State Solid Waste Report

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

State Solid Waste Report

Postby Michael Thompson » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:19 am

http://des.nh.gov/SWTAS/pdf/rec_mun.pdf

Interesting information regarding recycling, most of the towns with higher recycling have PAYT in place.

You want to lower taxes, PAYT will make the Transfer Station a zero sum tax. You would be in control of your expenses for solid waste.
"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." Thomas Jefferson
Michael Thompson

Re: State Solid Waste Report

Postby Michael Pelletier » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:56 am

I'd be interested to know whether the towns with higher recycling rates have more user-friendly sorting requirements, also.
Michael Pelletier

Postby RD » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:34 pm

Michael Pelletier wrote:I'd be interested to know whether the towns with higher recycling rates have more user-friendly sorting requirements, also.

I think that plays a big role. Goffstown, for example, has curbside pickup of co-mingled recyclables. Although they have a higher recycling rate than Merrimack, I would think it would be even higher considering the ease of recycling in Goffstown. I suspect that resident mindset also plays a role in recycling rates.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby Michael Pelletier » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:26 am

I have curbside pickup of co-mingled recyclables too - the only thing I have to separate out is the paper. It's much less hassle than having half a dozen different bins and spending half an hour sorting on Saturday morning.
Michael Pelletier

Postby RD » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:15 am

I thought I had curbside pick up of co-mingled recyclables in Merrimack too. Back when I first moved to Merrimack, the second day there, the owner of Less Mess Trash Pickup came to my door asking me to use his service. He said I can recycle - just put recyclables in a separate box or something. I did this for several months, then one day when I happened to be home I saw his truck come by and just dump everything - solid waste and recyclables - into the back of the truck. Needless to say, I stopped putting out recyclables for him at that point.

I stayed with him, though, because his rates were competative. But as soon as he raised his rates after successfully lobbying for the TS, I fired him.
"If you think teachers are your enemy, you should probably reassess who you think your friends are." - Chris Larson
RD

Postby Michael Pelletier » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 am

Some of the dumps or transfer stations do trash-stream sorting of recyclables, so if they're putting trash on one side of the truck and recyclables on the other, or if a big clump of cardboard falls out of the truck, it's straightforward for the dump to pluck out the recyclable stuff when the dumping takes place.
Michael Pelletier

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling