been implemented.
Brian McCarthy

Re: Beyond bags, how will PAYT work?

Postby Fitzie » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:47 am

Brian McCarthy wrote:These items were on my 'hot list' when this first came up two years ago. I'm one to rip out a wall instead of repainting it ;-)

Mattresses, couches would be as they are today. Bring them in and over to the building. Large amounts of construction would have to pass across the scale and the first 1000 pounds for residents is free. If they bring in 1001 pounds on one trip, the they pay the going tipping fee. Putting that stuff into trash barrels would be acceptable I assume and I would think that if you had 'non-construction' items mixed in, well, who knows, a stern warning for first offense? Its going to be a slower process than it is now because you can't just drive through dump and leave, you''ll have to drive up to the scale, get weighed, dump, and come back to get your bill. Before you go there, driving off without coming back, well we've got you plate and we know where you live.

Logistics play in for the person who has paid for bags, has recycling, and construction stuff - and that total weight put them over the 1000 lbs. If you believe you are even close to that weight with everything, you, in my opinion would make three trips through.. One to drop off recycling, then your paid bags, then over to get weighed, then dump that, the back to get weighed and get you 'free pass' or a bill if you were over 1000.

Its not a perfect world but has been mentioned before, these items have been before us on multiple occasions in the past, what has not happened is it has not been implemented.

I think in Nashua we get the 1st 500 lbs free and then a pro-rated charge per pound based on the tipping fee with a $10 minimum.
Fitzie

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling