PAYT is Back

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re: PAYT is Back

Postby MMK » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:03 am

Dennis King wrote:
Wayne wrote:So, Dennis, how about privatized curbside pickup?


Curbside pick up is already privatized Wayne, I would like us to privatize the TS, we do not need more union pensions on our hands. The unions have had their way for 30 years, time for a change



How quickly we forget. . . . When we first built and staffed the TS, it WAS being outsourced. After looking at the costs, the town opted to bump the contractor and haul trash in house.

Do you actually look at numbers before you spout off about your privatization rhetoric?
MMK
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:32 pm

Re: PAYT is Back

Postby Brian McCarthy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:15 am

The transfer of the waste was outsourced, not the operation of the station.

MMK wrote:
Dennis King wrote:
Wayne wrote:So, Dennis, how about privatized curbside pickup?


Curbside pick up is already privatized Wayne, I would like us to privatize the TS, we do not need more union pensions on our hands. The unions have had their way for 30 years, time for a change



How quickly we forget. . . . When we first built and staffed the TS, it WAS being outsourced. After looking at the costs, the town opted to bump the contractor and haul trash in house.

Do you actually look at numbers before you spout off about your privatization rhetoric?
Brian McCarthy
 
Posts: 1347
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:12 am
Location: Merrimack, NH

Re: PAYT is Back

Postby lynn » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:26 am

If you do not believe that the TC or SB is doing the "right thing", then you have the option of putting forward a
warrant article to see if enough voters in town agree with your view of "right". Insulting and condescending comments
only result in making any valid points you are trying to make get lost. And putting forth statements of fact before you check
the details or assuming others did not check their facts before making a decision again only serves to make any valid points you make
suspect

for instance
"30 seconds is all it took to take fed money" how do you know Dan or others did not do the research and talk with others before making
the decision - or did you just assume that they did not
or "wonder if they even took the time to ask Mr. Watson" you imply that they did not - why would you assume that? What if Mr Watson
suggested they look into the grant.

These are the types of comments that make people discount what you say. There may be some validity to the privatization issue
but it gets lost when you get into a rant.
lynn
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:00 pm

Re: PAYT is Back

Postby Dennis King » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:59 am

Lynn, I just watched the TC meeting again and this time saw the public input before they had their "debate". Mr. Watson's son came up and requested the grant not be accepted. The reason he gave was the fact that Wasserman Park is now over run by outsiders from Mass (hence the whole bilingual issue that came up). The TC appeared hostile to this man, especially David who appears to have this attitude of "enough discussion, let me rule now!". The next man who came up also had a valid point, he noted that other potential donors are looking to see how the town addresses the wishes of the donor, the attitude of this council was clear, they basically said, you give the gift to the town, now you have no say, we own it now. Really? Boy, bet that will attract more donations.
User avatar
Dennis King
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:37 am

Re: PAYT is Back

Postby chancellor » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:02 am

Dennis, was your home really shot at? If it was over these types of issues, I would say our town troubles run deeper than the trash debate, PAYT etc. In an earlier post I wrote that fear may prevent changes from taking place - I meant fear of change, not fear of safety. That's insane.

Was anyone caught for this?

If this is the kind of thing that can happen, it's not a wonder people don't voice their opinions, come to meetings, volunteer. If real change can't happen because an old guard prevents it, a more powerful force will emerge. It may take time, but it always will.
chancellor
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: PAYT is Back

Postby Dennis King » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:39 am

chancellor wrote:Dennis, was your home really shot at? If it was over these types of issues, I would say our town troubles run deeper than the trash debate, PAYT etc. In an earlier post I wrote that fear may prevent changes from taking place - I meant fear of change, not fear of safety. That's insane.

Was anyone caught for this?

If this is the kind of thing that can happen, it's not a wonder people don't voice their opinions, come to meetings, volunteer. If real change can't happen because an old guard prevents it, a more powerful force will emerge. It may take time, but it always will.


No, they never caught the person although I did have my suspicions. My children were younger then and it certainly affected them.

This "debate" tore the town apart last time and I do not think the current TC "gets it". We spent millions to buy the license and build the facility, the thought of throwing this money away drives me crazy. I also do not agree with Tom M when he asserts that there are no trash problems in other towns. He likes town curbside AND PAYT bags, it is all about control. He says that the town does not pick up their trash unless they have their purple bags. I recall the experience of the suburbs of Boston who had to eliminate PAYT as they were inundated with trash from neighboring communities. For all you curbsiders out there, you really think you are sticking it to us self haulers? Wait to Tom gets his town wide curbside and you find yourself having to buy those little purple bags. Of course every time the unions pensions cost the state more, we towns will have to make up the difference. Be careful for what you think you want, the old don't tax me, tax the man behind the tree, well it the TC gets its way, you will be there too. After all, it is a new revenue stream, they love those, bet the town manager is enjoying the cable fees he took to redecorate his office, nothing like tacking money for one use and moving it to another, albeit far more important use, gotta love that new carpet smell, God forbid the hard working taxpayers got some of their money back. In these hard times, I continue to be amazed at how tone deaf this TC is. The answer for the TS is simple, fire all the town workers and replace with a contracted firm, the same for building and grounds maintenance for the town and school. That alone would save us at least the shortfall and probably more.

Single stream recycling has just started and if Tom M is right, it has improved by 50% and should go to 75%, so it that is right, the so called $800,000 in saving from last years numbers would not be $400,000 with a difference of $200,000 once people fully use single stream. So we are all going to go to all this hassle for $200K, really, Nope, the number they need is $800,000 now and who know what in the future, the real reason is to create an new revenue stream so they can tax and tax.

the answer: PRIVATIZE
User avatar
Dennis King
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:37 am

Re: PAYT is Back

Postby andysinnh » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:32 pm

Dennis/Chancellor - my earlier point was simple - trying to use someone's stance on schools to support a position on PAYT/TS issues is just diluting your point of view, and showing you're not serious about coming up with options for the issue at hand. If you SERIOUSLY want to institute change, pick ONE thing and give GOOD alternatives and come up with a COMPELLING case. If you're SERIOUS about this (rather than just whining that the TC isn't listening), you could garner a lot of support if you really try to offer up a solution, and include the privatization factor if you so choose. But sitting here throwing stones at school priviatization is something that I know for me personally shows you're not really serious about the PAYT issue, since the school situation is MUCH MORE COMPLEX, and I know that I will be in the middle of any discussions about privatization at the school level if it's seriously discussed.

Keep your eye on a single ball if you want to institute the type of change you're talking about. And utilize the policies/procedures in place (as Lynn has pointed out) to institute the change you're looking for.

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:04 am
Location: Woodward Rd

Re: PAYT is Back

Postby Debra Huffman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:58 am

chancellor wrote:If this is the kind of thing that can happen, it's not a wonder people don't voice their opinions, come to meetings, volunteer. If real change can't happen because an old guard prevents it, a more powerful force will emerge. It may take time, but it always will.

Chancellor:
In the case of the TS, it was the "old guard" that prevailed. The new voices, those who wanted change, did not win. Dennis and his friends succeeded in protecting the union jobs in the town-run TS.

In the case of people being attacked by bullies, recall that Mark Fitzgerald (pro-curbside) had his mailbox invaded and his personal mail, bills, etc., strewn around town. Again, the "new voice" was attacked by someone supporting the "old guard."

So please, think a bit about what you mean by "old guard."

As for bullies in general, yes, bullies exist. I once had a threatening letter placed in my mailbox by someone who disagreed with my position on an HHNP matter. It made my resolve stronger. We don't let bullies win in Merrimack.
Debra Huffman
 
Posts: 1990
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:41 am

Re: PAYT is Back

Postby chancellor » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:04 am

[quote="Debra Huffman"][quote="chancellor"] So please, think a bit about what you mean by "old guard."

You are right debra. I used "old guard" a little loosely. What meant is that change appears to be needed or taxes/fees will continue to increase; and those who oppose change for the sake of protecting outdated ideas need to be ousted.

I watched a bit of the recent TC meeting online. It was interesting and a little disturbing. At one point Jackie Flood mentioned something about Merrimack not producing a product, something I think she was just clarifying to preface her real comment...... On the other side of the table, a man I do not know actually began to argue that Merrimack does indeed have a product. Something about pushing snow was his idea of a product... how petty and egotistical to make that an issue. Who was that man?

My question (if it can be answered) is whether or not TC members really and truly have the town's best interest at heart. It seems questionable when I see some of what goes on during meetings.
chancellor
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: PAYT is Back

Postby lynn » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:41 am

opposite Jackie are three men
from her perspective on her left is Dave Yakaboff, middle is Dan Dwyer, and on the
right between Dan and the Chairman Tom Koenig is another Tom, Mahon
lynn
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:00 pm

Re: PAYT is Back

Postby Debra Huffman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:25 am

chancellor wrote:My question (if it can be answered) is whether or not TC members really and truly have the town's best interest at heart. It seems questionable when I see some of what goes on during meetings.

Those 7 people were not dropped in on a space ship, they are our friends and neighbors. They often disagree with each other, and I can't think of anyone who agrees with every decision they make. But in my opinion, an opinion based on many years of dealing with a wide variety of BOS and TC members (some of whom I personally disliked very much), the people who sit on the TC do indeed have the town's best interest, as they understand it, at heart.

It's perfectly healthy to disagree with a TC decision, and I'm the first to be vocal when I do, but I think it's very sad to doubt the honorable intentions of our neighbors who serve on the TC.
Debra Huffman
 
Posts: 1990
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:41 am

Re: PAYT is Back

Postby chancellor » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:28 am

Debra,

First, I am only asking questions... Second, I think you hit on something vital "I think it's very sad to doubt the honorable intentions of our neighbors who serve on the TC."

That, to me, is exactly what the people of Merrimack should be doing. If we don't question government's role in our future, and the players who make decisions for us, we are fools. I am not questioning their honorable intentions whatsoever. You misunderstand. Indeed these people are our neighbors, friends etc. And frankly I think they take a lot of heat and deal with a ton of sh*t I could never deal with. But that said, they are people who can also become jaded, misguided, threatened, and therefore make decisions not based on the town's best interest.

I'm just saying that what I saw on the video seemed to be disagree simply for the sake of disagreeing. That is childish and frankly a very dishonorable trait.
chancellor
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: PAYT is Back

Postby Debra Huffman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:23 pm

Chancellor, your response confuses me.

First you say doubting the honorable intentions of the TC is exactly what the people of Merrimack should be doing or we're fools.
Then you say you are not questioning their honorable intentions whatsoever.

Huh?

Questioning a SPECIFIC decision or a SPECIFIC behavior is quite different from questioning the intentions of the whole TC.

So here's my final comment on this: If you feel that it helps our town to question whether the TC has the town's best interests at heart, then go right ahead and make your comments. In MY opinion, what would help our town is if we could learn to disagree without being disagreeable. If we could stick to facts and argue about specifics, that would be good. Maybe then we'd have a larger pool of TC candidates from which to choose.
Debra Huffman
 
Posts: 1990
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:41 am

Re: PAYT is Back

Postby chancellor » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:51 pm

Debra,

I didn't quite word that correctly, but I think my point is clear enough - questioning our government is our right, privilege and responsibility. I don't think most people get into politics with dishonorable intentions, but people do change.
chancellor
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: PAYT is Back

Postby RBarnes » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:56 pm

...
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
User avatar
RBarnes
 
Posts: 6852
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:21 pm
Location: Merrimack

PreviousNext

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron