PAYT being considered

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

PAYT being considered

Postby RBarnes » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:16 am

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbc ... /-1/news01

[quote]Town manager Keith Hickey said it was something he’s suggested in the broader context of the budget discussions as a way for the town to recoup those costs.

Right now, the cost for removing those items is spread out among all taxpayers.

Hickey said he’s planning on making a presentation to a town council meeting sometime in February. At that time, he said, he’d lay out a proposed schedule of user fees.

Hickey said the town would only charge what it currently costs them.

“All we’re trying to do is recoup those costs,â€
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby andysinnh » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:39 am

To clarify a bit on Rick's post (if you can't read the article), the intent here is to charge for folks' dropping off of large appliances, propane tanks, etc. Sounds reasonable if the fee is a "cover cost" sort of thing, since if you buy a new appliance they charge you for removal anyway, so I guess it'll be lower cost in the end even with a fee.

And the article does discuss PAYT overall, with McCray saying that it should be brought back to the voters in a couple of years.....

andy
andysinnh

Postby Michael Pelletier » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:54 am

Maybe they could change the color of the stickers every year, and issue them to people who subscribe to the transfer station.
Michael Pelletier

Postby RD » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:05 pm

From WMUR:

Canterbury's Pay-As-You-Throw Program Draws Notice

Residents Charged For Trash They Generate

CANTERBURY, N.H. -- A town's pay-as-you-throw program's success in increasing recycling is drawing attention from other communities in a regional trash cooperative.

Canterbury started the program three months ago and has seen a drop in the amount of trash that must be hauled to an incinerator.

Now, Concord, Boscawen and Hopkinton are exploring the feasibility of adopting a similar program, which charges residents for the amount of trash they generate. Residents in Canterbury aren't charged for recycling paper, cardboard, glass and other recyclable materials.

Residents buy two sizes of specially colored and marked bags for trash. For example, a 30-gallon bag costs $1.50. Residents also pay to dispose of some larger items.

Canterbury officials said their program is a success. Trash tonnage has dropped by about one-third, while recycling of paper and glass has increased, they said.

Some residents chose instead to rent private trash containers, officials said.

Recycling Committee Chairman Steve Rasche said paying for a private container is more expensive.

"Eventually, it will die down," he said. "Other than that, things are going great."

Rasche said Canterbury brought about 75 tons of trash to an incinerator each month before the program began. In October, the town burned 43 tons. The total rose slightly in November to 50 tons. Rasche said figures aren't available yet for December, but he expected the totals to be slightly higher before leveling off.

RD

Postby joe179 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:16 am

From today's Union Leader:
A town pay as you throw program's success in increasing recycling is drawing attention from other communities in a regional trash cooperative.
Canterbury started the program three months ago and has seen a drop in the amount of trash that must be hauled to an incinerator...
Residents buy two sizes of specially colored and marked bags for trash. For example, a 30 gallon bag costs $1.50. Residents also pay to dispose of some larger items.
Canterbury officials say their program is a success. Trash tonnage has dropped by about one-third while recycling of paper and glass has increased, they say...

The following url is a very contains a very interesting presentation on Pay as you Throw including the benefits of instituting such a program:

http://www.des.state.nh.us/swtas/pdf/PAYT2005.pdf

I feel the time has come for town officials to grapple with PAYT, as we face the real costs of operating our Solid Waste disposal program. PAYT can help reduce overall costs and help generate additional revenue from recycling as it has in Canterbury and other communities. This could represent a means of reducing our tax burden while simultaneously increasing the efficiency (cost vs revenue) of our Transfer Station...
joe179

Postby Dennis King » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:04 pm

Every time I hear PAYT being pushed as the answer to all our problems I keep saying the simple fact is it is a cost shift, no one factors the cost put onto the taxpayer. The only thing looked at is the reduced cost to the town and supposed tax savings.

You need to add the cost to administer the program, the extra town employees needed due to the delays (what if someone tries to throw away trash in the wrong color bag). No, this is just a tax shift that makes people feel nice about protecting the environment. It will be a major inconvenience and I beleive the real motivation is to move people away from dumping their own trash to a single payer system.

PAYT is a bad idea, the economies of scale do not make sense and when you factor the real cost, it is more expensive.

But like anything else, a no vote does not mean no to the people who want it, they will keep at it until they get what they want. I hope enough people will realize that this simple a tax through user fee and they will once again vote it down. The scary thing is now we have a TC, they can simply vote this in, this is why I opposed the TC, for now, Dave says the people should vote but in the future, who knows?

We don't charge the seniors to use the senior center, we should not charge people to throw their trash away in a facility they paid for.

Oh BTW, I don't want to hear about the trash fees, we bought the land in the first place, where does this end.

Sorry guys but this is a nerve button issue with me. Throwing away your trash should not be a big deal. Most people do recycle anyway, why now punish them for their household wastes

Dennis
Dennis King

Postby Wayne » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:01 pm

Dennis King wrote:Every time I hear PAYT being pushed as the answer to all our problems I keep saying the simple fact is it is a cost shift, no one factors the cost put onto the taxpayer. The only thing looked at is the reduced cost to the town and supposed tax savings.

This would be a real tax savings for me, since I rarely use the TS but currently must pay for others to use it. While I am in favor of PAYT, I agree it is just a cost shift, and I would rather we close the TS altogether and allow people to just haul their trash to the end of their driveway and be done with it. Now that would save a lot of taxpayers some money...and time. 8)
Wayne

Postby andysinnh » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:35 pm

Dennis King wrote:Sorry guys but this is a nerve button issue with me. Throwing away your trash should not be a big deal. Most people do recycle anyway, why now punish them for their household wastes

Dennis

Dennis - I challenge this final statement. I contend that most people do NOT recycle. Maybe the folks you see going to the tranfer and recycling stations on saturday (or whenever) do, but that is a minority compared to the population of this town. I'll admit that I've greatly reduced the amount of recycling that I do compared to my weekly visit to the recycling center several years ago. Why? Time constraints. I have zero time to do the weekly runs to the transfer station to dump and split out the recyclables. I pay for a weekly pickup. I think that, today, the options for weekly pickup and weekly recycling pickup are very thin (if you combine both aspects), and I'd love for the variety in that service to expand. Maybe I'm not a traditional "yankee new englander" since I don't make the time to hang out with folks on Fearon Rd weekly. But I did it for 30 years and today would like more options. If PAYT is a way to get it, I'm listening.....

andy
andysinnh

Postby Dennis King » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:32 pm

Wayne and Andy, you both make my point, the real reason to push for PAYT has nothing to do with recycling, it is all about going with a single payer system, thus killing the TS. I like the option, if you have a party and a lot of trash, who wants it smelling around waiting for a week for the pick up. No thank you, we voted for this option. I would like to keep it the way it is.

PAYT is nothing more than a method to kill the TS, I urge people to talk to the TC members as it appears this issue is perculating again.
Dennis
Dennis King

Postby Wayne » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:05 pm

Dennis King wrote:Wayne and Andy, you both make my point, the real reason to push for PAYT has nothing to do with recycling, ...

PAYT definitely encourages recycling for those that use the TS, but yes, the real reason for me is that those who use the TS should pay for it.

BTW, I am a strong supporter of recycling, and in fact drive all the way to Fearon Rd. just to deliver that. Recycling should be available for all right at the curbside along with their trash pickup, and then many more people would do so.
Wayne

Postby M@ » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:04 pm

andysinnh wrote:I have zero time to do the weekly runs to the transfer station

I challenge that - your posting to this forum on a Saturday afternoon.

Personally - we use Buckley for the non recyclables and make the trip to the transfer station every couple weeks to get rid of the bottles and newspapers. Probably because our neighbor's recommended them when we moved in and we haven't seen any reason to change.

I voted for curbside the last time it came around on the ballot, because it would allow us to continue doing pretty much what we do now.

M@
M@

Postby andysinnh » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:34 pm

M@ wrote:
andysinnh wrote:I have zero time to do the weekly runs to the transfer station

I challenge that - your posting to this forum on a Saturday afternoon.

Ok - you're right - let me rephrase that - maybe I have zero desire. Why? I do what you do - I have Houle pick up my trash each week. And after I started that service, I did separate out recyclables. Problem was, they sat and sat, week after week, until my bins overflowed. So for me, if I could just bring 'em to the curb with my trash, I'd do it. But trying to get my act together to bring 'em to the TS was not predictable, especially during baseball or soccer season - and I think that's the reason that I found myself getting behind.

With the current setup in town, we're not attracting vendors who will do recycling and trash. That's a service I'd like to see... If it exists today, pls tell me.

andy
andysinnh

so much for that argument

Postby lynn » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:26 pm

We don't charge the seniors to use the senior center, we should not charge people to throw their trash away in a facility they paid for.

Oh, but we do charge the seniors to use "THE ADULT COMMUNITY CENTER"
just as we charge other groups to use it.
lynn

Postby Scott Kepnes » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:20 pm

andysinnh wrote:
With the current setup in town, we're not attracting vendors who will do recycling and trash. That's a service I'd like to see... If it exists today, pls tell me.

andy

We used Less Mess when they were in Merrimack. They picked up trash and recycling seperately. I still brought much of our recycling to the TS, but I could have given it (the glass, plastic, newspapers) to them. Since they sold the business to MTD trash in Milford, Ive continued using them and MTD tells me that I can still give them the recycling mixed in with the trash?? And that it gets sorted out?? Ive never heard of that- can't trust it unless I see it... (anyone know about that?) so I still bring all our recycling, which is currently packed into our garage, to the TS- time for a spring cleaning.

I've been considering stopping our service with them (for the savings) and forcing myself to get to the TS more frequently, which I like to and eventually do, but have limited time.

Scott
Scott Kepnes

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling