Charge self haulers

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Postby Fitzy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:56 pm

Talk about PWT. You sure talk the talk.

Hey Jeannine, I'll call 'em as I see 'em. How would you describe people who literally place more value on a large trash receptacle than a library?

And you know what I say to the 500k hoitsy toitsy folks who move here. The library didn't shrink since you moved here. They were perfectly aware of what services the town offers. This has NEVER been a 500k type of town. The people who need that type of high class environment should move to Amherst.
Gee, and I was wondering why no large businesses want to move to MMK. Did I fall into a scene from "Porkys"? As far as MMK not being a $500K "type of town", sure it is. When you or your family members eventually decide to sell your home, you'll be grinning ear to ear that it was. Let me know if you donate the extra proceeds to a worthy cause. Yea right. Your home values have gone up because for the last 10 years your schools have been viewed by prospective home buyers as some of the best in the state. Period. And just in case you're worried about your investment, MMK will soon be a $600K type of town once enough of the old gaurd go the way of the Do Do. That's life.

You have no more or less right to dictate the service levels than anyone else. The fact you've lived there a long time is quaint, but doesn't mean squat in a budget process which is renewed on a yearly basis.
It's better to be discontent with knowledge than happy due to ignorance
Fitzy

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:15 pm

Fitzy

You have no more or less right to dictate the service levels than anyone else. The fact you've lived there a long time is quaint, but doesn't mean squat in a budget process which is renewed on a yearly basis.

I would think you have even less right to dictate anything in MMK - Nashua boy :shock:
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby IamLowerrtaxes » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:26 pm

Merrimack saw a quick 2 week skyrocket in value and desirability in March of 03.

Like most bubbles though - it burst quickly when the euphoria subsided and the reality of the taxation burden sunk in. :D
It's easy to support spending other peoples money when you're loaded.
IamLowerrtaxes

Postby Fitzy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:46 pm

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Fitzy

I would think you have even less right to dictate anything in MMK - Nashua boy :shock:

As is usually the case you miss the point entirely Jeannine. I'm not the one constantly bitching about how poor she is due to taxation, that'd be you. The fact is you and the majority of the rest of your "ilk" (to borrow a USC term) are hypocrits. You gleefully pay $2M up front and another $1M/year more so your "good peeps" can stay in business yet whine like babies when someone wants to improve the library. Where I happen to live doesn't change the fact you place more value in trash than upgrading your library. Keep it up and your gonna destroy the equity in your property those schools you hate paying for (of course now that your kids are gone) helped build.
It's better to be discontent with knowledge than happy due to ignorance
Fitzy

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:34 pm

FItzy

Keep it up and your gonna destroy the equity in your property those schools you hate paying for (of course now that your kids are gone) helped build.

Where have my kids gone? Last time I looked they were both in their rooms. The equity in my home will be far more affected by the taxes than the library. I don't know about anyone else but when I look for a home the taxes are a crucial factor in affordability.
Jeannine Stergios

Re: Charge self haulers

Postby cyclone70 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:39 am

I agree,when I was searching for a house in 1993,taxes were one of my main concerns.
I had looked at houses in Derry and Londonderry and considered them until I saw the taxes.
Back then taxes on a home in the 100k range were about 5k/yr.
I immediately crossed them off the list and told the realtor to keep looking.
Since then I believe Derry instituted a spending cap which has brought taxes back in line somewhat.
cyclone70

Postby Brian McCarthy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:46 am

You have the ability to put a spending cap in place here - with your vote. Make your voice be heard with that little felt pen on election day - actually, better yet, before then at the budget meetings, through this forum, via email, phone calls.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby cyclone70 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:32 am

Brian,I would love to see a warrant article for a spending cap.
When this subject was brought at a TC meeting and Mr. Mahon asked all the board members for discussion/comments.
The silence was deafening.For a minute I thought the sound system went dead in the courtroom.
cyclone70

Postby Brian McCarthy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:59 am

The points brought up at that meeting is that we are doing far better (town portion - the part we have control of) than the cap would have put in place.

There were many implementation issues brought out that caused me to vote against putting it on the ballot.

I can't support something that I see flaws in. Re-work it, bring it back and try again.

It is the same reason the I said no to the demo ordinance - there were too many questions.

My comments about use your vote was meant to get people out and take part in the process.

Brian
Brian McCarthy

Postby RBarnes » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:21 am

Brian McCarthy wrote:There were many implementation issues brought out that caused me to vote against putting it on the ballot.

I can't support something that I see flaws in. Re-work it, bring it back and try again.

Brian if the board actually took the time to look at towns that have successfully working spending caps they would have seen that EVERY SINGLE issue you guys brought up in that meeting are non issues. The proof is out there if you all took the time to look at evidence.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:02 am

Rumor has it that a petition for a spending cap warrant article will be circulating around town shortly. I will keep you all posted.
Jeannine Stergios

Postby RBarnes » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:05 am

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Rumor has it that a petition for a spending cap warrant article will be circulating around town shortly. I will keep you all posted.

The council already shot it down. There is a group, myself included, working on petitioning to get it up for a vote despite the councils objections but I doubt you'll see it this year.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
RBarnes

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:21 am

How can they shoot something down that many people are in favor of?

Oh - I guess that explains your Dictatorship topic. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Jeannine Stergios

Postby RBarnes » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:29 am

Jeannine Stergios wrote:How can they shoot something down that many people are in favor of?

Oh - I guess that explains your Dictatorship topic. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Start collecting names and phone numbers of people willing to sign. When we start we'll need a LOT of signatures and have a short time to collect them all, having people we can call and say meet us at Dunkins or some location in town would he a HUGE help.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
RBarnes

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:53 am

They can stop by my office between 9am -5pm Monday through Friday. I'll even have someone come in and keep the office open on Saturday from 9-12 if that's what it takes.
Jeannine Stergios

PreviousNext

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling