Single Stream Recycling?

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Single Stream Recycling?

Postby spnorm » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:27 am

And news on when this is supposed to start? Originally I heard July, then August. Now it is September and no sign of anything changing at the recycling center. I tried navigating around our awkward town website, but couldn't find any updates there.
spnorm

Re: Single Stream Recycling?

Postby Brian McCarthy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:39 am

Latest update is one more month.

In general, the delay has been with getting the shed to accept a new trailer configuration.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby spnorm » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:20 am

Thanks for the update, Brian. I thought this sort of change would have information and updates posted regularly at the recycling center. I'm sure there will be a lot of confusion when it starts unless word gets out in advance about how it is going to work (traffic flow maps, materials accepted, where to go with batteries, CFLs, etc.). Some printed handouts prior to the change might be helpful.
spnorm

Postby Brian McCarthy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:22 am

There are plans for hand-outs to be available (a request to distribute them through the school district was an option also). Its coming, not as fast as I thought it was, but its coming.
Brian McCarthy

Postby Stan Heinrich » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:26 am

Any more updates as to when we will have single stream recycling?
Stan Heinrich

Postby Brian McCarthy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:13 pm

hoping a few more weeks - issues with parts needed for the various components have delayed the entire process.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby andysinnh » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:17 pm

Big flashing sign in front of Watson Park today shows single-stream recycling starting on tuesday 11/24. Let the single-disposal process begin! 8)
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby Speeder » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:31 pm

Just thought I'd chime in and say how great the single stream recycling is. I'd guess that the time savings at the TS is probably at least 75%. I am also recycling more, specifically paper/cardboard and ALL plastics, since numbers 1 thru 7 are all accepted. Hopefully the Town is able to make some money off the increased amount of recycled items, and the corresponding reduction in trash.
Speeder

Postby Tim Tenhave » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:00 pm

Tim Tenhave

Postby Joel » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:35 pm

So this should eliminate the need for PAYT?
Joel

Postby Brian McCarthy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:54 pm

Its saving us money (single stream). PAYT, we are told, would still be an additional cost savings.

.. don't jump down my throat :-)

A cost saving to the overall budget. The cost would be shifted to the residents using the transfer station.
Brian McCarthy

Postby Joel » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:23 pm

previous post here deleted because I just keep beating my head against the wall when it comes to this town...
Joel

Postby Brian McCarthy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:10 am

Then send me a PM with the details.
Brian McCarthy

Postby pumbaa » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:04 am

Now that single stream has been in place for some time, I'm curious as to what effect people are seeing on their trash volume. I thought we were doing a good job at recycling prior to this and would not see a huge difference, but we have gone from typically 2, sometimes 3 trash bags/week, and 1 modest sized recycling bin, to 1 bag/week (very occassionally 2) and one very large recycling bin. I've actually had some weeks where the 1 trash bag wasn't completely full. I find the mixed paper from mailings & inserts to be substantial. After pulling all the advertising crap out of my bill statements, and tossing all the other mass-marketing flyers, I wind up with a lot of paper to recycle. The kids are the real recycling police. If I dare toss so much as a small magazine reply card in the trash, I hear about it! Good that it is becoming just a way of life for the next generation though.
pumbaa

Postby Debra Huffman » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:16 am

Pumbaa, we're finding exactly the same thing. We've always been recyclers, but now we have less volume going into the garbage bags. It's just so easy to throw everything - all plastics, all paper, etc. - into our one recycling bin, I guess we're recycling more.
Debra Huffman

Next

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling