PAYT + TS ......not sure about that

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

PAYT + TS ......not sure about that

Postby Fitzie » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:48 pm

Yes, its THAT Fitzie. Its been what.....6 years now? How time flies when not embroiled in arguments over waste. I tried to respond on another thread regarding PAYT but for some reason it wouldn't post.....is Dennis a moderator by any chance? :D

The PAYT arguments have been made many times. The idea is a good one, but only in a situation where recycling is made convenient. For a super-majority of MMK's residents using private CS this is not the case with the TS. My belief is this would only further reduce the volume of waste arriving at the TS and by extension, further reduce its already meager efficiency levels in terms of serving the resident's needs. I admit however I may be too far removed from the facts and my exprience with Tom Mahon was such that I trust he knows what he's talking about.

The solution for MMK has always been a single contract for the collection of its waste and recycling. Its the best economic and logistical solution. At the moment the system in place can be best described as a taxpayer-funded welfare state benefiting a small number of private businesses and no more than 30% of the residents.

I hazard to guess that the long-argued benefits of having a TS have not materialized. Can anyone tell me:

1. What % of the residential waste in being handled through the TS?
2. Same as above for commercial waste?
3. Have any bundling opportunities presented themselves? (This was the funniest of Shankle's many contentions in the effort to cloud the admins ineptitude in the lead up to the landfill closure).

Note to Dennis......a poor decision does not age like a fine wine. MMK will ultimately have municipal pickup. Not because anyone says so....because it is clearly the best solution to the handling of the town's waste. The viability of the TS will keep coming up because it does not serve the financial or service interests of a majority of the town's residences. Period.
Fitzie

Re: PAYT + TS ......not sure about that

Postby RBarnes » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:04 am

Fitzie wrote:Yes, its THAT Fitzie. Its been what.....6 years now?

Welcome back!! We missed ya.

Fitzie wrote:1. What % of the residential waste in being handled through the TS?
2. Same as above for commercial waste?
3. Have any bundling opportunities presented themselves? (This was the funniest of Shankle's many contentions in the effort to cloud the admins ineptitude in the lead up to the landfill closure).

1) Last I saw was about 30%
2) None. Not a single commercial hauler uses the station as they have since either gone out of business, sold their businesses or found it cheaper to bring trash directly out of Merrimack rather then paying the higher costs of using a middleman station.
3) Don't know the answer to that one, maybe someone else does.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Re: PAYT + TS ......not sure about that

Postby Fitzie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:25 am

Hello Rick. With respect to the question regarding Commercial Waste I was more interested in understanding if any business waste is making its way to Rochester via the TS. I already figured none of the private haulers used it.....since all but the smallest (and therefore most at risk) actually said they wouldn't BEFORE the TS was built once they learned what the tipping fees would be. Its not surprising even the small ones don't use it....they only needed its existence (and by default muni-CS's non-existence) in order that the taxpayers continue to fund the market.

The last question was facetious......there was never a prayer of bundling the small volumes collected at the TS. The only mechanism available to financially recognize the benefits of the entire town's volume is.......actually collecting the entire town's volume. Then you'd have something to work with.
Fitzie

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling