Single Stream Recycling?

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re: Single Stream Recycling?

Postby elijahstrust » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:12 pm

We are newbies to town and really had no "mandated" recycling where we came from...only pretty much recycling our cardboard twice a month....I do have a copy of the brochure that lists stuff that can be recycled, but I still question whether I should be throwing certain things in the trash or recycling...I'm sure as time goes on we'll get used to it and learn :-)....but another question I have is, do we have to separate any of our recycled items or can I just throw them all into one recycling container together? Sorry, but this is all new to us :-)

Dawn
elijahstrust

Postby lynn » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:05 pm

get the list of what is allowed and dump it all in one bucket
could not be easier
we are throwing less in the trash but a multiple of a lot
lynn

Postby Brian McCarthy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:09 pm

Burred in the site but here is the hand-out...

http://www.merrimacknh.gov/sites/merrim ... Stream.pdf
Brian McCarthy

Postby RBarnes » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:00 am

I would guess that we are getting more in the recycle area and less in the trash but what I wonder is how is that impacting the over all cost of the transfer station to the tax payers.

Look at it this way (and I'm making up these numbers for sake of examples)...

If prior to single stream we took in 100 tons of trash and had to pay $40 per ton it would cost the town $4,000.
Now if during that time we collected say 10 ton of recyclables of different types and were able to collect $1000 for them then the over all cost to tax payers would only be $3,000 for the transfer station during that time.

Now if we single stream we collect 90 tons at the same $40 per ton we're spending $3,600 but now if we only get $500 for the 20 tons of recyclable due to the fact it costs extra to have them sorted either by our town people or the company that buys them from us we end up paying $3,100 for the transfer station's operation.

I would hope our council would take the time to actually do that kind of analysis and confirm they aren't costing us more while making everyone feel good that we're recycling more.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Previous

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling