Its a Mindset Thats Difficult to Overcome

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Its a Mindset Thats Difficult to Overcome

Postby Mark Fitzgerald » Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:56 am

Denise,

You make perfect sense to me. What you're suggesting falls right in line with every decision made to date. Its also the decision any business would make that wants REAL flexibility, not imagined flexibility. The existing site is not suited to accommodate the volume and type of traffic we'd experience with a transfer station. Nothing points more to this than the fact nobody other than "the town" would be allowed to entertain the idea of placing such an enterprise in this area. It wouldn't even be discussed as a possibility. Perhaps others reading this thread can now understand my position more clearly.

You see Denise, betty has this feeling of entitlement that she can't let go of. Logic, planning or consideration of what the future may hold play no part in a mindset such as this. It’s the Achilles heel of good planning because its not based on the problem/project at hand. This mindset is instead based on a personal desire to retain the “value” of things that either don’t fit the problem anymore or have outlived their usefulness. An analogy every guy can relate to (even Mr. Betty): Its like continuing to make repairs to that old lawnmower because it “feels” better than buying a new one. With every repair we make, we become that much more committed (by our ego) to making the next repair. On and on it goes until eventually we must buy the new mower and we feel dumb as dirt for not buying it in the first place. We tell ourselves and others that the mower doesn't owe us a dime, that we made it last longer than it should have, bla bla bla, But we know inside we threw away a whole bunch of money, trying to save money. Let me give you one example of how this shortsighted view could bite us when discussing a transfer station at the existing site:

The bridge on Bedford Road will be replaced in 2005 or 2006. It currently is rated somewhere around a “30” of a possible “100” by the NHDOT. I don’t know exactly what this means, but I can tell you its currently held up with 2x6’s propped up between it and a running stream (not good). At his appearance before the Ad-hoc committee, DPW Director Chesley indicated the reconstruction could take between 6 and 12 months. Bedford has recently shut its roads down to thru truck traffic. Two questions:

1. How will users get to the facility if its at the existing site?
2. If we are able to get to the site, how will we get the trash out?
Is the “plan” to use Bean Road? Is the plan to fly it out (if it even gets there in the first place)? What will we do? Ask “betty” and “DA” to figure it out then?
Mark Fitzgerald

Postby Denise O'Dwyer » Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:27 am

Mark,

I believe that "betty's" thinking is the BOS. The BOS should not be thinking about saving face at this point in time, they should be think how to make this town a better, safe place for it citizens.
I believe that the town has failed it's citizens, it is not just the BOS but other boards in this town. They have known for years that the landfill is closing. Instead of planning for the future, setting guidelines for town growth, they let the town go out of control, leaving no room to place a "full blown TS" except in the NW part of town in a residential area. If they knew all long (20 yrs ago) they wanted a TS why wouldn't they set aside a parcel of land?
Don't get me wrong I am grateful for the time and energy these people put into the town, I know I would not want to do it.; I believe it is time for a New Merrimack. It is time to get the new comers in this town involved. This town should and can rise above all the problems we are facing in the near future. The SW issue, the overcrowding of schools, the new library, all we need is a vision and the guts to go after it.
I am glad I am involved; I look forward to the coming years.
Denise
Denise O'Dwyer

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:30 pm

1. How will users get to the facility if its at the existing site?
2. If we are able to get to the site, how will we get the trash out?
Is the “plan” to use Bean Road? Is the plan to fly it out (if it even gets there in the first place)? What will we do? Ask “betty” and “DA” to figure it out then?

Youv'e got to be kidding. All the solutions you have come up with to get this off your road and you don't think this can be accomplished. Their are bridges built everyday on major 2,3,and 4 lane highways. How did we ever get to the Massachusetts border when the highway was revamped. I did not fly to Massachusetts once in that time. Seems to me their are bright engineers that this would be a simple solution to overcome. I will let the professionals figure it out. Your mentality and we all know why is can't can't can't, Mine is CAN DO. Give the people a choice, Curbside or Transfer facility on LR.
Devils Advocate

Postby Mark Fitzgerald » Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:33 pm

Denise,

Have you noticed that not a single BOS member other than McCray has stated which option they believe would best serve the community and why? They have been so focused on finding a way to "undo" Article 25 and dupe the BC that they've once again lost focus on the problem. Its not LR, its the fact the landfill is closing and they have no plan in place.

I was at the BC meeting the other evening. The BOS zeroed out (hey, we should tell betty) the Town Manager's itemized curbside budget and lumped it into a single fund called "solid waste disposal". When asked how this fund in combination with the 3rd article would be used to implement a transfer station, the BOS Chairman was unable (or unwilling) to answer. Imagine, the BOS eliminates specified money in the TM budget, generalizes it, can't define what it will be used for and then gets indignent when the BC asks for clarification.

Worst of all is the the poor staff was being asked to answer questions that could ONLY be answered by the BOS, since it was they who zeroed out and renamed the line item. The Town Manager actually didn't think it appropriate for Chip to be asked questions about a budget neither he nor the Town Manager had anything to do with or know anything about. If it were not so concerning, it would be comical. You should have seen it. The Town Manager looking at the BOS Chairman to answer questions ONLY the Chairman can answer, and the Chairman staring at the floor and responding "you guys are better with numbers than me". Did he not prepare even a little bit?
Mark Fitzgerald

Postby Mark Fitzgerald » Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:35 pm

DA,

I'm not kidding, I'm quoting the DPW Director. Should I ignore his testimony?
Mark Fitzgerald

Postby Mark Fitzgerald » Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:39 pm

DA,

Let me ask you. who shall we lay off if the BOS "plan" doesn't fall exactly into place? Policemen? Firemen?

I suggest you WATCH the BC meeting and LISTEN to the Town Manager. He and Chesley are both worried that THERE WILL NOT BE ENOUGH MONEY IN THE BUDGET TO TAKE CARE OF SOLID WASTE. Since there IS a state mandate to handle the town's trash and there is NOT the same for full-time police or fire departments, guess what goes?

When I told you a long time ago that funding a TS entirely on the tax rate was a problem, this is where I was heading. Don't believe me if you like, but its the truth.
Mark Fitzgerald

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:51 pm

Mark, I sure would ignore it. If you and the DPW do not believe in this day an age a bridge can be constructed and worked around there is nothing more I can say about it. Major highway rebuilt no problem. Tiny bridge major hurdle. Statements like that baffle me. As far as the tax rate, I have no problem putting in on my tax bill. In fact I believe that is the only equitable way to go. I know you will say it is not equitable for this person and that business. whatever. If everyone is paying the same rate on their bills what can be more fairer than that. If people still choose to use curbside after that, It is because it is convienent for them. My biggest problem, and I am starting to sound like a broken record is choice. I think every person in this town should have that right to choose. I am not seeing that from curbside advocates.
Devils Advocate

Postby Mark Fitzgerald » Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:10 pm

DA,

I'm only going by what I'm told about the bridge.

You missed my point about the taxes DA. I asked you a question, so please answer it.

In the event nothing passes this year (including the budget, now that the BOS has either too much or too little in it, this has happened before), what other service are you ready to do without? We would have to operate on a default budget, which would only have LANDFILL operating costs. These would only cover 1/3 of curbside costs and 1/6 of TS costs (its higher for a TS because of the $1.7M up-front cost). Where is the rest of the money going to come from? Do you understand?

Put simply DA with generic numbers:

THIS year's budget is $25,000,000, $450,000 is for solid waste (landfill)

NEXT YEAR's costs for solid waste will be between $1,800,000 and $2,900,000.

NEXT YEAR's Budget therefore must account for the increase to $26,800,000 - 27,900,000 (depending on the program).

If the budget AND the 3rd Article are turned down by the voters, we go back BY LAW to the $25,000,000, BUT STILL HAVE TO PAY OUT THE INCREASE CUZ' THE LANDFILL IS CLOSED.

Someone has to go in this event. YOU tell ME who it is. Its all about CHOICE after all, right? OK, you make this choice DA.........
Mark Fitzgerald

Postby betty » Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:25 pm

Busy day at work Mark?

look at the clock, almost time to go home.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Whew what a hard days work.

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

sign me up for a job like yours.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Betty
betty

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:29 pm

Mark, everything is gloom and doom with you. I guess we will cross that bridge when we come to it. No pun intended. Who has to go. Well if we go curbside, we know the private contracters in town will be out of business. But their jobs are expendable, they are much less important in your mind than police and fireman. But I am sure not to their immediate families. So no Mark, I will not answer that question. Lets get rid of the fireman, lets get rid of the policemen. Just another scare tactic. I trust the people to do the right thing. If you want to cut anything it does not necessarily have to be manpower. I attend these 4th of July parades and am amazed at the hardware (Fire Engines, Police Cars). Millions of dollars of equipment. Lets cut some spending there. I am sure there are many ways to trim the budget without laying of people.
Devils Advocate

Postby Mark Fitzgerald » Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:45 pm

DA,

Refusing to answer the question doesn't make the problem go away. I didn't make this up DA, the Town Manager, DPW Director and Finance Director all stated so at the BC meeting. Are they all part of "the crew" as well?

The local haulers had the world handed to them on a silver platter and no bid. All they had to do was agree to collect recycling and get bonded. That was a business decision they made for themselves and I take no responsibility for it.
Mark Fitzgerald

Postby betty » Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:48 pm

That would never have happened anyway Mark.

As you well know the cheapest bid was for the whole town.

The contractors knew it too so they decided not to play your game.

Almost 5 PM, you'll be able to go home soon from you "hard day"

Betty
betty

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:55 pm

Quote - Mark F.

It still means nothing without your name DA. Its like a voice in the wind.

Mark, I guess I speak a foreign lanquage to you. That is why in the past I have asked you to not waste your time responding to me. But I guess you like talking with a voice in the wind as you put it. I cannot spell out any clearer my last post. If you can not understand it, their is nothing more to say. That was an answer, just not the one you wanted to hear.
Devils Advocate

Postby Mark Fitzgerald » Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:02 pm

The bid for the entire town was the cheapest yes, but that was because it was the ONLY bid the town received. One of the bids even had them delivering to a MERRIMACK transfer station. Result???? No bid.
Mark Fitzgerald

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling