What is the difference?

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re: What is the difference?

Postby Fitzie » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:34 pm

deleted duplicate
Fitzie

Postby Dennis King » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:12 pm

Ray, I explained the "tree hugger" moniker, scroll back and see what I said. It is all about the campaign to demonize people as an excuse to FORCE them to do what you want. Sorry man but I do not believe in the tyranny of the "nanny state".

What Tim did is huge, never been done. Dan said it best, we have to FORCE you, Tim used a democratic procedure as a pretext to avoid the democratic process. Hence the confusion of the PAYT warrant article as for the first time in over 250 years, we now have an article going to the voters and the town government has already adopted PAYT and it is now part of the budget.

This is the source of my anger, a bait and switch that perverts our democracy. People have gotten so caught up with the merits of PAYT (yet more trash talk from the "usual suspects") that they did not even notice the constitutional perversion that has taken place.

Tim crossed the line on Thursday by putting a warrant article to the board and then encouraging them to nullify the democratic process and to IMPOSE their will on the town. Worst still was the fact that they all agreed the people would not vote for this, hence their decision to FORCE us to do it "for our own good".

All the years of misinformation (the TS self haulers get it for "free", 2/3 of the town pay for the other 1/3, etc) have finally borne fruit. I debunked these assertions and was told by Tim if I do not like it, leave town. Now that is a great way of debating the merits of my argument. He then came back with his business owner argument, not even close but if you take away the commercial property , maybe you are close to 1/2 o 1/2 but of course since the average home is much more than the condo and yes apartment owners pay no taxes but at $895/month for rent, that itself is close to what some homeowners pay just for taxes.

I do hope others will see the TC's action for what it was and protest as best you can, now you will need ONE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY original signatures so best get out there in the cold and work on it. Funny, Tim only needed 25 to take away the liberty for us all.
Dennis King

Postby andysinnh » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:17 pm

fyi - anything that has a refrigerant compressor is not free to bring to the TS. Refrigerators, A/C's, freezers have a disposal fee. Same with electronic equipment. Only white goods without closed refrigerant systems are free. And you're still limited to the 1000 lb free for bulk dropoff...
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby RayWhipple » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:23 pm

Dennis King wrote:Ray, I explained the "tree hugger" moniker, scroll back and see what I said. It is all about the campaign to demonize people as an excuse to FORCE them to do what you want. Sorry man but I do not believe in the tyranny of the "nanny state".

What Tim did is huge, never been done. Dan said it best, we have to FORCE you, Tim used a democratic procedure as a pretext to avoid the democratic process. Hence the confusion of the PAYT warrant article as for the first time in over 250 years, we now have an article going to the voters and the town government has already adopted PAYT and it is now part of the budget.

This is the source of my anger, a bait and switch that perverts our democracy. People have gotten so caught up with the merits of PAYT (yet more trash talk from the "usual suspects") that they did not even notice the constitutional perversion that has taken place.

Tim crossed the line on Thursday by putting a warrant article to the board and then encouraging them to nullify the democratic process and to IMPOSE their will on the town. Worst still was the fact that they all agreed the people would not vote for this, hence their decision to FORCE us to do it "for our own good".

All the years of misinformation (the TS self haulers get it for "free", 2/3 of the town pay for the other 1/3, etc) have finally borne fruit. I debunked these assertions and was told by Tim if I do not like it, leave town. Now that is a great way of debating the merits of my argument. He then came back with his business owner argument, not even close but if you take away the commercial property , maybe you are close to 1/2 o 1/2 but of course since the average home is much more than the condo and yes apartment owners pay no taxes but at $895/month for rent, that itself is close to what some homeowners pay just for taxes.

I do hope others will see the TC's action for what it was and protest as best you can, now you will need ONE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY original signatures so best get out there in the cold and work on it. Funny, Tim only needed 25 to take away the liberty for us all.

You complain about the process of getting 1250 signatures and got no where. Have you ever wonder why? Maybe the people did not agree with you or maybe it is the way you have presented yourself here in town when you argue your point that turns people off and not want any part of what your trying to do. but then again we are the ones that are wrong, your not..right?
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves. " ~President Ronald Reagan.

http://www.newt.org/
RayWhipple

Postby Dennis King » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:36 pm

Ray, you miss the point, the reason 1,250 was placed there by the members of the charter commission was to make it so high, that most people would not bother to challenge them.

Once again you focus on the messenger and not the message. You may be fine with a TC that in their own words "Forces" us to do their will but to me, even if it is "for our own good", it is tyranny. I had no problem with Tim's petition to the voters, but a real problem when he used this part of our democratic process to nullify our right to vote on it at DS.

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves. " ~President Ronald Reagan.
Did you even read this Ray, the TC is trying to "protect us from ourselves", how is it you can not see that
Dennis King

Postby RayWhipple » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:46 pm

Dennis King wrote:Ray, you miss the point, the reason 1,250 was placed there by the members of the charter commission was to make it so high, that most people would not bother to challenge them.

Once again you focus on the messenger and not the message. You may be fine with a TC that in their own words "Forces" us to do their will but to me, even if it is "for our own good", it is tyranny. I had no problem with Tim's petition to the voters, but a real problem when he used this part of our democratic process to nullify our right to vote on it at DS.

Seems to me that the 2 warrant articles to restore the police and fire cuts got what they needed. you are missing my point. You have not been successful because of your attitude and the way a lot of people view you in town. I have no issue with needing 1250 signatures. If its the "will of the people" and a good idea then people will sign. You need things Dennis, an idea people agree with and "tact". You could have the best idea in the world but if your not viewed in the best of light in town, people will not want you approaching them asking for signatures.

RayWhipple

Postby Dennis King » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:56 pm

Again all about the messenger and not the message, I give up!
Dennis King

Postby RBarnes » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:00 pm

Dennis King wrote:That is just ridiculous, commercial businesses benefit from all the infrastructure we taxpayers pay for and what about 72% of the tax burden, last I checked none of them are sending kids to our schools.

The school is a separate part of your tax bill and should not be confused with the costs from the town.

As for the town portion of the tax bill last time I saw the figures commercial and industry paid 51% to homeowners paying 49%.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby RayWhipple » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:12 pm

So Dennis you want everything to go to voters then? What is the need to TC of a BOS then? If not then what should go before the voters? These people are elected to run the town. If they had to put everything before the voters things in the town would slow to a crawl. Again we vote in the TC members to run the town. I understand there is going to be some people that do not agree with how it happen and I understand. But what i dont agree with is that the world will come to an end and PC police will be knocking on out doors. You told me in another thread that all is was doing was using peoples fears of doom and gloom if the police and fire cuts go through. What do you think you are doing?

RayWhipple

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:35 pm

Rick

The school is a separate part of your tax bill and should not be confused with the costs from the town.

As for the town portion of the tax bill last time I saw the figures commercial and industry paid 51% to homeowners paying 49%.

See - this is the part that irks me over and over again. We are one town and we received one tax bill. I don't understand why people see it this way. Can I choose to pay only the town part?

The point Dennis is making is that commercial properties don't use the schools.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby RBarnes » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:43 pm

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Rick

See - this is the part that irks me over and over again. We are one town and we received one tax bill. I don't understand why people see it this way. Can I choose to pay only the town part?

The point Dennis is making is that commercial properties don't use the schools.

And the point I was making was that it is a separate body of government. Should we hold out town councilors responsible for things Lynch does in Concord or Obama does in Washington? They are each different bodies of government and each should be held responsible for their own doing.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:44 pm

Rick

I didn't see it the way you intended. I believe both town and school boards should at least send an email to each other before budget season and let them know what their plans are. Laying off? Any new expenditures? Percent of increase in health insurance? Something to hint at what we are all going to be facing.

Yes - each layer of government is responsible for its own spending, but can't we at least get a concensus from two boards in a town of 27,000?
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Previous

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling