Curbsite services: names and prices

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Curbsite services: names and prices

Postby tastyratz » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:45 pm

Hello,
I am purchasing a home in mmk, and I move in 2 weeks.
I am coming from Nashua with curbside pickup.
I would like to know who can provide residential waste management in mmk.
Let me also clear the air on this too: I know there is a transfer station. I don't care what you think of it nor its tax implications. I saw poor Snuff's thread get ruined by useless bickering and banter. I want this thread to be HELPFUL AND POSITIVE... and that means if you cant post relevant helpful names or information, don't post.

Moderators: Please trim any useless posts out of this thread and maybe it can be turned into a sticky to prevent the same questions from reappearing for no reason.

I have found the following names on the forum/google/etc:

Buckley Disposal http://buckleydisposal.com
Waste Management http://www.wm.com/Templates/FAC3821/contacts.asp
Less Mess
r&r Houle
BFI (turned allied turned republic services? anyone use them or are they too far from mmk?)
tri-state waste http://www.tristatewaste.com

-What other companies offer residential curbside pickup?
-What are their residential rates?
-What other relevant facts of the services offered do you know of? (such as recycling, bulk fees, etc)
(positives, no mudslinging battles welcome here, play nice)

Lets turn this into a reference thread for newcomers to mmk.
tastyratz

Re: Curbsite services: names and prices

Postby andysinnh » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:56 pm

R&R Houle - $35/month - "posted limit" of 4 barrels or 6 large trash bags per week, but I've put a bit more out than that without a hassle. They don't do recycling - just pickup

I know there are probably cheaper ones out there, but I've used them for about 10 years, they come when they say they will, and provide good service.

Just remember that regardless of the curbside service you choose, you'll still need the transfer station for larger items, and the myriad of different items like metal, oil, etc, etc.

andy

ps - welcome to town - lived here for 41 years - great place to be! You do have an interesting username, though. :?
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby chrisorteg » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:58 am

Tasty,

Welcome to town.

Like Andy, I have used R&R Houle for the past 7 years and have been very happy with their service.
Christopher S. Ortega
chrisorteg

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:34 pm

I've used Buckley for the past 10 years and have been happy with their services. Price is same as Houle but I'm not aware of any limits.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby tastyratz » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:34 am

andysinnh wrote:ps - welcome to town - lived here for 41 years - great place to be! You do have an interesting username, though. :?

Yup, I've been using this username since high school. Made it to turn heads and cant give it up because it still works :D
Thanks for the welcome.

Good references are always good. We are going to have to come up with something pretty soon, so its all good to know.
tastyratz

Postby RBarnes » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:59 pm

Prices of all the main haulers were posted a few years ago and Waste Management was the cheapest by far, not sure if that holds up today.

Rod Buckley of Buckley's is a class act guy. I served with him on the town budget committee and while his business isn't the cheapest in town he does "give back" to the community. After 9/11 he offered free trash pick up to families of veterans serving over seas.

Not to get off on a tangent but did you use that name "tastyratz" on any old house forums? I think I recall seeing it on oldhouseweb.net
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby tastyratz » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:45 pm

Yea I have to admit that the free trash pickup for veterans families was REALLY a big plus if you ask me, that's something you don't see every day anymore.

I saw the prices a few years ago... but from what people have posted they clearly have gone up.

PS.
I just called WM to get a quote for curiosity:
once weekly pickup $32 a month
5 bags per week up to 30 gallons
no recycling.

Wow its hardly worth the thought to even go big instead of a more personal service.

I don't know how small of an operation the locals are though, do the buckley or r&r guys have more than 1 truck? I would hate to not get trash picked up 1 week because they had mechanical problems, etc.

Nah no old house forums, mostly automotive and electronic related forums... Some I moderate. I'm everywhere though. Googling my name gets 22k results (I don't know whether I should laugh or cry with that).
tastyratz

Postby lynn » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:52 pm

I have used Houle for about 30 yrs and cannot remember any time when they missed a pickup
and they have taken everything that we have every put out

and I agree with Rick about Rod being active in town and giving back
lynn

Postby Stan Heinrich » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:04 pm

I believe Buckleys does recycling and I know he has more that one vehicle. He also does special pickups when you have cleaned out the house and have a bunch of stuff to got to "the dump". He is also an elected member of the Merrimack School District Budget Committee.
His website is BuckleyDisposal.com and the phone number is 429-0060.
Stan Heinrich

Postby andysinnh » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:12 pm

I'll concur with others about Buckley's - Rod's a great guy, and worked with me to get a non-standard pickup for my dad's trash needs. I've just stuck with Houle's mostly because we've used them for years. I figure by spreading my family usage between two local haulers, I'm doing my part for the local economy.

8)
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby lynn » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:24 pm

I'm with Andy
I have used Rod fpr special projects - if Roland retires, I would swap to Rod
lynn

Postby Wayne » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:37 pm

tastyratz wrote:I just called WM to get a quote for curiosity:
once weekly pickup $32 a month
5 bags per week up to 30 gallons
no recycling.

Wow its hardly worth the thought to even go big instead of a more personal service.

We have used WM ever since they were the only vendor to offer the town a bargain price for townwide curbside pickup. (Too bad, it would have been a lot cheaper than any price you can get now...but I digress.) They've been reliable, and take everything we put out there. I only wish they took recycling, to save me the trips I still have to make to the TS just for that.
Wayne

Postby Michael Pelletier » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:33 pm

Wayne wrote:We have used WM ever since they were the only vendor to offer the town a bargain price for townwide curbside pickup. (Too bad, it would have been a lot cheaper than any price you can get now...but I digress.)

I'd rather pay more than have someone else force me to use a specific supplier whether I want to or not... but I digress.
Michael Pelletier

Postby RBarnes » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:38 am

Michael Pelletier wrote:
Wayne wrote:We have used WM ever since they were the only vendor to offer the town a bargain price for townwide curbside pickup. (Too bad, it would have been a lot cheaper than any price you can get now...but I digress.)

I'd rather pay more than have someone else force me to use a specific supplier whether I want to or not... but I digress.

Your paying more AND paying WM since they are the same ones who take the trash from the transfer station. But I do understand your point. The wording of the law regarding trash only says the town must assure access to, not that they must supply. The correct thing for the town to do would have been get out of the trash business and opened it up to the free market. Instead we were given the options of a single business selected by the town, or a middle man transfer station and that same single business selected by the town hired to do nearly the same job (pick up our trash and take it out of town). We opted for the more expensive middle man and single business.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Wayne » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:33 pm

Michael Pelletier wrote:I'd rather pay more

Well you got your druthers - we pay 4X as much as we could have been paying.
Wayne

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling