Charge self haulers

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Charge self haulers

Postby Joe » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:22 pm

I really think we need to close the landfill and go to curbside. This will take a little time but in the meantime, we should charge fees to the self haulers. We issue permits, let's charge them $360/year to haul their trash. if they pay either way, we have curbside and save money
Joe
 

Postby Michael Pelletier » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:07 pm

We already have curbside.

It's called Buckley Disposal, Less Mess, Waste Management, BFI, etc, etc.

There's dozens of companies in the trash hauling business, I can't figure out why the town is forced to be in it as well.
User avatar
Michael Pelletier
 
Posts: 4219
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:43 pm
Location: 3 Woodbine Lane

Postby IamLowerrtaxes » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:12 pm

Don't forget R & R Houle Disposal...

Good peeps.
It's easy to support spending other peoples money when you're loaded.
IamLowerrtaxes
 
Posts: 875
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:44 pm

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:25 pm

LT

The Houles were friends with my three brithers as they were our next door neighbors.

We used to call them the houley goulies. LOL

They are good people indeed.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios
 
Posts: 9306
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:36 pm
Location: Jessica Drive Merrimack

Postby Dennis King » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:05 pm

The 3 previous posters said it better than me, we have the choice of some great companies.

I met these guys during the debate over the transfer station; I don't want to pick favorites, but I can say they are all excellent people and would recommend them highly.

As for the rest of us, the town is REQUIRED to provide for waste disposal. If you choose to self haul, you can use the transfer station. It is made available to all the haulers and the townspeople as well.

Dennis
User avatar
Dennis King
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:37 am

Postby IamLowerrtaxes » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:03 am

Funny too how some believe we shouldn't cut the budget because there will be layoffs of town employees, but the same folks are ready willing and able to bankrupt local family owned businesses.

It's like when Rosemarie picketed the gas station and attacked me on this forum. It's easy to go after the self employed or the business owner when your tucked away safe and sound as an employee - working for someone else. There are no repercussions for doing it.

I mean one certainly can't attempt to negatively affect Rosemaries income by picketing her employer - what would you do? Carry signs that say fire Rosemarie?
It's easy to support spending other peoples money when you're loaded.
IamLowerrtaxes
 
Posts: 875
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:44 pm

Postby RBarnes » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:19 am

Dennis King wrote:As for the rest of us, the town is REQUIRED to provide for waste disposal.


Actually Dennis, the law requires ACCESS to waste disposal.... it says nothing about the town having to provide it.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
User avatar
RBarnes
 
Posts: 6852
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:21 pm
Location: Merrimack

Postby merrimack photography » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:32 am

IamLowerrtaxes wrote:Funny too how some believe we shouldn't cut the budget because there will be layoffs of town employees, but the same folks are ready willing and able to bankrupt local family owned businesses.

It's like when Rosemarie picketed the gas station and attacked me on this forum. It's easy to go after the self employed or the business owner when your tucked away safe and sound as an employee - working for someone else. There are no repercussions for doing it.

I mean one certainly can't attempt to negatively affect Rosemaries income by picketing her employer - what would you do? Carry signs that say fire Rosemarie?


i remember reading something about that, what was that all about anyway?
merrimack photography
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:55 pm

Postby IamLowerrtaxes » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:15 am

Oh.

She became a local legend because she picketed the gas station because the gas station was in disagreement with her on local spending.

She therefore attempted and to some degree succeeded in taking money out of a local business owners pockets because of the political differences.

Again - the important thing, to me, is that basically, her income cannot really be affected because she's an employee, but oh yeah, watch out. She'll come after yours in more ways than just taxes.

Care to disagree Rosemarie?
It's easy to support spending other peoples money when you're loaded.
IamLowerrtaxes
 
Posts: 875
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:44 pm

Postby Fitzy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:22 pm

Come on folks, call a spade a spade. You are subsidizing the solid waste market so three small businesses (or "good peeps") can remain in business. Remember? It was all about "choice".

I find it interesting that a town that blindly cuts $1.5M off its budget is willing to spend $1.5M more than it needs to for the luxury of hauling its own rotted fruit to a common collecting place and so "good peeps" can remain solvent in a market they have no control over. Especially "good peeps" that lied through their teeth promising they'd give MMK their business and are now bringing it elsewhere. You're all paying more in your taxes because they broke that promise, you're just too stupid to figure it out.

Your trash is ending up where it was always going to end up, with Waste Management. A majority in the town was simply too ignorant or uninformed to realize your only bargaining chip was the collection volumes. So now you pay more. A lot more.

You are what you are, and soon enough you'll be looking up at Pelham and wondering how you got there. MMK has turned into a town that places more value in its trash than in its library. Enough said.
Last edited by Fitzy on Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's better to be discontent with knowledge than happy due to ignorance
Fitzy
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:40 pm

Postby Fitzy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:32 pm

Michael Pelletier wrote:We already have curbside.

It's called Buckley Disposal, Less Mess, Waste Management, BFI, etc, etc.

There's dozens of companies in the trash hauling business, I can't figure out why the town is forced to be in it as well.


Well Mike, think of it this way:

There are dozens of private contractors who plow, but very few have the equipment required to handle the roads and its far more economical for the town to do it. Same concept, except its even more practical with an 12-month/year issue as trash.

You're in business right Mike? When was the last time you didn't expect a lower price for more volume? By segmenting the trash volumes as MMK has, you've lost the only leverage you were ever going to have when it comes to the biggest cost, that being disposal out of town.

Hey, no skin off my arse, as long as you're happy paying more so 3 businesses stay solvent. But please stop the whining about spending.
It's better to be discontent with knowledge than happy due to ignorance
Fitzy
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:40 pm

Postby Taxed Out » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:22 pm

Fitzy wrote:
Michael Pelletier wrote:We already have curbside.

It's called Buckley Disposal, Less Mess, Waste Management, BFI, etc, etc.

There's dozens of companies in the trash hauling business, I can't figure out why the town is forced to be in it as well.


Well Mike, think of it this way:

There are dozens of private contractors who plow, but very few have the equipment required to handle the roads and its far more economical for the town to do it. Same concept, except its even more practical with an 12-month/year issue as trash.

You're in business right Mike? When was the last time you didn't expect a lower price for more volume? By segmenting the trash volumes as MMK has, you've lost the only leverage you were ever going to have when it comes to the biggest cost, that being disposal out of town.

Hey, no skin off my arse, as long as you're happy paying more so 3 businesses stay solvent. But please stop the whining about spending.


Poor Fitzy, still obsessed wtih trash after all these years.
Taxed Out
 

Postby RBarnes » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:17 am

Mark, I think what Mike is saying is that the haulers have proven we don't need the transfer station at all since all but one take trash directly out of town... the law says the town must "provide access", well as long as there are haulers in business there's access. So why if they don't need the transfer station should we continue to run a town department that isn't nessisary and apparently isn't needed to comply with the law?

Mike feel free to correct me if I'm summing up your argument incorrectly.
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
User avatar
RBarnes
 
Posts: 6852
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:21 pm
Location: Merrimack

Postby Fitzy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:54 pm

Taxed Out wrote: Poor Fitzy, still obsessed wtih trash after all these years.


Not me, my involvement with trash ended the minute I moved. Not just the municipal kind, but also that special breed known as "PWT" like yourself.

"Taxed Out"...what a laugh. Do you people ever get tired of whining?

You live in NH in case you forgot. Its easy, follow the bouncing ball:

Property taxes ONLY + developer-friendly zoning laws + sprawl from the cities + cheap real estate = Ever-increasing taxes. More and more houses get built, more and services are needed. The end. MMK is perfectly located between two large cities and 15 minutes from the airport. The people moving in and building $500K homes with a $12K tax rate are not going to tolerate a library the size of a frigin' gas station. As it is I'd bet 50% of the homes in that town prior to the reval didn't pay enough taxes to cover their use of the services.

I suggest you try Rochester. They love their trash there as well and there's plenty of it. You can even visit MMK's trash for old times sake.
It's better to be discontent with knowledge than happy due to ignorance
Fitzy
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:40 pm

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:32 pm

Fitzy

The people moving in and building $500K homes with a $12K tax rate are not going to tolerate a library the size of a frigin' gas station. As it is I'd bet 50% of the homes in that town prior to the reval didn't pay enough taxes to cover their use of the services.


Talk about PWT. You sure talk the talk. :cry:

And you know what I say to the 500k hoitsy toitsy folks who move here. The library didn't shrink since you moved here. They were perfectly aware of what services the town offers. This has NEVER been a 500k type of town. The people who need that type of high class environment should move to Amherst.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios
 
Posts: 9306
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:36 pm
Location: Jessica Drive Merrimack

Next

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron