Say it isn't so

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Say it isn't so

Postby hdw » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:14 pm

I went to the transfer station today and what did I see? Low and behold there was a TV on the side of the road. Could it have fallen from a vehicle or was it there in protest? That we will never know. Last year I had 1 TV, 2 computer monitors and a computer dumped on my property on Old Blood Rd. Being the concerned citizen that I am, I took them to the transfer station and paid the fee. What will the future bring us when more people decide not to pay these hidden taxes disguised as fees for using the transfer station? How many man hours, fuel etc is it going to cost the town to take that TV to the transfer station. I'm sure more than $5.00. I know of one location just outside of our town where there are approximately 40 tires dumped in a drainage ditch and logging area. Maybe if we impose a Pay As You Drive or Road Usage tax there will less illegal dumping.
hdw

Re: Say it isn't so

Postby andysinnh » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:22 pm

hdw - I've been going to the dump here in town for over 40 years - and for the last 28 as a homeowner bringing my trash to the Lawrence Rd facility. There have ALWAYS been random items left at or near the dump/landfill/whatever from folks who either just don't care, or got to the station either before or after hours. They'd rather just dump and run rather than come back later. TV's have been found along with other appliances, tires and mattresses long before a fee was charged for their disposal. So unless you see a trending of a trail of TV's or A/C's lining Lawrence Rd or Gage Girls Rd (coming from the bedford end), I wouldn't call this a relationship to the fee for dumping....
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Dennis King » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:09 pm

Andy, I can not say when it started but over the past 25 years, I have noticed more trash on the roads in general. Maybe this is because more people move in and they do not appreciate the special place we have here but I do know it is worse now. I have always felt that if we bring PAYT, this trickle will be a flood. It happened in Boston so why not here. I think that is the main concern, besides, single stream is working big, make it easy to throw away your trash,,, hmmm, where did I hear that? :wink:
Dennis King

Postby RBarnes » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:39 pm

hdw wrote:Low and behold there was a TV on the side of the road. Could it have fallen from a vehicle or was it there in protest?

Personally I doubt it was in protest, if it was I would suspect it would have been square in the middle of my yard.

I've seen people have entire bags of trash fall from their cars and they continue on oblivious. And others coming by later will drive over the trash spreading it from one end of the road to the other. Of course what do you think that does to your taxes when the DPW employees have to walk the road picking up all the trash people don't have tied down properly?

In my opinion, when trash falls out like this the town should look to see if there is anything identifiable in it and fine them for illegal dumping. Why stick taxpayers with the bill.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Shannon Barnes » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:14 pm

And if they were purposely doing it we would have heard "Freebird" blasting from the car stereo as they drove down the road.
"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me"--Stuart Smalley (Saturday Night Live)
Shannon Barnes

Postby andysinnh » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:24 pm

I agree on people not giving a hoot about when trash falls off their vehicles on the way to the TS. Being on another popular road to the TS (Woodward Rd) - my normal routine is to patrol the edges of the yard once a week to see what has been donated by those who don't take into account airflow over an open pickup truck or trailer.

I did pick up an extra trash can one day from someone heading back home from the dump - so it can be profitable! :lol:

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby hdw » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:32 pm

I think you guys are correct. The wind probably blew the tv out of the vehicle and and placed it perfectly on the side of the road without shattering it into pieces. Makes sense to me. It's a shame the wind wasn't a bit stronger. Another 200 yards and it would of made it to the transfer station.
hdw

Postby mort » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:05 pm

I think Arlo Guthrie did it.
mort

Postby lynn » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:45 am

Lynyrd Skynyrd
lynn

Postby M@ » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:04 pm

And we was fined $50 and had to pick up the garbage in the snow, but thats not what I came to tell you about.

M@
M@

Postby Debra Huffman » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:12 pm

8)
Debra Huffman

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling