new stickers

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

new stickers

Postby RBarnes » Sun May 13, 2007 8:33 am

I see the town finally wisened up and is now going to issue new stickers every year. Considering the amount of people I see living in near by towns who have stickers they either got from friends in Merrimack or from cars they purchased in Merrimack, I think forcing new stickers every year will cut down on this illegal traffic and save us a couple bucks.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Re: new stickers

Postby Brian McCarthy » Sun May 13, 2007 11:17 am

And they are window stickers something I suggested way back when Dean was TM. If I had a new car, I sure didn't want to have to plaster a yellow
sticker onto the finish.

Brian

RBarnes wrote:I see the town finally wisened up and is now going to issue new stickers every year. Considering the amount of people I see living in near by towns who have stickers they either got from friends in Merrimack or from cars they purchased in Merrimack, I think forcing new stickers every year will cut down on this illegal traffic and save us a couple bucks.
Brian McCarthy

Postby Tom Mahon » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:33 pm

The new stickers are availbale for pick-up at the Town Clerk's office and at the transfer station. They are effective on July 1st the same day that the new disposal fees go into effect.
Tom Mahon
31 Naticook Road
Tom Mahon

Postby StuMonc » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:44 pm

Got my new sticker last week. It still has a picture of the dragon on it, but gone now is that odd statement "Stop Dragon It" or whatever it was. I never figured out what that slogan was supposed to mean.
StuMonc

Postby Brian McCarthy » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:53 pm

StuMonc wrote:Got my new sticker last week. It still has a picture of the dragon on it, but gone now is that odd statement "Stop Dragon It" or whatever it was. I never figured out what that slogan was supposed to mean.

It had something to do with the recycling program.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Re:

Postby fog » Mon May 19, 2008 1:02 pm

StuMonc wrote:gone now is that odd statement "Stop Dragon It" or whatever it was. I never figured out what that slogan was supposed to mean.

I think it meant "Stop dragging it," as in dragging your recyclables into the garbage. Though now that I stop and think about it, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, either...

How often are the stickers checked? Whenever I go on a Saturday (arguably the most popular day), I never see anyone checking stickers. Is it just done at random?
Matt.
fog

Re: Re:

Postby RBarnes » Mon May 19, 2008 2:31 pm

fog wrote:
StuMonc wrote:gone now is that odd statement "Stop Dragon It" or whatever it was. I never figured out what that slogan was supposed to mean.

I think it meant "Stop dragging it," as in dragging your recyclables into the garbage. Though now that I stop and think about it, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, either...

Maybe it has to do with people who don't secure the trash in their cars and end up having it dragging along the road only to fall out on people's lawns? One Saturday on Lawrence Rd and I think you'd be shocked by how many people drive along with half their haul scraping along the road.

fog wrote:How often are the stickers checked? Whenever I go on a Saturday (arguably the most popular day), I never see anyone checking stickers. Is it just done at random?

Occasionally they have an officer there checking. It was done a couple times after they switched to the new stickers. And in my opinion based on the number of cars I see on a given Saturday it appears to have cut down some of the traffic.

Usually the younger guy that works outside the station itself will keep an eye out. I've seen him on a couple cases flag cars down and make they get a sticker from the trailer office before they dump their trash.

I'm guessing the new stickers did help curb some of the illegal dumping or "friends" who happened to get a stick one way or another. And since our tax dollars pay for every ton of trash dumped there I think we can all agree that's a good thing.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby StuMonc » Tue May 20, 2008 11:34 am

New stickers are now available at the Transfer Station. I just got mine this morning. They're blue this year, but otherwise the design is the same as last years.
StuMonc

Postby StuMonc » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:55 pm

New stickers are in.....green this year and good thru December 2011 (perhaps thats the target date to go to PAYT?)

Sometimes I wonder why I bother with the new stickers, when half the people at the dump have old/expired ones. Do they ever check them?
StuMonc

Postby Brian McCarthy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:10 am

The reason for the color change is so its very easy to check them from a distance.

However, from time to time, they do bring the PD out there. If you don't have a sticker, but you have your papers (gasp ;-)), you will be told to go get a sticker at the scale house.

Brian

StuMonc wrote:New stickers are in.....green this year and good thru December 2011 (perhaps thats the target date to go to PAYT?)

Sometimes I wonder why I bother with the new stickers, when half the people at the dump have old/expired ones. Do they ever check them?
Brian McCarthy

Postby random1 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:06 pm

Never seen the PD at the transfer station. But Stu is right...you don't see anyone checking for stickers.
random1

Postby pumbaa » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:08 am

I have seen the PD there checking a couple of time. Also had a TS employee watching all the vehicles as they approached the station on several occassions. I was even approached once by an employee who was working the electronics area and didn't happen to see my sticker from his angle. They can't be checking constantly, but there are definitely ongoing random checks, especially right after the old stickers expire.
pumbaa

Postby Michael Pelletier » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:05 pm

Seems that the middle of the winter is a poor choice of expiration dates. I'd rather pick up a new sticker in the summer, rather than trudging through salty slush during the Christmas season.
Michael Pelletier

Postby pumbaa » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:40 am

Michael Pelletier wrote:Seems that the middle of the winter is a poor choice of expiration dates. I'd rather pick up a new sticker in the summer, rather than trudging through salty slush during the Christmas season.

I don't have my sticker in front of me, but I thought they expired in June??
pumbaa

Postby Michael Pelletier » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:47 am

pumbaa wrote:I don't have my sticker in front of me, but I thought they expired in June??

The 2010 ones did expire in June, but the green 2011 sticker I have expires 12/31.
Michael Pelletier

Next

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling