Should MMK re-eval need for the transfer station?

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Should Merrimack re-evaluate the need for the transfer station?

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes : 41

Should MMK re-eval need for the transfer station?

Postby Confucius » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:25 am

Should we re-evaluate the need/cost effectiveness of the transfer station? How many years need to go by before we have enough data? I go there to recycle and it is never very busy. This includes "prime-time" Saturday morning.

What a huge waste of money for the ongoing maintenance and support of this stank, under used, albatross, when most of the people in town pay for curbside anyway. Yes, if you use anyone of the local trash hauling pirates you have curbside. They just didn't want you to realize this before the TS was brought on-line. Surprise! Now you pay for both curb side *and* the transfer station. How can this possibly be cheaper than just curbside, you say? Good question. Time to ask it again.
Confucius

Postby Shannon Barnes » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:46 am

Well said Oh wise one with funny hat (per your picture). What you call a 3rd generation committee? Would we have the Ad Hoc to the Ad Hoc SWAC? Or can we use SWAC II's info and update the #s to involve a multi-year contract? That may be able to be done as an assignment to town staff. They have to get bids all the time for things. How hard would it be? We have 'x'# of households, 'Y' # of condos, and 'Z' # of Municipal buildings. Start the bidding.

S.
Shannon Barnes

Postby Confucius » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:22 pm

Shannon,

I just hope that whatever commitee they come up with will be listened to by the BoS. The old BoS regime was so heavily predisposed to the t-station that the commitee's recommendations fell on deaf (and dumb) ears. One former voting board member still owns a business on a major route to the t-station. Gee, which way do you think they would vote? No rocket science degree required.

Hey, and lay off the hat huh? They were all the rage in the 4th century BC.
Confucius

Postby Shannon Barnes » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:36 pm

I am brutally aware of the business owner in question and don't buy from that business any more for that reason (my first NH Christmas tree was from there). The same business owner who is on the Planning Board applauded the BOS for digging up my front yard.

The current BOS is under a lot of pressure to find tax breaks and if funding this TS can be quantified as a bad business decision, then it would behoove them to be proactive in its closure.

Re: the hat. If the Queer Eye guys can make over the Red Sox, maybe they will have a special for ancient philosophers.

S.
Shannon Barnes

Postby RBarnes » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:02 pm

93% at say yes at the time of this post....

I think most people understand they were lied to at this point regarding this station. The haulers aren’t using it because of it’s cost therefore their tipping fees aren’t offsetting the impact on our taxes.
RBarnes

Postby T Dutton » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:19 pm

Has anyone requested a public hearing with the BOS to discuss opening a re evaluation? I think that is the place to start. Maybe with enough public pressure the BOS will listen.

Create a petition for the town meeting to e evaluate the transfer station

Does anyome have the facts that show we can save money by a different way to haul trash? Before going to the BOS the hard facts will be needed.
T Dutton

Postby Jim Bass » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:18 pm

GOOD LUCK! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Jim Bass

Postby Muriel Lortie » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:09 pm

Jim,

Aren't you the guy who pretended to be a condo owner at SWM meetings? In reality you were a partner of Less Mess Trash...
Muriel Lortie

Postby Michael Pelletier » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:07 am

You can be a partner in a business and a condo owner at the same time, I'm pretty sure.
Michael Pelletier

Postby RBarnes » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:26 am

Michael Pelletier wrote:You can be a partner in a business and a condo owner at the same time, I'm pretty sure.

Mike, what Muriel is referring to is when the transfer station debate took place someone stepped up claiming to represent the best interests of condo owners. He took part in meetings and continually told condo owners that the transfer station is the best value for them… Others like Carmine V (I’m not even going to try to spell his last name) realized too late and tried to inform the condo owners that they would be billed twice (once for the taxes on the station then a second time with the bill for haulers since there condo associations all require haulers) and they wouldn’t even have the option to save money by self hauling. Soon after the town voted in favor of the station it was found out that the original person who spoke out “on behalf of the condo ownersâ€
RBarnes

Postby Shannon Barnes » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:07 pm

Others like Carmine V (I’m not even going to try to spell his last name)

Good thing you didn't try to spell his last name since you butchered his first name too. His name is Carmen Vacchiano.

Muriel,

The duplicitous fellow you are recalling is Jay Feingold, Mark Mercier's partner in Less Mess.
Shannon Barnes

Postby Michael Pelletier » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:11 pm

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;-)
Michael Pelletier

Postby Jim Bass » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:42 pm

Muriel Lortie wrote:Jim,

Aren't you the guy who pretended to be a condo owner at SWM meetings? In reality you were a partner of Less Mess Trash...

Muriel,

What planet are you from?

I'm not or ever have been in the trash business.

Also, 72% in favor from this forum is much less than I would have thought. Which is a good thing.

Face it. That facility is here to stay. I suggest you put your energy (and tears) elsewhere.
Jim Bass

Postby RBarnes » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:09 am

Jim, I have a question for you… what exactly is your motivation for wanting a facility that has been clearly proven by the fact none of the local haulers use it that is not needed and is perhaps the largest waste of tax dollars in this town?

Do you enjoy your high tax bills? Do you have extra money and not know what to do with it? I just don’t get your fascination with this clearly failing burden on Merrimack taxpayers.
RBarnes

Postby lowerrtaxes » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:38 am

I'll tell you my reason for it...

So I can dunp my trash any time and any day.

Simple as that.
STOP GOVERNMENT GREED
STOP GOVERNMENT SPRAWL
lowerrtaxes

Next

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling