trash pick up

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

trash pick up

Postby snufff1175 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:52 am

I am looking to buy a house in Merrimack and I was wondering if trash pick up was private or public. I live in Nashua and we have those town supplied blue barrels. I haven't seen those in Merrimack. I've searched the internet, but I can't find anything.
snufff1175

Re: trash pick up

Postby bobandgeri » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:58 am

Merrimack uses a transfer station where you bring your trash for disposal. Many in town contract with one of the private trash collection companies for @ $35 per month.

Here is the link to the information on the Town Web Site:
http://wwtp.ci.merrimack.nh.us/solid_waste.htm
bobandgeri

Postby Michael Pelletier » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:34 am

I use Buckley Disposal and have been pretty happy with them. They take mixed container recycling and paper recycling on alternate weeks.
Michael Pelletier

Postby Confucius » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:17 am

I don't use any of the local haulers since they were *all* instrumental in the disinformation campaign that lead MMK voters to approve the added tax burden known as the transfer station. I use Waste Management and they do a good job.

Oh, and welcome potentially to Merrirmack. We're all one big happy family here.
My font > yours.
Confucius

Postby RD » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:40 am

Confucius wrote:I don't use any of the local haulers since they were *all* instrumental in the disinformation campaign that lead MMK voters to approve the added tax burden known as the transfer station. I use Waste Management and they do a good job.

Yeah, I fired my local guy right after that and switched to Waste Management. They were good and less expensive.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby snufff1175 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:02 pm

thanks for the help guys! what was the difference before the transfer station? What is the difference between a local hauler and Waste Management?
snufff1175

Postby RD » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:08 pm

snufff1175 wrote:What is the difference between a local hauler and Waste Management?

Around 5-10 bucks a month.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby Confucius » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:20 pm

Local haulers are small local trash hauling businesses, like Buckley's. Waste Management, like BFI, are large out-of-town companies that do the same thing. I believe in supporting local, small businesses, and I do, but I draw the line when they go out of their way to deceive the public like the local haulers did.
My font > yours.
Confucius

Postby Scott Kepnes » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:39 pm

We moved to town after the TS debate so I don't know much about it except what I've heard. Started using a local company which is no longer around. Then that switched to another co that took over their business, then last summer and fall I stopped it to save $ and make myself get to the TS more. Had surgery this winter and I was out of commission for a while so we've been using Rod Buckley and he does a great job.

Scott
Scott Kepnes

Postby Kathy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:03 pm

There used to be "the dump" where you brought your trash to a landfill. It reached capacity and closed. Based on loads of misinformation, the town voted to build a transfer station so you drive your trash to a location where it can be relaoded and driven out of town. The other option was curbside which would have just driven it out of town without having the middle man.

There was a lot of of misinformation (created monetary figures, etc) to make the transfer station sound great, but it's just another waste of time and space... kind of like the "new mall". This too is being made to sound beneficial, but is actually going to be another huge PIA for a lot of people.

Just MHO.

Welcome to Merrimack.
Kathy

Postby RBarnes » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:25 pm

Some of the back story has already been posted here but what it all comes down to for those here now is we pay around $1.7 million per year to run the transfer station. The station currently handles about 1/3 of the towns total trash with the other 2/3 paying a hauler on top of what they pay the town to run the station. In other words you're taxed twice.

When curbside was put on the table the town had the option for a 10 year deal which would have put us at $1.8 million a year for the entire town to have curbside. The selectmen at the time presented the number for a SINGLE year contract which was much higher as the annual price. They also excluded the cost of building the station itself when presenting the transfer station costs. When all was said and done and the "selected" numbers were presented they tried to claim $1 million in annual savings with the transfer station. Facts however now show that the station servicing just 1/3 of the town is costing us just about the same we would have otherwise paid for full town wide curbside and when you factor in what people pay in gas to transfer their own trash or what they pay haulers on top of the cost of the station it's clear to see we pay FAR more now with the transfer station.

The cost is even greater when you begin looking at the costs we needed to add in to fix the Bedford road bridge and make road adjustments since the transfer station is located in the middle of winding country roads not designed for full size tractor trailers. And we still haven't made the path the trucks take completely safe.

But hey, I live on Lawrence Rd so my view and opinion was tossed aside as NIMBY just as those living around the mall were discounted.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby snufff1175 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:50 pm

That really stinks. I can see how the local haulers would want to sway it their way. I think I'll take my own trash to the transfer station since I'll be paying for it anyway!
snufff1175

Postby andysinnh » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:54 pm

So I'll admit that I wasn't involved here in any of the transfer station discussions, and have had the pleasure of visiting the dump and transer station since the late 60's, back when you even went to the one on Twin Bridge Road!!!

That being said, when I heard about the curbside pickup position, I was always concerned about the trash that you couldn't leave by the side of the road and how that'd be handled long-term. I use Houle to pick up the trash weekly (been using them for many years), but have the occasional trailer load of stuff from cleaning out a room or the shed or other random stuff - so I actually swtich between a "dump goer" and "curbside guy" regularly. Today the setup gives me what I need, although I do pay montly for the privilege of having someone go to the transfer station for me......

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Postby RBarnes » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:10 pm

andysinnh wrote:That being said, when I heard about the curbside pickup position, I was always concerned about the trash that you couldn't leave by the side of the road and how that'd be handled long-term.

The curbside option also offered a bulky item drop off point on the end of Lawrence Rd which was also part of the $1.8 million.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby andysinnh » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:38 pm

RBarnes wrote:
andysinnh wrote:That being said, when I heard about the curbside pickup position, I was always concerned about the trash that you couldn't leave by the side of the road and how that'd be handled long-term.

The curbside option also offered a bulky item drop off point on the end of Lawrence Rd which was also part of the $1.8 million.

So I have a question then. When the haulers were picking up trash at the end of our driveways under the curbside proposal, where was the trash taken in order to be hauled away? If Lawrence Road, where I'd drop off all of the stuff they wouldn't take, wasn't then the location still going to be a transfer station? I guess I'm just questioning the proposal specifics - and apologies for not remembering this. It's amazing that not being plugged into the forum at the time, I'm mostly clueless as to the specifics that were being bantied about... :?

andy
Andy Schneider
andysinnh

Next

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling