Re SOLID WASTE FROM TOWN TOPICS

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Re SOLID WASTE FROM TOWN TOPICS

Postby Norman Phillips » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:17 pm

Here is the post by Andy on the thread "Re Trash pickup". (Emphasis added for the relevant statement.) I have moved it to a more logical page on the forum.

andysinnh wrote:So I'll admit that I wasn't involved here in any of the transfer station discussions, and have had the pleasure of visiting the dump and transer station since the late 60's, back when you even went to the one on Twin Bridge Road!!!

That being said, when I heard about the curbside pickup position, I was always concerned about the trash that you couldn't leave by the side of the road and how that'd be handled long-term. I use Houle to pick up the trash weekly (been using them for many years), but have the occasional trailer load of stuff from cleaning out a room or the shed or other random stuff - so I actually swtich between a "dump goer" and "curbside guy" regularly. Today the setup gives me what I need, although I do pay montly for the privilege of having someone go to the transfer station for me......

andy

The townwide curbside position ( as I composed it in the warrant article) planned on supplementing town-wide curbside with access by residents to a dumping place on Fearon Road ( i.e. where the TS is now located ) where they could dump their occasional non-household waste . Since such material need not be disposed of by a household every week, this would greatly reduce the traffic on Lawrence Road.
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

Re: Re SOLID WASTE FROM TOWN TOPICS

Postby RBarnes » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:49 pm

Norm, Andy had a 2nd question you missed from the other thread...

So I have a question then. When the haulers were picking up trash at the end of our driveways under the curbside proposal, where was the trash taken in order to be hauled away? If Lawrence Road, where I'd drop off all of the stuff they wouldn't take, wasn't then the location still going to be a transfer station? I guess I'm just questioning the proposal specifics - and apologies for not remembering this. It's amazing that not being plugged into the forum at the time, I'm mostly clueless as to the specifics that were being bantied about... :?

I believe the plan was to take the trash directly to Rochester NH. The location on Lawrence Rd was going to be intended for bulky items only so there wouldn't have been a $2 million dollar station built. More then likely the recycle building we already had in place could have handled it.

Ironically those who hire waste management are paying extra for exactly as we would have otherwise had as Buckley is the ONLY hauler using the station. The rest of the haulers take the trash directly out of town to either land fills or public transfer stations which are larger and able to handle trash at a much cheaper rate per ton then our own station can.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Michael Pelletier » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:17 pm

I gather Buckley's not even using the station much anymore, since other sites have better rates and single- or dual-stream recycling.
Michael Pelletier

Postby Norman Phillips » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:13 am

PEANUTS!!!! The Exchange club will sell peanuts @ $ 2 per bag this Saturday ( Oct 17 ) at the Transfer Station. Some non-salted nuts will be available. Please bring several dollar bills with you.

The proceeds are used to sponsor a recognition dinner for outstanding seniors from Merrimack high school.[code][/code]
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

Postby Stan Heinrich » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:30 am

GREAT PEANUTS!!! Outstanding price that has not gone up!! A great cause!

Thanks for the heads up Norm.
Stan Heinrich

Postby andysinnh » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:49 am

Hmm - wonder if sellings peanuts at the transfer station is going to be a detrement to any other business(es) in town? :lol:

Sorry - I love these peanuts and think it's great they're being sold - but I think that the statement I just made shows the issue with some of the hot dog discussions in the other thread. Where does the line get drawn...

I'll be making a trip by just for this!

thanks Norm - hope you're doing well - andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby RBarnes » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:55 pm

andysinnh wrote:Hmm - wonder if sellings peanuts at the transfer station is going to be a detrement to any other business(es) in town? :lol:

If Texas Roadhouse goes under we'll know who to blame.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:10 am

10,000 comedians out of work and we're lucky enough to have a few posting here.
:lol:
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby lynn » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:11 am

life is way to short to not allow us to laugh at ourselves once in a while
lynn

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling