Another municipality's curbside program

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Another municipality's curbside program

Postby Michael Pelletier » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:10 am

The San Francisco Chronicle - Friday, December 9

Pressure on the mayor -- including a call by City Councilman Dave Cortese for his resignation -- intensified this week when investigator Chris Scott Graham of Dechert LLP essentially confirmed what a Santa Clara County civil grand jury reported in June: Gonzales allegedly cut a backroom deal in 2000 that eventually ensured an $11.25 million pay increase for the garbage collectors -- without telling the City Council.

Although Gonzales had denied the grand jury's allegations back then, he issued a written apology Wednesday.

"With the benefit of hindsight, it's clear that I should have handled these matters differently," Gonzales' statement said. "As I have previously stated, I should have disclosed more information sooner to the City Council and the public regarding all the issues related to the Norcal contract, labor costs and garbage rates."

The Santa Clara County district attorney is also considering whether any criminal investigation should take place, and expects to make an announcement today or Monday.
Michael Pelletier

Postby Jim Bass » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:36 am

Michael,

Excellent post!

If they had a transfer station and the option of private trash pickup they wouldn't have that problem.

Thanks,
Jim Bass

Postby Fitzy » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:57 am

Interesting Mike, but I hope you weren't comparing Santa Clara county in CA (I'm there once a month) with Merrimack, NH. There must be a million people living there.

Corruption is corruption and suggesting that curbside collection is the "cause" and a TS the "solution" would be kinda stupid. Know what I mean?
It's better to be discontent with knowledge than happy due to ignorance
Fitzy

Postby RBarnes » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:43 am

Michael Pelletier wrote:Gonzales allegedly cut a backroom deal in 2000 that eventually ensured an $11.25 million pay increase for the garbage collectors -- without telling the City Council.

Jim Bass wrote:If they had a transfer station and the option of private trash pickup they wouldn't have that problem.

Jim, as Mark already pointed out to suggest crooked dealings over wages are ONLY a product is curbside where a transfer station having an equal amount of employees working for it would be exempt is out right ignorant.

And I hate to tell you we’re not far off from this as to what has been going on last year and again this year here in Merrimack.

As a result of the wage study the town push wage increases past the bud com last year without telling us where the money was going or even how much per position it would be going. And they are doing the same thing again this year as there is a line item in the budget called wage study adjustments which again are salary increases they plan to implement and there is no clue as to where those adjustments would be taking place.

The root cause is GOVERNMENT, not curbside pickup!
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Fitzy » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:35 pm

No Rick!!

Don't you see??? Curbside collection of your waste is bad, bad, bad!!!!

Unless of course you're in the business and a few thousand dolts are willing to subsidize you in the name of choice (and give family members used computers from the "swap shop"), after which you take your business elsewhere anyway.

Has "The Buck" mentioned anything lately about fairness or did the other two welfare recipients get him to shut up?
Fitzy

Postby Jeannine Stergios » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:40 pm

Fitzy

Has "The Buck" mentioned anything lately about fairness or did the other two welfare recipients get him to shut up?

Once again you feel the need to drag people through the mud with your character assassinations simply because you lost the trash war. Another lefty sour grapes story. Maybe you should take your own advice (stated at the top of this posting).

The people you refer to as welfare recipients are small business owners trying to make a living. I find these comments some of the meanest and most tasteless you've made to date.
REPUBLICAN - BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN BE ON WELFARE
Jeannine Stergios

Postby RBarnes » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:46 pm

Fitzy wrote:and give family members used computers from the "swap shop"

Actually Mark, the computer drop off point may be a thing of the past very soon.

I was one of the three liaisons this year from the bud com for the solid waste portion of the budget (Norm was one of the two others so he can jump in if I’m misstating anything here) but Ed Chase pointed out to us that it is getting VERY expensive for the town to handle computers and old electronics. That’s actually one of if not the most expensive part of our trash service. He stated that unless things change it’s going to be very likely that the town may have to institute a pay as you throw program for computers and electronics similarly as they currently have in place for tires.

Personally I think we should have a complete pay as you throw (as you already know from being on the AD-Hoc committee that stated flat out the transfer station would only work if we had a PAYT system). It’s foolish that one third of this town is forcing the other two thirds to pay for it’s trash costs. Although based on what I heard from Ed it sounds like the amount of residents using the station is slowly increasing. And based on Buckley’s pleading to the BOS to lower tipping fees I can only guess he’s been slowly losing business. Funny isn’t it that this is the same scenario predicted by those who said the transfer station was a bad idea?
$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found
RBarnes

Postby Norman Phillips » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:07 pm

Yes, Rick. The line item 8388 for "Special Waste Disposal" amounts to $63,200. It includes more than old electronic stuff, such as freon, but it is increasing in amount and cost.

The general PAYT idea is not a good sell, however, since there is too much vested interest in the current plan. ( That was one of the significant dangers anticipated in the TS scheme of things. )
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

Postby Wayne » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:30 pm

Some of the times that I've been to the recycling center, there's a sign that instructs users to toss electronics into the TS with the rest of their trash. How is this causing an additional expense? Is someone somewhere analyzing the contents of the general debris?
Wayne

Postby Michael Pelletier » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:24 pm

The big electronics manufacturers are putting the squeeze on their smaller competitors by working through governments to impose life-cycle environmental requirements on electronic equipment, requiring producer reclamation and banning various kinds of key metals from the production process and requiring costly redesign and retooling, on the theory that a TV set thrown in a landfill will wind up with a few of its little dots of lead-bearing solder somehow polluting some water supply, somewhere.

I'm not surprised that the cost of electronics disposal is rising - the costs to producers are going through the roof.
Michael Pelletier

Postby Fitzy » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:57 am

Jeannine Stergios wrote:Fitzy

Once again you feel the need to drag people through the mud with your character assassinations simply because you lost the trash war. Another lefty sour grapes story. Maybe you should take your own advice (stated at the top of this posting).

The people you refer to as welfare recipients are small business owners trying to make a living. I find these comments some of the meanest and most tasteless you've made to date.

Uh huh, and I consider asking for MORE of a subsidy after just receiving a $2.1 million gift and the creation of a taxpayer subsidized market a little over the top. Given your constant whining about taxes, I would have imagined you would as well.
Fitzy

Postby IamLowerrtaxes » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:24 pm

Just bumpin Fitsy.
It's easy to support spending other peoples money when you're loaded.
IamLowerrtaxes

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling