Little Boy Hit By Transfer Station Traffic

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re: Little Boy Hit By Transfer Station Traffic

Postby RBarnes » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:26 am

TonyRichardson wrote:However the likely quick fix for this would be to close the bike pit.
A far faster and easier solution that doing something about the traffic and road conditions.

Tony, I agree with you and I do hope if nothing else the council discusses this soon. This Thursday the meeting is listed as non public so I can't go and speak out about this but I would hope they at least discuss options in private then reach out to those of us living on the road.

I don't think closing the bike pit would work as a long term solution though. The trails are there and kids know about them. You can put a big sign up saying closed but if there are nice trails going through the woods kids will go to them even if there are signs saying they shouldn't. It's what kids do.

Our town created a dangerous situation by first putting the transfer station in a residential location with roads not suited to handle it and they added to the danger putting the bike pit directly next door to it. As I see it we have a couple long term options...

1) Switch to curbside
2) If we choose to keep a transfer station move it to a location in town that can handle the commercial traffic without the need to send them down small country roads
3) Use eminent domain to buy up all the homes and property leading to the station and create a 4 lane road capable of handling the traffic which would be a heck of a lot more expensive then relocating the station to an area already able to handle it.

But Tony's right though, that bike pit should be shut down ASAP until a long term solution is determined.

PAYT would also cut down the traffic going to and from the station which would lessen the problem but wouldn't eliminate the fact we have a station located in a poorly suited area.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Dennis King » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:59 am

RBarnes wrote:
TonyRichardson wrote:However the likely quick fix for this would be to close the bike pit.
A far faster and easier solution that doing something about the traffic and road conditions.

Tony, I agree with you and I do hope if nothing else the council discusses this soon. This Thursday the meeting is listed as non public so I can't go and speak out about this but I would hope they at least discuss options in private then reach out to those of us living on the road.

I don't think closing the bike pit would work as a long term solution though. The trails are there and kids know about them. You can put a big sign up saying closed but if there are nice trails going through the woods kids will go to them even if there are signs saying they shouldn't. It's what kids do.

Our town created a dangerous situation by first putting the transfer station in a residential location with roads not suited to handle it and they added to the danger putting the bike pit directly next door to it. As I see it we have a couple long term options...

1) Switch to curbside
2) If we choose to keep a transfer station move it to a location in town that can handle the commercial traffic without the need to send them down small country roads
3) Use eminent domain to buy up all the homes and property leading to the station and create a 4 lane road capable of handling the traffic which would be a heck of a lot more expensive then relocating the station to an area already able to handle it.

But Tony's right though, that bike pit should be shut down ASAP until a long term solution is determined.

PAYT would also cut down the traffic going to and from the station which would lessen the problem but wouldn't eliminate the fact we have a station located in a poorly suited area.

Rick, I find it sad that you are using an accident to once again bring forth your political agenda. Lawrence road also has several land lots for sale but I do not see any buyer there either. I agree the kids will go there even if it was closed and that is why I suggested the right riders do something about it. I seem to recall Roger Blais was involved with this group and we all agree he is honorable. Maybe some training by the parents, some signage, and improvements to the sight line would make this a safer place for our kids (just take down the trees near the entrance). This is the responsible approach to the problem, Rick, you and Shannon are nice people but the fact remains that Lawrence road was always a busy road and will remain so. We have already paid to fix the road as you well know. Shannon, you must know that just because the dump was scheduled to close (after all, it can only grow so high), the solution to trash removal still was not in place. Look at Mark Fitzgerald. He was extremely vocal on this all the way up to a week before the vote when he quietly sold him home and left town. I believe Mark knew how to count. The TS won and that is that. I know this sounds harsh and I know you have 2 young children but those are all factors into the values of the homes we buy. If I was building the town, all developments would be cul de sacs, that way, only the people who live there are using the roads and you have no traffic passing through. My development used to be like that but then they connected the two developments and we have had occasional speeders ever since . I suggest you call Roger and see what his group can do about it, sometimes neighbors can help each other but before you do anything, make sure the TC is aware and has approved the changes. Good luck
Dennis King

Postby RBarnes » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:28 pm

Mark may have known how to count but our selectmen didn't. Don't forget Dennis that just one year before the transfer station was put up with only one single option of location the town also voted not to consider Lawrence Rd for its location. I don't here you bring that up. That fact was conveniently forgotten.

You want the transfer station, fine have it but put it in an industrial location that can handle it not in the middle of a family neighborhood where it can endanger kids and put a bike pit next door to it. That's just stupidity.

And for the record, all the signs for sale are for ONE property. You're going to soon see a couple dozen new homes spring up along the road adding to the danger once a developer is found willing to purchase the land. What do you think that's going to insurance rates here in Merrimack when more and more accidents are reported here?
$DO || ! $DO ; try
RBarnes

Postby mort » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:46 pm

In general, it is disappointing there is no consideration toward non-drivers who use a road to walk their dog, jog, ride a bike, push a stroller. I see it all the time when I do any of those activities. I wholeheartedly think there needs to be a more aggressive effort to curb speeding and drivers who think the roads are theirs and not non-drivers.

How about a bikepath/sidewalk? (Just kidding ... well, not really.)

My heart goes out to the families involved in that awful accident.
mort

Postby RD » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:41 pm

What Mort said! I hated driving to that transfer station, on the rare occasions that I did. It was such a nightmare driving down that small winding road, almost always with jackasses tailgating a few feet behind me because I was trying to drive at a safe speed.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby Michael Pelletier » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:20 pm

When I first moved here I thought that the lack of sidewalks was due to the more rural character of the region, but then I found this unusual piece of law:

231:62 Highway Agents. – Unless the town votes to establish a board of public works commissioners under RSA 38-C to perform the duties of highway agents, at the annual meeting, or less often if a town has so provided pursuant to RSA 231:62-a or 231:62-b, each town shall elect by ballot, or by major vote authorize the selectmen to appoint, one or more highway agents, who, under the direction of the selectmen, shall have charge of the construction, maintenance, and repair of all town highways and bridges and the maintenance and repair of all sidewalks within the town, ...

I was amazed to find that there's an actual statutory financial disincentive for towns to build or allow the construction of sidewalks. People pay to plow and maintain their own driveways, but not their own sidewalks. It's bizarre.
Michael Pelletier

Postby tim dutton » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:23 pm

Town could have improved that corner a couple of years ago. I think they made the corner worse.
tim dutton

Postby mort » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:43 pm

Michael Pelletier wrote:I was amazed to find that there's an actual statutory financial disincentive for towns to build or allow the construction of sidewalks. People pay to plow and maintain their own driveways, but not their own sidewalks. It's bizarre.

I don't know the law in Merrimack but is it required that if a new road is built then a sidewalk must accompany it? I live on a small cul-de-sac built in 1999 and it has a sidewalk.
mort

Postby Tom Mahon » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:39 pm

There is no law or ordinance on the books requiring sidewalks. It is however contained as a desireable feature in the sub-division regs of the Planning Board. Most new subdivisions have sidewalks as a condition of approval for the subdivision. When the town rebuilt Tinker Road, they were part of the original plan. After the required public hearing and the testimony of the residents on Tinker Road, the Town Council removed the sidewalks from the plan.

It is my understanding that Mr. Barnes has been advised to take his concerns to the Highway Safety Committee and I have spoken with the Town Manager regarding their involvement in the issue. It is my understanding that the matter will be discussed at the committee meeting sometime this month. Check the town calendar or contact the PD regarding the date of the meeting. They usually meet during the day. The Town Council rep is Finlay Rothhaus.
Tom Mahon
31 Naticook Road
Tom Mahon

Postby RBarnes » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:03 pm

Tom Mahon wrote:It is my understanding that Mr. Barnes has been advised to take his concerns to the Highway Safety Committee and I have spoken with the Town Manager regarding their involvement in the issue. It is my understanding that the matter will be discussed at the committee meeting sometime this month. Check the town calendar or contact the PD regarding the date of the meeting. They usually meet during the day. The Town Council rep is Finlay Rothhaus.

Yes, my wife has spoken with Chief Mulligan and started the ball rolling with the safety committee.

Its bad enough Chris was put in the hospital because of the bike trails and transfer stations locations the way they are, I personally don't want to see anything worse happen and there are a lot of young children living on the road with potential of many more depending on what happens to the land Bartlet is selling.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
RBarnes

Postby Joel » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:33 pm

Sorry about Chris, I hope he makes a full recovery but I'm sure this unfortunate accident happens on roads without transfer stations on them also. Too bad this accident is getting politicized for NIMBY purposes now.
Joel

Postby Dennis King » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:13 am

Joel wrote:Sorry about Chris, I hope he makes a full recovery but I'm sure this unfortunate accident happens on roads without transfer stations on them also. Too bad this accident is getting politicized for NIMBY purposes now.

I agree, this accident is just that, a terrible accident. It could happen on any busy road in town. I ride Joppa road very often and marvel and the number of joggers and bikers who ride the road (there really is no shoulder and the roads are narrow to begin with). When I have to pass, I am forced to go over the yellow line to avoid them, the road, goes up and down and twists and turns so the driver has to put his life in his hands to avoid these people who in my mind, should not be on such a dangerous road. We have lots of secondary roads that are much safer and that is where joggers and kids with bikes should be. I do not expect we will be able to fix all the town roads so maybe the answer is to have the kids and joggers avoid the main roads, sort of common sense. I do not know who the kid was or how old he was but if he is old enough to ride a dirt bike, he should have the sense to stay off a busy road. I am not blaming him but I also do not feel the driver was at fault. It was an accident and maybe some education and some tree removal for improved line of sight could help.

One thing so sure, this should not become another clarion call from the NIMBYS to get rid of the TS. That ship sailed years ago.
Dennis King

Postby mort » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:02 am

To all drivers: Please consider not taking your life into your own hands by crossing the yellow line. That maneuver is very risky and dangerous to you and any on-coming traffic. I encounter this very dilemma -- choosing to slow down to a crawl until I can safely pass on a straighter stretch. If this means adding 30 seconds to one minute to my drive time, I do it.

I believe everyone is entitled to use the road -- 'sharing' if you will. Often times these joggers and bicyclists live on main roads and they are on their way to secondaries. More times than not if the driver slows down to the posted speed (or the default, unposted speed) of 30 MPH, safety will greatly improve. I, for one, see many drivers fly by me at speeds north of 40 -- to 45 and beyond. The roads simply aren't intended to be driven this way ... regardless of whether there is a non-driver sharing the road.
mort

Postby RBarnes » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:14 am

Joel wrote:Sorry about Chris, I hope he makes a full recovery but I'm sure this unfortunate accident happens on roads without transfer stations on them also.

I'm sure unfortunate accidents do happen all over the place but the facts here are that Chris was coming back from the bike trails and was hit by transfer station traffic.

The transfer station and the bike trails being located where they were is the DIRECT cause of this accident. That is FACT.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
RBarnes

Postby RBarnes » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:23 am

Dennis King wrote:I agree, this accident is just that, a terrible accident. It could happen on any busy road in town. I ride Joppa road very often and marvel and the number of joggers and bikers who ride the road (there really is no shoulder and the roads are narrow to begin with). When I have to pass, I am forced to go over the yellow line to avoid them, the road, goes up and down and twists and turns so the driver has to put his life in his hands to avoid these people who in my mind, should not be on such a dangerous road.

Dennis, wouldn't it then make sense to put industry on town roads that can handle them?

Dennis King wrote:We have lots of secondary roads that are much safer and that is where joggers and kids with bikes should be.

Lawrence Rd IS a secondary road. The transfer station should have been placed off Industrial drive or on DW Highway where the roads can handle the commercial traffic such a station creates... not on a winding back country road which Lawrence Rd is.

That's part of the reason this entire town voted in a prior election in large numbers not to consider Lawrence road when looking for a location for handling trash. That fact is often times forgotten or ignored by supports of the station.

Dennis King wrote:I do not know who the kid was or how old he was but if he is old enough to ride a dirt bike, he should have the sense to stay off a busy road.

A) he was 11 years old
B) it wasn't a dirt bike, it was a peddle bike.

If as you say it makes sense for people of bikes to stay off Lawrence Rd then you must also agree with me that it is stupid for the town to have opened bike trails directly next to the station with the road being the only way to them and to keep them open the same hours as the transfer station. You're statements are proving my point, wouldn't you agree?

Dennis King wrote:I am not blaming him but I also do not feel the driver was at fault. It was an accident and maybe some education and some tree removal for improved line of sight could help.

Dennis, I invite you to park at my house and walk the turn where Chris was hit. Unless you clear cut the Hanson's property (which I think would be a HUGE violation of private land) there is no way to improve the line of site where Chris was hit.

The fact is the street cannot handle the traffic thrust upon it.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
RBarnes

PreviousNext

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling