Alternate uses for TS Site

Moderator: The Merrimack Volunteer Moderators

Alternate uses for TS Site

Postby Shannon Barnes » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:51 am

What do you think would be a good use for the TS Site? Ball fields? Golf Course? Teenage party site (KIDDING!!!)?
Shannon Barnes

Postby RBarnes » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:12 pm

I still think with all that acreage the town has there that it would make a wonderful golf course. The transfer station itself would be a perfect clubhouse with plenty of parking for the carts.

And instead of being something costing this town millions a year it would be a source of revenue. Win win situation as I see it.
RBarnes

Postby Shannon Barnes » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:34 pm

I guess all of the garbage men will want to golf in Bow, though.

I think a golf course is good, but we have to think about the recycling center which would still be in use, too. the TS would be useful for the maintenance equipment for the course, though.

The golf course would be located behind the old dump in the acreage the town owns (over 100 acres I believe). The entrance may be best suited off of West Rd in that case so the recycling center traffic flow stays independent of a golf course.

Just a theory.

Another idea--fields (soccer, baseball) which are needed by the MYA. I am not sure the land is good for that, but the Parks & Rec Dept would study the prospect if viable.

S.
Shannon Barnes

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:42 pm

Scituate MA closed it's dump in the 90s and built a golf course on land adjacent to the landfill. The town shelled out a few million to build the course, winning awards and building a beautiful course overlooking Herring Brook. Now almost 10 years later the town still hasn't made money operating the course. I don't think Merrimack would be able to make a public course revenue positive either.

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby Shannon Barnes » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:47 pm

Does Scituate have other courses? Merrimack doesn't and Bedford's is private, right? Which leaves us w/ Amherst as the local public club.

I think a survey (like the dog park) would give a sense of # of users.

S.

(Edited for content purposes)
Shannon Barnes

Postby M@ » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:23 pm

How about building an Outlet Mall on the old dump?

M@ :wink:
Last edited by M@ on Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M@

Postby Shannon Barnes » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:29 pm

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Last edited by Shannon Barnes on Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shannon Barnes

Postby Nat Fairbanks » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:20 pm

Shannon Barnes wrote:Does Scituate have other courses? Merrimack doesn't and Bedford's is private, right? Which leaves us w/ Amherst as the local public club.

Scituate has two other course, I think both are private. A quick search found about 20 other courses in nearby towns. I think that area is pretty well covered. Since I don't play golf I have no idea what demand around here is like. Even though I don't care for the sport of golf, it is nice to walk around the Scituate course in the winter and a scenic course on Lawrence Rd might alleviate some of the sight related problems for neighbors.

-Nat
Nat Fairbanks

Postby Shannon Barnes » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:20 pm

I come from a long line of golfers--with a cousin who was a PGA Club Pro. This is the thing non-golfers love about golf courses--they double nicely as XC skiing trails in the winter. I don't golf (have a dozen times or so), but want to. I am a lefty woman, so I bought a set of clubs. Then I got pregnant and got pregnant again. Hard to swing the club with a hard belly up front (tried it once, didn't go well).

The reason I say a golf course is it is a big deal for business. Many deals in the cable world happened over a round of golf (thus my pregnant attempt--radio contract meeting!). Not only can you make money from memberships, but also greens fees and business memberships. There are tournaments to raise money for charities where maybe the pro shop & clubhouse are where the miney comes from and the course is leased as a donation to the charity.

The right restaurant will bring in non-golfers as well. For a while where I grew up, the country club had the best Italian food in town.

My $0.03 (went kinda long!)

S.

It also creates jobs in areas of maintenance, where the TS workers can become groundskeepers in the summer and in spring & fall maintenance. The clubhouse can operate year round and the restaurant can be leased to a restauranteur for a monthly fee and a % of the net revenues.

There are many options there and it can benefit Merrimackians and more (like the casual, non-committed golfer from Bedford, for example).
Shannon Barnes

Postby Michael Pelletier » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:12 pm

The City of Ann Arbor, where I grew up, is generating electricity from landfill gas to the tune of 1.6 megawatts. Their landfill covers quite a bit more acreage than ours, but this might be something to look into considering the extremely high cost of electricity here - over twice that in Michigan.

Here's the company's page on the Ann Arbor facility:

http://www.landfillenergy.com/popups/annarbor.htm

It'd be interesting to see what the payback period for such a facility would be.
Michael Pelletier

Return to Solid Waste, Landfill & Recycling