Safety Concerns With Proposed Curbside

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Safety Concerns With Proposed Curbside

Postby Jim Bass » Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:31 pm

Mr. Phillips seems not to see the forest through the trees. I was at the BC meeting, witnessed his performance, and perhaps, down the road, (no pun intended) improvements may be needed to to accomodate the hauler's vehicles.

His neighbors on Edward Lane, however, must be quite disappointed that his curbside scheme doesn't include improvements to his own neighborhood! Recently I had the pleasure to be in a mexican standoff on this "road" which is highly congested and deep in the Wildcat Falls neighborhood. Two small automobiles cannot navigate this "trail" without one vehicle nosing into a random driveway or climbing a snow bank. Now, picture if you will, a 45,000LB trash compacting truck head to head with a school bus. Add some snow, numerous 45gal containers, recycle bins, and a child or two. NOW LET'S TALK ABOUT SAFETY!

The costs for road improvements to accomodate curbside would dwarf any widening project for a couple of hundred feet of Lawrence Road. There are many roads even smaller than Norm's Edward Lane. Did anybody from pro-curbside even think of discussing this with DPW?

That's what I thought...We all know the answer. I don't need pretty little pictures.
Jim Bass

Postby Muriel Lortie » Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:53 am

Jim,
Were you the gentleman that was sitting next to Mark Mercier (local hauler) and was whispering and snickering loudly through the whole meeting?

Why didn't you get up and speak? You had your chance to tell the town why you think a TF on Lawrence/Fearon Road is the way to go. :roll:
Muriel Lortie

Postby Denise O'Dwyer » Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:50 am

Jim,
Gee that sounds familiar. I knew that some one would come back at me with that. The trash pick up truck you talk about will not be going 40mph down that road. A trash pick up truck is not as big as the trucks that would be hauling the trash from Lawrence road. All the pro-TS supports have a valid point as a truck stopped in the road. But as I said before people who know there is a trash pickup truck in their neighborhood area tend to go slow. If someone is stupid enough to try and take on one of those trucks then they deserve what ever comes their way. If a bus driver tried to do that I would hope the school department fires that driver for endangering those kids.
My point seems to get lost in all of that rhetoric “Betty” and “DA” throw around. My issue is, a big truck going 40 mph in the snow, will not be able to slow down or even stop if it ever comes around one of those corners and a bus is stopped letting kids get off. Those trucks do not stop when I try to turn onto my street. They plow up onto the lawns of the residents on that street not even slowing down. Why would it be different?
You state that improvements may be needed to Lawrence road. It is not just Lawrence road that would need improvement, it will be from where Lawrence meets Bedford road down to the intersection of rte 3. Even at the intersection at Bedford Rd. & Rte 3 would need to be fixed. We are talking about a lot of money. Taking property from the homeowners on these roads, are they aware they could lose some of their land? Will they be notified by the town before the April town meeting? Will see their property taxes reduced because the town would take portions of their land? What about the intersection at Bedford rd and rte 3? Will the money come from the CIP Fund to fix that intersection? What route will the trucks take during those improvements? Seems to me there will be a lot more neighborhoods unconvinced by this than originally thought. Do you think those residents will like 5-10 trucks going up and down their road everyday while repairs are being done?
Let’s say the vote is to put a TS does pass on Lawrence road. What happens if it is a big mistake, a big money pit? How long do we give it to succeed? 2, 5, 10 years? At what point to we say we should have tried curbside and looked for a “good Plan B”, we made a big mistake putting it there? Or would you never admit to a mistake that big?
I don’t have a closed mind on the subject. I just want to know all the facts. Where is the information that condos won’t be included? I am not concern what other towns do that is their choice. We need to do what is right for Merrimack and its residents. The time has come for real change; we cannot keep living in the past.

Denise
Denise O'Dwyer

Re: Safety Concerns With Proposed Curbside

Postby Norman Phillips » Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:02 pm

Jim says
Mr. Phillips seems not to see the forest through the trees. I was at the BC meeting, witnessed his performance, and perhaps, down the road, (no pun intended) improvements may be needed to to accomodate the hauler's vehicles.

His neighbors on Edward Lane, however, must be quite disappointed that his curbside scheme doesn't include improvements to his own neighborhood! Recently I had the pleasure to be in a mexican standoff on this "road" which is highly congested and deep in the Wildcat Falls neighborhood. Two small automobiles cannot navigate this "trail" without one vehicle nosing into a random driveway or climbing a snow bank. Now, picture if you will, a 45,000LB trash compacting truck head to head with a school bus. Add some snow, numerous 45gal containers, recycle bins, and a child or two. NOW LET'S TALK ABOUT SAFETY!

Yes, JIm, let's do. I think you have a good iimagination.
  • No school bus goes down Edward Lane. It is not only narrow, but short enough that students find it easy to walk from their home to the straighter and wider street "John Lane"
  • There is contracted trash pickup, ( in fact I used to hire Mr. Mercier ) and if a trash truck met a car at the 90 degree turn that is located halfway along Edward Lane, someone would have to give, just as two automobiles do now. No doubt about it. But that happens now, and safely so. Because of the narrowness and the curve, all vehicles move slowly !!!
  • The point of this is that nothing would be changed on Edward Lane if we had curbside pickup.

• The costs for road improvements to accomodate curbside would dwarf any widening project for a couple of hundred feet of Lawrence Road. There are many roads even smaller than Norm's Edward Lane. Did anybody from pro-curbside even think of discussing this with DPW?

That's what I thought...We all know the answer. I don't need pretty little pictures.
Right on, Jim, your imagination is enough.
Sincerely, Norm Phillips
Norman Phillips

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling